Back

RTK Walkthrough Wiki

Quite a lot people in RTK1 mention how they burn out at certain stages, or that they find certain chapters/primitives a challenge, and that it is generally a common thing. This page serves as a kind of index with a list of chapters, and reviews/warnings for each stage of the book; potentially a great motivator, and possibly a burnout prevention system (knowing how fast to go, or that you're at a hard stage, and not the only one finding it difficult must be an incentive).

http://rtkwiki.koohii.com/wiki/Walkthrough

I left a note for every lesson, but I'm sure my advice isn't always the best, so do edit it as you see fit.
Thank you.
Welcome Smile
6-Month Challenge: Get 6-Month Premium for $66 or Premium PLUS for $166 (June 19th - 30th)
JapanesePod101
Not mane people replied to this thread, but I have to say thank you. Before starting a lesson I always check this page out, to prepare myself, to see how long that lesson is going to be, to know if this lesson is going to be hard (that helps me in a way, that when I don't remember some kanji, I just can tell my brains, that it's nothing to worry about, this lesson was hard, not only for me, so it's ok to not remember few... Or more than 50% of what I learnt Big Grin) and so on. I enjoy every second of reading it. Tongue Would be even more awesome if these comments were longer, if there more people who would write their experiences, their tips on how to learn some kanji easier, how to get a better image off it and so on, but w/e, it is how it is. Smile
Edited: 2012-09-10, 11:02 am
Glad it helped! Big Grin It's on the wiki so everyone is free to add what they like wherever. It is extra effort however, so I'm not surprised most people wouldn't bother... Also I did try and keep my comments short, since it's probably a better idea to just do the lesson than spend hours preparing for it Tongue Thanks anyway!
Stickied. Eeew.
Wow, thanks ファブリス!
Hey, thanks for doing this, it's a lot of work, and has cheered me up about getting through the last 400 odd^^
As I'm don't care enough to message people to make a wiki account for one small thing, I'll just post here! (really defeats the purpose of the wiki if you can't easily make alterations to it Tongue)

In the RTK V6, in Lesson 34, Kanji 1382 - Trail says:
Person soil compass taskmaster.
That is the description of Arrogance, Lesson 27, 1054.

It should read:
(Wooden) Leg... Religion [15]

Would be a good note to put on the walk through. Though the kanji isn't in RTK v5 at all.
nbartley Wrote:(really defeats the purpose of the wiki if you can't easily make alterations to it Tongue)
I agree it's not ideal but the fact is very few legit accounts were registered on the Wiki.

As it stands it'as as simple as PMing someone on the forum it's explained in the login/register page of the wiki.
The link is recently down. Can it be fixed? I liked the walkthrough.
Should work now.

I really don't want to spend a few hours right now figuring out MyBB cookies, so I disabled the "automatic authentication" code that I had setup with the old forum. That means new wiki visitors won't be signed in, and can not create an account.
Thanks Fabrice
This is a valuable work and I am thankful to everyone who contributed. I will start learning soon (my book is on shipment from Amazon) and I will check the comments for each chapter just to prepare myself pshycologically.
Hello. So this was a great way to prepare myself psychologically at the start of each lesson, and to know what to expect, or what others went through. Thanks @fronyo for your dedication. I finished RtK1 almost two weeks ago, and I already know what I can do to start repaying this great community for the website, their stories, their tools and their support. Since the Walkthrough was made only for the 4th edition of RtK1, the extra 6 lessons with 156 kanji of the RtK1 Supplement aren't included. I wrote a review for each of these lessons. Feel free to add them below Fronyo's entries. I can't create an account and add them myself, so maybe someone who has a wiki account could do it for me. Smile

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RTK1 SUPPLEMENT WALKTHROUGH - Introduction

If you finished the 2042 kanji from the 4th edition of RtK1, there’s still 156 kanji more to learn in the RtK1 Supplement: https://nirc.nanzan-u.ac.jp/ja/files/201...lement.pdf . This makes a total of 2200 kanji (the 6th edition of RtK1 was updated to include all of them). Going through the supplement feels like going through the whole book again, albeit ten times faster. It’s a good review of most of the primitives introduced in the book, as well as a good introduction to traditional and simplified forms of primitives and kanji. You will also notice that, in comparison, the keywords are a bit more obscure and inaccurate sometimes (Heisig tries to fit them with all the other 2000+ keywords without clashing), but on the other hand the Koohii stories are generally of better quality (before 2010 most of these stories were only written, seen and voted by people doing RtK3). Also, note that while the supplement does include essential kanji like 俺 or 誰, it also includes kanji that are only used frequently in a specific word (examples: 曖昧 or 挨拶). In these latter cases it probably makes sense learning the word with the kanji too, since it’s where you’ll see the kanji in 99% of the cases! Anyway, brace yourself, and let’s sprint to the finish!

