Back

Using the Japanese IME

The issue I had with that (until I turned off googles 'memorize what I typed' option), is when I for instance typed きょう, the first tab would convert it to 今日は rather than simply 今日. Cause I always converted after the particle.

Made me think I was using it wrongly, perhaps.
You can hit 'tab' only if you want the full phrase the IME is offering you, hit 'space' to convert just the characters you've actually typed, hit 'down-arrow' to look at other completions besides the first one offered. (After hitting 'space', then 'down-arrow' shows alternate conversions instead of alternate completions.)
Interesting, indeed pressing space > enter only converts the characters rather than the suggestions it makes. Exactly what I was looking for.
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
It really does pay to go through your Japanese IME and explore all that it is capable of performing.
Did you know that you can type symbols through your IME too?
ほし -> 星 -> ☆ -> ★ -> ※ -> *
These are just a few of the various symbols you can type.

If you are interested in what the Romaji input is for kana, goto the IME properties, Click on the Editing Tab, under the Editing operation and behavior section click Advanced, then click the Romaji-kana conversion Tab.
It looks like this:
[Image: 95ni.png]

Enjoy and have fun!
madkracker6969 Wrote:It really does pay to go through your Japanese IME and explore all that it is capable of performing.
Did you know that you can type symbols through your IME too?
ほし -> 星 -> ☆ -> ★ -> ※ -> *
These are just a few of the various symbols you can type.

If you are interested in what the Romaji input is for kana, goto the IME properties, Click on the Editing Tab, under the Editing operation and behavior section click Advanced, then click the Romaji-kana conversion Tab.
It looks like this:
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/3797/95ni.png

Enjoy and have fun!
I never knew this table existed. Now I don't have to waste time doing trial and error trying to type certain characters. Thanks a lot!
OS X IME
maru ◯ ● ◎ ◉
onsen ♨
yuki ☃ Google adds ❄❆
ame ☂ Google adds☔
taiyou ☀
yuubinn 〠 〒
まんじ 卍 temple symbol

Google IME
Neko (ΦωΦ)(=^・^=)((≡゚♀゚≡)
いぬ U^ェ^U Uo・ェ・oU

On the OS X IME, Ctrl-Shift-N when the hiragana input is active allows any hiragana reading to be assigned to whatever text is highlighted. I have put some simplified CHinese Characters in my Japanese IME, just because I want to write them sometimes 马=馬=うま,龙=龍=たつ.

Also all the primitives are produced by inputting their name once set up. ふるとり=隹, ⻊=あしへん、亻=にんべん 扌,彳etc.

du=づ, zu=ず
di=ぢ, ji= じ
Edited: 2015-07-30, 3:27 am
I just enter the site and this is very useful. It will improve the use of my keyboard, thanks for the post and the answers.