Back

Half way!

I just reached 1,102. I should be finished by the end of June if I keep at my current pace (22/day).
Just hit one thousand, at fifty a day I'll either be done or a serial killer in just a few short weeks.
izzetghetto Wrote:Just hit one thousand, at fifty a day I'll either be done or a serial killer in just a few short weeks.
The second thousand are alot harder than the first!
MONSTER Sale Get 28% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! (Oct 16 - 27)
JapanesePod101
john555 Wrote:The second thousand are alot harder than the first!
Just broke 1600 and no homicidal urges just yet, haha.
Just added card 1103. The person primitive was fun!

I should probably learn the kana soon.
Just learned about Lang-8 and HabitRPG, what nice motivation. Hopefully I can fly through the next thousand characters so I can tackle some grammar and vocabulary.
I reached the 1000 mark, yay Smile
I normally add 10 a day, but occasionally I can't make enough time and I only review. I thought I'd try to tackle whole lessons like some of you guys do, but I hesitate, especially since the 2nd half seems challenging and it takes time to find the right story for each kanji. Let's see.
I had tried Anki a couple of times but never got to like it enough, I prefer this site much better.
Oh, regarding the kana, I'm surprised folks have made it halfway RTK without nailing the kana.
I got my kana long before getting into RTK, without much need for mnemonics or stories. I actually had fun learning it, it's not difficult at all.
Just hit 800 (I've made it to about 600 previously).

I know, I know, it's not halfway yet, but it's a milestone for me and I wanted to celebrate! Woohoooo!

Aaaaaaaargh this is the hardest thing I've ever done.

頑張ります!!
Edited: 2015-07-26, 2:16 am
After getting to ~400 last summer, I stopped when school hit (kept reviewing, though - for 9 months), and now I've just reached the 1/2 mark going at 20 kanji/day.

When school starts again this time, I'll probably go down to 10/day, depending on how much time I have, but I definitely won't wait another year again. Heisig says the 2nd half is all downhill, but I've seen some people disagree - we'll see. I hope to finish sometime in November.

Anyway, WOOHOO! XD
Just finished reviewing lesson 27, so as promised in the 500 and counting thread, I've hit the halfway mark a few days (7 to be precise) after reaching 500! Man, the 人 primitive was a bit crazy...

As you guys recommended in the 500 thread, speed really is key, so see you again in the 3/4 thread in a few days! Maybe my original goal of being done before the semester begins is feasible after all!
Edited: 2015-08-18, 3:34 pm
Yesterday I finished Lesson 28, so I'm at 1044 Kanji now. It's still not halfway since in 2010 the Joyo List was updated to 2136, but it does feel halfway through Heisig's book, which has 56 lessons and lesson 28 was more about tying up loose ends before continuing with the second half of the book.

It's taken me over a year to reach the halfway mark, because I take it reeeeally slow. I've found out this is my way and how things stick better to me. I'm also not overwhelmed by reviews and can do many other things. I expect to be done with RtK1 by the end of the year (it's a new year resolution ^^). It will have taken me 2 years to go through it, and I think the satisfaction of doing it will be even greater because of the time it took. Key is consistency more than swiftness!
(2016-01-27, 7:00 am)KameDemaK Wrote: Yesterday I finished Lesson 28, so I'm at 1044 Kanji now. It's still not halfway since in 2010 the Joyo List was updated to 2136, but it does feel halfway through Heisig's book, which has 56 lessons and lesson 28 was more about tying up loose ends before continuing with the second half of the book.

It's taken me over a year to reach the halfway mark, because I take it reeeeally slow. I've found out this is my way and how things stick better to me. I'm also not overwhelmed by reviews and can do many other things. I expect to be done with RtK1 by the end of the year (it's a new year resolution ^^). It will have taken me 2 years to go through it, and I think the satisfaction of doing it will be even greater because of the time it took. Key is consistency more than swiftness!

I don't mean to discourage you, but I highly recommend you not take that long to do RTK if that's the only thing you're doing. I could be wrong, but it seems like you're expecting far better results than RTK can deliver. It does make vocabulary acquisition less painful and faster once you're done with it because you're doing part of it in advance. However, being ahead in kanji comes at the price of falling behind in vocabulary. And there's actually a lot of vocabulary and grammar that you need to learn to be able to read comfortably.

So if you don't want to get RTK out of the way faster, the very least you can do imo is study Japanese as well in the meantime. If you study regularly, you should be able to reach N4 in one year easily. Honestly, you won't be doing much with that much kanji knowledge until you're done with N4 anyway, so keep that in mind.
Edited: 2016-02-01, 9:26 pm
beyond half ... again!

Well, this is actually 4th time I am doing RTK. First time back in 2012 I've got to 1000, second time I just made repetition for around 500 (so nothing serious). Third time, year ago, I've got to 1000 again, but then longer vacation with my wife and another part of flat reconstruction made pile for reviews so big and my retention rate was so bad, that I gave up again. But at least I corrected all bad stories, so this 4th restart was much easier.