Lesson 57 [+18] [→2060] [~140]
KameDemaK: Did you miss Heisig’s stories in Part One? Wink Then you’re in for a treat here. I liked reading Heisig again, even if just for the nostalgia. His full stories here are actually not that bad (in Part One I only found like 10% of them to be useful, here it was about 33%), and they’re not too long either. Be careful with the inaccurate keywords for 唄, 貼 and 汰. Otherwise this lesson will be VERY easy by this stage, and a nice review of the primitives that you learned long ago now.

Lesson 58 [+21] [→2081] [~119]
KameDemaK: Time to relive Part Two in this lesson. Actually, I didn’t find a big difference between Heisig’s comments in this lesson and the previous one, funnily enough. The usefulness of his stories did go back down to 10% for me, unfortunately. I also had to look up the keywords for 詮, 訃 and 妖, since I’m not a native English speaker. In this lesson you will start to note significant differences between traditional and modern versions of certain kanji, like 喩 and 葛.  You also encounter 妖 and 沃, which means it’s time to note the difference between 夭 and 天, if you hadn’t already. Heisig did not make a difference between them in previous editions of RtK1 and we can now see why that was a mistake. Fortunately he did correct this in the 6th edition.

Lesson 59 [+32] [→2113] [~087]
KameDemaK: Back to Part Three, i.e. no Heisig ramblings. This lesson reminded me of the tough heart, state of mind and hand-related primitives from the burdensome lessons 22 and 23. You should already be a pro dealing with those, probably with personifications like “Data” or “Fingers the Thief”. It took me personally a while to come up with a good story for 弄, 桁, 稽, 勃, 膝 and 箋. Some keywords like 萎 and 勾 can definitely be improved. All in all, not the easiest primitives, 10 more kanji than the previous two lessons and some obscure keywords. Definitely a step up in difficulty since the beginning of the supplement. But we’re kanji masters by now, we can tackle this and much more. Wink With the end of this lesson you’re through halfway of the supplement and you have less than 100 kanji left! Smile

Lesson 60 [+30] [→2143] [~057]
KameDemaK: I was glad to see Mr T again. Apart from him, there aren’t really any primitive groupings in this lesson. Don’t trip here: there are some tricky shapes (see 傲, 臼, 彙 and 釜), abstract keywords (伎, 俺 and 弥) and especially keywords that you might easily confuse with previous ones (侶, 俺, 膳, 斬, 毀, 溺, 阜, 踪, 鍋 and 窟 – I ended up changing the keywords for most of these kanji to avoid confusion). Special mention goes to basket/cage, which has two official entries in Koohii (篭 and 籠), yet both are one same kanji (the traditional form is still used much more than the newer, simplified form). Definitely do not rush this lesson, even if you’re sprinting, since these aren’t straight forward kanji for the most part.

Lesson 61 [+28] [→2171] [~029]
KameDemaK: In contrast to the previous lesson, I found Heisig’s keywords here quite accurate and ended up changing very few. With the exception of 爽, there’s also no “strange-shape” kanji. The challenge for me here was recalling certain kanji components which had only appeared once before in the book, like in 緻, 畿, 遜, 湧, 瑠, 璃, 塞, 醒, 捻 and 慄. You won’t have this problem if you follow the 6th edition order, but if you do the supplement after the 4th edition order, it’s a good idea to review the kanji components learned a while ago and try to repeat some of the imagery used there, like Heisig suggests. Be careful also with the overlapping meaning of 瑠, 藍 and 璃 – different shades of blue require different kanji apparently! Anyway, once you’re done you’ll have less than 30 kanji left! Can you see the light at the end of the tunnel?

Lesson 62 [+29] [→2200] [~000]
KameDemaK: This last lesson starts with a small grouping of sickness-related kanji. Time to dust off the sick/caveman primitive. Afterwards you’ll get a few strange shapes (那, 貌), strange keywords (潰, 柵, 舷, 畏) and, finally, the infamous “gloom” kanji 鬱, with a total of 29 strokes! Enjoy Heisig’s last story, which is certainly the longest he has written. Admit it, once you learn 鬱, it will become the kanji you will repeatedly write in front of your friends to show off your hard-gained kanji skills. Wink All in all, this last lesson is not difficult, and it’s a relief that except with 鬱, you don’t have to finish this long journey with too complicated kanji. Last lap, you can do it! Valeant benefici, poenas dent malefici!

Lesson 63 [+0] [→2200] [~000]
KameDemaK: Trolled! There is no lesson 63! =D You’re done with the Kanji Supplement and with RtK1 – congratulations!! Make sure to celebrate this special day in your life in a way that is memorable in the future. Well done, Kanji Master, now good luck in the rest of your journey to Japanese proficiency! Wink