Back

RTK 1 6th ed. deck

I made an Anki deck for the 6th edition of Remembering the Kanji 1. It has all the 2200 characters from the book. I used some of the data from a post here on the forums, as well as manual work and custom scripts to generate it.

Each card is tagged with the lesson number it appears in. The cards have five fields: Keyword, index, Kanji, stroke count and story. The stroke counts are based on KanjiVG data.

You can find the deck here, it's currently a work in progress. I will upload it to AnkiWeb if there are no more issues. https://www.dropbox.com/s/qka2omm5tczaiwz/RTK1-dev.anki

Here's the data used to generate the deck: http://pastebin.com/xgzgFT96 (format: keyword, kanji, index, stroke count, lesson). Instructions to create the deck:

1. create a new deck,
2. create a new model called 'RTK',
3. create the fields: keyword, kanji, index, stroke count, lesson, story
4. import the data file,
5. use this Anki plugin to create the lesson tags: http://pastebin.com/SdE1DnLV (select all cards, run "Create lesson tags" from the menu),
6. remove the lesson field as it's no longer needed,
7. create the templates, set the field info (index etc should be sorted numerically, prevent duplicates...)
Edited: 2012-06-30, 11:39 pm
Like in the Google Doc posted by Katsuo, many of the keywords seem to be incorrect.

I used a script to find the frames that have different keywords in your deck and the "Heisigs Remember the Kanji (RTK) 6th edition" deck:

汎|147|pan-|147|pan
諦|467|give up|467|renunciation
楷|485|block letters|485|block letter
釈|538|rumor / explanation|538|explanation
泡|572|bubbles|572|bubble
雌|605|feminine|605|female
姻|627|windpipe|627|matrimony
咽|628|matrimony|628|windpipe
型|735|mold|735|mould
曖|797|equivocal|797|unclear
勾|800|flexed|800|hooked
雄|804|masculine|804|male
峠|835|mountain peak|835|mountain pass
堂|861|public chamber|861|hall
男|923|male|923|man
勃|930|erection|930|uprising
篭|1022|cage|1022|basket
菓|1203|candy|1203|confectionary
斬|1215|temporarily|1215|chop off
暫|1216|chop off|1216|temporarily
耐|1248|proof|1248|-proof
画|1254|brush-stroke|1254|brush stroke
強|1321|more and more|1321|strong
弥|1322|strong|1322|more and more
懸|1495|modest|1495|suspend
遜|1496|suspend|1496|modest
貪|1713|covet|1713|cover
捻|1716|wrenching|1716|wrench
丼|1947|domburi|1947|donburi
舷|2015|carrier|2015|gunwale
般|2016|gunwale|2016|carrier
揖|2057|explanation|2057|interpretation
潟|2195|cinnabar|2195|lagoon
丹|2196|lagoon|2196|cinnabar

The Google Doc and your deck and still use many of the keywords that were changed between the fourth and fifth editions, so I'm assuming at least those ones are wrong. There are also a few kanji that have different frame numbers in the decks. Can anyone tell which ones are correct?

The deck also currently has a few lines that aren't in frame order. For example 47 is after 45.
Hi, thanks. I thought the google document was correct, I checked it in random places and it seemed to check out. But obviously it's wrong Sad

I'll work on fixing it - by frame order you mean the cards weren't added in the correct order? I can easily fix this by simply recreating the deck from scratch using my script. The errors are because the first few chapters were added manually, the rest should be in the correct order as they were imported using a script. But I will have to find a correct index list for RTK1, really annoyed to hear that this wasn't it...
Edited: 2012-06-29, 4:56 am
See this thread for Holiday Countdown Deals (until Dec 15th)
JapanesePod101
I checked 147, 485, 1254 and 1713 in my book. They are:

147: pan-
485: block letters
1254: brush-stroke
1713: covet

(12:33 CEST) I've updated the deck on AnkiWeb, if you don't mind please check it out. I fixed all the differences you pointed out, and the index issue.
Edited: 2012-06-29, 5:33 am
http://forum.koohii.com/showthread.php?p...#pid168393
All of these are correct in my deck Smile
Great, we finally have an almost reliable source for the new keywords. The Google Doc should probably be updated as well.

In many RTK lists 枚 is "sheet of", but in my fourth edition PDF it is shown as "sheet of" only in the index and "a sheet of" in the actual content. Can you check which one it is in the sixth edition?

(I have several Kanji lists on my website, so I'm trying to find the exact keywords in different editions.)
Edited: 2012-06-30, 5:22 am
"RTK1 Edition numbers compared" is designed to compare the numbering of the 6th edition with previous ones. The keyword list is not from the 6th edition.

The main purpose of that spreadsheet is to help those with the 6th Edition who are using the "Reviewing the Kanji" website, which uses the previous numbering system.

I just checked out all the Anki decks I could find for the 6th Edition (five in total) and none of them link correctly to this site. The decks need to incorporate both sets of numbers in the spreadsheet I made, and use the older list when linking. The first 45 numbers link correctly, but after that the numbers diverge.

