Back

MEXT Scholarship 2012

Anyone else applying this year? I've got the undergrad exams on Tuesday, I don't rate my chances very highly, however (can't be bothered practicing for maths).

I think I should be given the scholarship for going through the damn application process alone, took a freakin' month to prepare that application.
Edited: 2011-06-17, 2:25 am
I'm not applying, but one of my friends who I met in Japan is (we have both gone home to our respective countries now). She is applying for her master's degree though. From what she was telling me, the application process was long and painful, and needed documents in both English and Japanese, including thesis and study plans etc. Not to mention she has had so much trouble with her university giving her the required documents on time. She is now cramming academic/business/JLPT1 level Japanese in order to do well on the Japanese exam she has coming up as part of the application. Luckily her English is really good, so she doesn't have to worry about that Smile

I would have liked to applied, but seeing as I only graduated at the beginning of this month, going into postgrad study, even if it is in Japan, is just way too daunting at the moment.
Edited: 2011-06-17, 5:16 am
I'm just applying for the free 5 years in Japan; but I hear that undergraduate education sucks in Japan, and I can't even apply for my desired course anyway, so I don't particularly care whether I get the scholarship or not.
JapanesePod101
LOL that's the spirit.
I'm a go-getter.
Had the undergrad exams today. It seems that for the first time there was a bigger emphasis on the Japanese exam this year, which went for two hours and was twice as long as the Maths and English exams. Some of the Japanese exam was above JLPT 1 level, I reckon I got 90 - 95% for the Japanese, 100% for the English and 5% for the Maths (could be zero, thought I maybe got at least one question right).
The last question of the Japanese exam was a massive philosophical essay comparing reality to dreams, and was a pain in the arse to decipher with the remaining 5 minutes I had.

I'm the only one in the state going for the undergraduate scholarship, and there was only 1 girl going for the research scholarship, so I might just get lucky.
Hopefully I'll get invited to an interview, wish me luck.

Edit: And damn, it felt good to do some exams for the first time in 8 months or so.
Edited: 2011-06-21, 2:22 am
thecite Wrote:And damn, it felt good to do some exams for the first time in 8 months or so.
WHAT!!! Are you crazy? Wink

No just kidding - sometimes you need an exam or something to keeo the motivation up. Good luck with it, I hope everything turns out ok. I'd like to apply sometime in the not so distant future, but I think I should probably work for a little bit first (although going on a MEXT scholarship would be x10 better...)
Edited: 2011-06-21, 2:39 am
Thanks SendaiDan.

I felt sorry for the girl going for the research scholarship, last year's Japanese exam was half the length, and all you had to do was read news articles and select an answer from multiple choices, she was a bit blown away.
Edited: 2011-06-21, 2:48 am
Yippee! I passed the exams Smile
Now I have an interview in a week or two. Unfortunately I'll need to fork out $200 or so in travel expenses to attend the interview in Melbourne Sad
Edited: 2011-07-13, 9:58 am
Got back from Melbourne yesterday. Caught the early morning train there on Monday morning, stayed a night, then came back on an overnight bus the next day. 22 hours travelling time Sad
The interview went really well, I think I'll get recommended.
They're recommending me to MEXT, hooray! Got the email today, apparently I did "exceptionally well" in the Japanese exam.
Now I have to wait until late December/ early January to see if I get accepted.
Congratulations and good luck!
Woohoo, thecite!! Congratz!~
Woooo!! I got the scholarship, the only successful applicant from Australia!
Congratulations. That's really great news for you. You must be thrilled. Glad to see hard work is paying off.
Thank you erlog, I'm over the moon.
thecite Wrote:Woooo!! I got the scholarship, the only successful applicant from Australia!
Grats!! As I'll be applying in a little less than half a year, please do tell, how were the tests? What was the interview like? Any sort of info I can use to study or prepare, please inform me.
thecite Wrote:I don't particularly care whether I get the scholarship or not.
thecite Wrote:Thank you erlog, I'm over the moon.
Bloody liar!
Haha, I had to prepare myself for failure. After all, I did flunk the maths exam.

But god, I couldn't think of anything worse than being stuck here for the next 3 or 4 years.
Edited: 2011-12-12, 11:52 pm
Well you are from Adelaide...
Fallacy Wrote:
thecite Wrote:Woooo!! I got the scholarship, the only successful applicant from Australia!
Grats!! As I'll be applying in a little less than half a year, please do tell, how were the tests? What was the interview like? Any sort of info I can use to study or prepare, please inform me.
English was easy (for a native), Maths was about year 12 level and Japanese ranged from simple to JLPT N1.

Interview was laid back; half Japanese, half English. Do some research on which universities are best for your desired course, and also how you'll help promote relations between your country and Japan upon returning home. Also, suit up and don't forget to thank your scholarship coordinator every step of the way.
nadiatims Wrote:Well you are from Adelaide...
I've actually been thoroughly enjoying myself since I got back, but 3 more years...
Edited: 2014-04-27, 8:27 pm
thecite Wrote:
Fallacy Wrote:
English was easy (for a native), Maths was about year 12 level and Japanese ranged from simple to JLPT N1.

Interview was laid back; half Japanese, half English. Do some research on which universities are best for your desired course, and also how you'll help promote relations between your country and Japan upon returning home. Also, suit up and don't forget to thank your scholarship coordinator every step of the way.
So for 12 year level math would you say it's more Algebra II or Pre-calculus? In the interview am I expected to be able to speak Japanese with them? Do you know of any good resources to help research Japanese colleges? Also, would it be bad to say I wouldn't mind working in Japan afterwards or do they want you to go back to America to promote relations? Sorry for all the questions, any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Fallacy Wrote:
thecite Wrote:
Fallacy Wrote:Grats!! As I'll be applying in a little less than half a year, please do tell, how were the tests? What was the interview like? Any sort of info I can use to study or prepare, please inform me.

So for 12 year level math would you say it's more Algebra II or Pre-calculus? In the interview am I expected to be able to speak Japanese with them? Do you know of any good resources to help research Japanese colleges? Also, would it be bad to say I wouldn't mind working in Japan afterwards or do they want you to go back to America to promote relations? Sorry for all the questions, any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Work in japan and then go back to your country to improve relations