Well, why am I doing this? Many small reasons, but no big one.

Since my childhood I am fascinated by mysteries of samurai warriors and Kanji as well. But apart from that I have almost no need for Japanese. I would like also to read some japanese magazines (about scale aircraft), but I can get similar ones in other languages.

Another reason is life / family / work stereotype. And I wanted to do ... something. Language study was good idea, but I didn't want to take courses (I almost hear my wife "you don't need it in your work, you don't need it home, why are you not doing something useful instead?"-with such "encouragement" it makes no sense to give it a try) In work I have quite a big responsibility and make many decisions. And while "self studying" I wanted to avoid everyday decisions what to study next. Well, there are school books and I actually got one huge (divided into three parts) japanese school book, what makes studying in bus/train a bit complicated.

And here comes Heisig with his structured approach, where I don't need to think what to do next, but it still keeps my brain busy. And at least for reviews you need only mobile phone.

My final goal is to understand written language. Now I added 1400 cards with retention rate above 90% (marking smallest mistake as fail). Please, cross the fingers for me to get through RTK as it would make much more sense to start with real Japanese later. (sorry for long post)
Just made it past 1100 on my second run through RTK, the first being more than 6 years ago.

This time around I'm making the effort to put a reading or two on the front of each card. I know a lot more Japanese now than I did the first time around, so these are generally more meaningful to me, and it helps a lot in disambiguating similar keywords. However, it adds a lot of time to the process, and I'm starting to feeling a bit impatient to be done. For a while I was trying to keep to a pace of about 100 reviews per day, but I'm going to try and accelerate a bit now. Hopefully my hand (and my schedule) can handle it - I do almost no handwriting these days, so writing 100+ kanji per day was actually leaving my hand pretty sore at first.
(2016-02-01, 9:23 pm)FlameseeK Wrote:
(2016-01-27, 7:00 am)KameDemaK Wrote: Yesterday I finished Lesson 28, so I'm at 1044 Kanji now. It's still not halfway since in 2010 the Joyo List was updated to 2136, but it does feel halfway through Heisig's book, which has 56 lessons and lesson 28 was more about tying up loose ends before continuing with the second half of the book.

I don't mean to discourage you, but I highly recommend you not take that long to do RTK if that's the only thing you're doing. I could be wrong, but it seems like you're expecting far better results than RTK can deliver. It does make vocabulary acquisition less painful and faster once you're done with it because you're doing part of it in advance. However, being ahead in kanji comes at the price of falling behind in vocabulary. And there's actually a lot of vocabulary and grammar that you need to learn to be able to read comfortably.

So if you don't want to get RTK out of the way faster, the very least you can do imo is study Japanese as well in the meantime. If you study regularly, you should be able to reach N4 in one year easily. Honestly, you won't be doing much with that much kanji knowledge until you're done with N4 anyway, so keep that in mind.
Thanks for your advice. Before I started RtK I had way-above N3 knowledge of 日本語. I was aiming to get N2 but I couldn't retain more than the 500 Basic Kanji through traditional rote method, apart from the pain of confusing the similar ones. I started RtK and I love it so far. Now that I'm outside of Japan I think RtK is an easy way to keep studying "Japanese". I'm getting a bit rusty with the actual language, but I'm impressed of what I can actually understand of written texts. My plan is to return to Japan not before 2017, so by then I hope to have gone through RtK, and then with the language immersion vastly improve my Japanese skills, conquer N2 and, why not, try N1. What I really don't want to do is having to go through RtK again, as some people here do. Also I'm not just doing RtK, I have a master thesis to do. ^^
Edited: 2016-03-16, 12:00 pm
Finally halfway. Started in late February, and had almost got to halfway by late March but took a few weeks off learning because holy week (week before easter) and the week after was crazy busy and stressful for me. Upside, my reviews are much lower right now.

Onward to the next 1100. Hope to finish by the end of May.
Edited: 2016-04-05, 2:41 pm
Wow, great speed, I wish you good luck with second half!
Hello!

I'm going by the fourth edition of RTK1, cross-referencing with the supplement. Today, I…

• Hit frame #1000 (adhere)
• Hit frame #1021 (design)
• Logged 1100+ flash cards

So here I go counting down now. See you all again in another month, and another thread.
Just realized I'm past the halfway mark, woo! Frame 1235.
I'm already encountering kanji out in the wild and it's so much fun to know their meaning.
Doing this alongside full-time university studies, my phase isn't very fast.
I do my reviews (20 to 100) every day but I only manage about 40 new cards a week.
Just feel like plowing through them as it's only downhill from here!
(2017-10-15, 9:02 am)frenger Wrote: Just realized I'm past the halfway mark, woo! Frame 1235.
I'm already encountering kanji out in the wild and it's so much fun to know their meaning.
Doing this alongside full-time university studies, my phase isn't very fast.
I do my reviews (20 to 100) every day but I only manage about 40 new cards a week.
Just feel like plowing through them as it's only downhill from here!

Awesome. Coming up are some tougher Kanji and some really easy ones so just keep pushing through!