@andersman. Your deck also needs that modification in order to link correctly. Also the font for the kanji field appears to be Chinese, which causes some anomalies.
Katsuo Wrote:I just checked out all the Anki decks I could find for the 6th Edition (five in total) and none of them link correctly to this site.
Thanks for clearing that up Katsuo.

If you are making a deck linking to this site, please understand that the URL can use the UTF8 encoded character.

Eg: 口 "mouth", frame number 11:

http://kanji.koohii.com/study/kanji/11

http://kanji.koohii.com/study/kanji/口

http://kanji.koohii.com/study/kanji/%E5%8F%A3
ファブリス Wrote:If you are making a deck linking to this site, please understand that the URL can use the UTF8 encoded character.
Ah! I didn't realize that, so scrub what I said above.

In fact two of the Anki decks do link correctly. They are titled as follows:

1. Heisig RTK 1 6th edition (incl 2010 joyo kanji)
2. Heisig RTK 16th edition

So for anyone making an Anki deck, you don't need to bother with the numbers in my spreadsheet, just use the method in the decks above to link.

Edit: I notice the above decks both omit number 1248 耐 "-proof", so we're still waiting for someone to make the perfect deck. Also number 630 回 "-times" the keyword has been replaced with "#NAME?"

Edit 2: After playing around with the above decks for a while I estimate 20 to 30 of the links won't work because the keyword doesn't exactly match the one on the website. So in practice it would be better to link using the actual kanji or the numbers from my spreadsheet.
Katsuo Wrote:The main purpose of that spreadsheet is to help those with the 6th Edition who are using the "Reviewing the Kanji" website, which uses the previous numbering system.
Couldn't you update the keywords though? A few of the frame numbers are still incorrect too.
Edited: 2012-06-30, 9:23 am
lauri_ranta Wrote:A few of the frame numbers are still incorrect too.
Which ones do you think are incorrect?
Katsuo Wrote:
I don't have the sixth edition, but I guess the ones mentioned in the thread linked by toshiromiballza and on my list in the second reply.
There are no discrepancies between the numbers in the spreadsheet and the list in your second reply (I'm using the first keyword, i.e. the left hand side one, on your list to compare) .
Katsuo Wrote:There are no discrepancies between the numbers in the spreadsheet and the list in your second reply (I'm using the first keyword, i.e. the left hand side one, on your list to compare) .
They are the other way around; the ones on the left side were copied from the Google Doc. It's a bit unclear though, sorry. But for example 丹 should be 2196, not 2195.
EDIT (used wrong quote initially)

lauri_ranta Wrote:
Katsuo Wrote:
I don't have the sixth edition, but I guess the ones mentioned in the thread linked by toshiromiballza and on my list in the second reply.
I currently have the 6th edition in my possession so I can take a look and make a list of needed changes. I need to anyways because I'm using the "RTK 1 New Edition.csv" from the Kanji Stories app, which reflects Katsuo's spreadsheet for my personal RTK deck on Anki.
Edited: 2012-06-30, 10:44 am
Katsuo Wrote:"RTK1 Edition numbers compared" is designed to compare the numbering of the 6th edition with previous ones. The keyword list is not from the 6th edition.

The main purpose of that spreadsheet is to help those with the 6th Edition who are using the "Reviewing the Kanji" website, which uses the previous numbering system.

I just checked out all the Anki decks I could find for the 6th Edition (five in total) and none of them link correctly to this site. The decks need to incorporate both sets of numbers in the spreadsheet I made, and use the older list when linking. The first 45 numbers link correctly, but after that the numbers diverge.

@andersman. Your deck also needs that modification in order to link correctly. Also the font for the kanji field appears to be Chinese, which causes some anomalies.
Ah, I thought of that but forgot to fix it. Of course, it's very easy to change: simply edit the template to use {{{Kanji}}} instead of {{{Index}}} when linking.

As for the Chinese font, sure, it's incorrect but not everyone will have the same fonts. I don't think you can set a "font-family" like in CSS (well, unless you actually use CSS, which I suppose I could). I am open to suggestions (which fonts to use, etc).
lauri_ranta Wrote:Great, we finally have an almost reliable source for the new keywords. The Google Doc should probably be updated as well.

In many RTK lists 枚 is "sheet of", but in my fourth edition PDF it is shown as "sheet of" only in the index and "a sheet of" in the actual content. Can you check which one it is in the sixth edition?

(I have several Kanji lists on my website, so I'm trying to find the exact keywords in different editions.)
In the 6th edition: "a sheet of" (354) in the content, "sheet of" in the index.

Edit: I've updated the links in the first post. Changes:

* sheet of -> a sheet of
* the Chinese font -> a Japanese font
* links to this site now uses the kanji instead of the index
Edited: 2012-06-30, 11:41 pm
I don't have a copy of RTK1 6th Edition, but the indexes for it are available online as part of the free sample on Amazon. There are four indexes as follows:

Index I: kanji & number
Index II: primitive elements & page number
Index III: kanji & stroke count
Index IV: keywords and primitives & kanji & number

A couple of months ago I went through Index I, checking the numbers against those in my database. Going through it again today, I found two kinds of problems 1) In some cases corrections I made to my master (offline) database don't appear in the online Google Docs one. I.e. I messed up somewhere. 2) The indexes in the book itself have errors, e.g sometimes the kanji numbers in indexes I and IV don't match.

