Back

Japanese language schools in Tokyo - the good and the bad

activeaero

There are a variety of free community lessons where you'll be getting near 1 on 1 instruction and most of them are free or nearly free.  I quickly realized all I really needed was basically a few hours a week access to a Japanese person who was willing to spend the entire hour devoted to answering my questions.  4hrs per day 5 days per week is just a ton of wasted time.  Everything you do in language school is something you can do on your own even better than the school does it with the exception of simply having an instructor available to ask questions, which is what the few hours a week of community offered classes would cover.

I can't express how interested I'm in this "free community lessons" you're saying. I'm about to leave to Japan and enroll to ISI, can you give me more information about this community lessons?
(2016-09-08, 12:47 am)Bukanzen Wrote: I can't express how interested I'm in this "free community lessons" you're saying. I'm about to leave to Japan and enroll to ISI, can you give me more information about this community lessons?

It's been a few years for me, but I doubt anything has changed regarding this.  Most city halls and community centers had a group of volunteers that give lessons for maybe 100 yen per class.  I just checked the webpage of one of the places I used to go and it is still running.  They were usually 1.5 or 2 hour classes.  One of the ones I went to used Minna No Nihongo, the others had less structured courses.

I used to go to 2 or 3 of these per week, they were in different places and the range of materials and instructions varied widely.  I found that if you showed yourself to be serious and studious they eventually filtered you to decent teachers and not just the old rich guy who wanted to tell you about his trip to matterhorn.

In my experience, 80% plus were older housewives, and the best teachers were studying a language themselves (usually English).

Just show up a bit early for one of the classes, they will get you sorted and try to find the right level for you.  This might take a few classes but it is not like you are wasting money doing it.
(2015-03-02, 10:18 pm)TheVinster Wrote:
Likurichi Wrote:Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if you still need this information but maybe my experience will help someone.
I am currently studying in a Japananese language school in Tokyo, Shinjuku and I'm very happy with it.
Next month I will have 1 year studying in this school. It's a very nice school, the design of the premises is similar with the one of the Google offices and the school is very close to the metro station Okubo and 10 minutes on foot from the big Shinjuku station.
The classes are 3h20' per day 5 days per week in 2 shifts (morning and afternoon) and they are held in Japanese language. At the beginning I was afraid that I couldn't be able to keep up with my colleagues and I wouldn't be able to understand anything but I was wrong. Everything is clear and every teacher has his/her own way of teaching, very interactive and clear. I started from zero and I was surprised that after 3 months of studying with them I could pass the JLPT N5 exam. Besides the fact that they have the lowest course prices, all the materials are included in the course price. The school has a lot of free activities for example this month we will go to Disneyland on the school account.
The stuff is very nice and always pleased to help with everything including job interview preparation and finding a job.
The school provides help also with the visa, accommodation and airport pick up.
You can have a look and more details at JCLI Japanese Language School:
http://es.jclischool.com/
Have a nice staying in Japan!
Like... this has to be a robot, right? Or a bad advertisement?
Not at all. I graduated from JCLI last year (2016) in October. I even have a graduation diploma and I cand send a picture to the admin of this forum.
Sorry for my late reply, I don't spend too much time in forums. 
If you think it's just a bad advertisement well you might be right, it's obvious I'm not a profesional and I don't aim to be that.
You were right I'm not an English native speaker, sorry for my mistake with stuff, I wanted to say staff, I should have revised my post before... English is just one of the 7 languages I speak and I still have to improve...

(2015-03-02, 11:33 pm)Zgarbas Wrote: Licurici means lightning bug in Romanian
Well, it's not exactly Spam, though it's quite obviously an advert; i'll just leave it here for now!
Likurichi-san, please behave like a good user and charm the community into joining your school thanks to your informative and dedicated posts from now on!
I'm open for any kind of questions and yes you are right Licurici means fire fly in Romanian.
Edited: 2017-10-03, 2:58 am
Thanksgiving Sale: 30% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS Subscriptions! (Nov 13 - 22)
JapanesePod101
Quote:English is just one of the 7 languages I speak and I still have to improve...
Romanian confirmed. Weird how your English sounds so Japanese though.