Details:
my errors:1321, 1322, 1495, 1496, 2015, 2016
Index I errors: 627, 628, 1215, 1216, 2194, 2195, 2196

I've updated the spreadsheet with the changes. Thanks to lauri_ranta.
(By the way, in reply #2 the kanji for number 538 should be 説 rather than 釈.)
andersman Wrote:As for the Chinese font, sure, it's incorrect but not everyone will have the same fonts. I don't think you can set a "font-family" like in CSS (well, unless you actually use CSS, which I suppose I could). I am open to suggestions (which fonts to use, etc).
If someone's computer has different fonts I imagine it would select an alternative Chinese one. Many characters are different in Chinese and Japanese, so using a Chinese font will confuse people.
Katsuo Wrote:I've updated the spreadsheet with the changes.
I compared your spreadsheet and andersman's Anki deck again, and the numbers seem to now be the same. These keywords were still different though.

354|枚|sheet of|a sheet of
467|諦|give up|renunciation
538|説|rumor / explanation|explanation
572|泡|bubbles|bubble
605|雌|feminine|female
735|型|mold|mould
797|曖|equivocal|unclear
800|勾|flexed|hooked
804|雄|masculine|male
835|峠|mountain peak|mountain pass
861|堂|public chamber|hall
923|男|male|man
930|勃|erection|uprising
1022|篭|cage|basket
1203|菓|candy|confectionary
1248|耐|proof|-proof
1716|捻|wrenching|wrench
1947|丼|domburi|donburi
2057|釈|explanation|interpretation

The Amazon preview seemed to match all the kanji in the Anki deck (on the right). Even if the doc was mainly meant for comparing the frame numbers, it's confusing that it currently mixes keywords from different editions.

Katsuo Wrote:(By the way, in reply #2 the kanji for number 538 should be 説 rather than 釈.)
That seems to be an error in the other Anki deck. I tried comparing the kanji in the other deck (left) with andersman's deck and your spreadsheet (right), and there were two other differences as well:

308|喻|喩
538|釈|説
2057|揖|釈

In the index at the Amazon preview these were 喻, 説, and 釈, so 308 is wrong in either your spreadsheet or the index. @andersman, can you check that in the book?
Edited: 2012-07-01, 5:18 am
喻 is the "simplified" form Heisig uses. It's not used in Japanese, but is in Chinese. 喩 is correct, but I think you could write it either way.

Same goes for 箋 (Japanese), 笺 (simplified Chinese).

Edit: Heisig uses 䇳, not 笺.
Edited: 2012-11-04, 6:38 am
lauri_ranta Wrote:The Amazon preview seemed to match all the kanji in the Anki deck (on the right). Even if the doc was mainly meant for comparing the frame numbers, it's confusing that it currently mixes keywords from different editions.
Well, it does state, "Keyword (some may differ with Edition)" at the top, and I don't have a list of 6th Edition keywords. If you have a proof-read list I could add it.

Quote:308|喻|喩
As toshiromiballza says, these two are variants, i.e. different forms of the same character. 喩 is the official form and is also more common. If Heisig put 喻 in the book I'd suggest writing 喩 alongside it with a note.
lauri_ranta Wrote:
Katsuo Wrote:I've updated the spreadsheet with the changes.
I compared your spreadsheet and andersman's Anki deck again, and the numbers seem to now be the same. These keywords were still different though.

354|枚|sheet of|a sheet of
467|諦|give up|renunciation
538|説|rumor / explanation|explanation
572|泡|bubbles|bubble
605|雌|feminine|female
735|型|mold|mould
797|曖|equivocal|unclear
800|勾|flexed|hooked
804|雄|masculine|male
835|峠|mountain peak|mountain pass
861|堂|public chamber|hall
923|男|male|man
930|勃|erection|uprising
1022|篭|cage|basket
1203|菓|candy|confectionary
1248|耐|proof|-proof
1716|捻|wrenching|wrench
1947|丼|domburi|donburi
2057|釈|explanation|interpretation

The Amazon preview seemed to match all the kanji in the Anki deck (on the right). Even if the doc was mainly meant for comparing the frame numbers, it's confusing that it currently mixes keywords from different editions.

Katsuo Wrote:(By the way, in reply #2 the kanji for number 538 should be 説 rather than 釈.)
That seems to be an error in the other Anki deck. I tried comparing the kanji in the other deck (left) with andersman's deck and your spreadsheet (right), and there were two other differences as well:

308|喻|喩
538|釈|説
2057|揖|釈

In the index at the Amazon preview these were 喻, 説, and 釈, so 308 is wrong in either your spreadsheet or the index. @andersman, can you check that in the book?
In my book: 308 = 喻, 538 = 説, 2057 = 釈.
I've uploaded my scripts and data to http://bitbucket.org/anders/rtk-scripts . It's all very hacky!
Edited: 2012-07-02, 5:47 am