Back

Using the Japanese IME

Just got a new iMac with OS 10.7 installed on it and I am struggling with the Japanese IME that came bundled with it. Searching Google has bought up plenty of websites explaining how to do the basics but nothing comprehensive so I keep running into trouble.

Anybody know of any good links.

On a related topic, I really like the IME that comes bundled with the iPad. Nobody has seen a hardware version of that lurking in Akihabara have they?
Harpagornes Wrote:Just got a new iMac with OS 10.7 installed on it and I am struggling with the Japanese IME that came bundled with it. Searching Google has bought up plenty of websites explaining how to do the basics but nothing comprehensive so I keep running into trouble.

Anybody know of any good links.

On a related topic, I really like the IME that comes bundled with the iPad. Nobody has seen a hardware version of that lurking in Akihabara have they?
Install Google IME. It's much better.
personally I prefer ATOK. I have mine loaded up with all the major kokugo dics and genius and kanji dics too... which I can reference while selecting the appropriate conversion.

it even has a spellchecker ;D
Thanksgiving Sale: 30% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS Subscriptions! (Nov 13 - 22)
JapanesePod101
Thanks Bokusenou. Haven't downloaded it yet but the video on the page you linked to makes typing seem like a great deal of fun. An IME from Google! Who knows what they will come up with yet.

@dtcamero
Haven't tried ATOK. I remember early versions being around on Japanese word processors in the early 1990s. I am afraid the budget is a little constrained at the moment which has put paid to a descent Japanese dictionary for the time being.

Like my finances, my Japanese studies have been dwindling as well. I hope everyone in the Koohi forum is faring better than I am : )
If your funds are low, a dictionary or IME are probably the last things you should think of buying.
Ah, I forgot to mention ATOK. It's good, but Google IME is more than enough for most people who would rather not pay for an IME. Google IME even has a handwriting recognition pad which is 80 times better than the default Chinese only one.
who said anything about paying for things? by your presence here I suppose you have an internet connection...
Edited: 2012-08-20, 3:31 pm
Not sure if people still read this thread, but I'm having a problem with my Microsoft IME. I can't seem to get a phonetic translation when I try to type in hiragana mode. For example, when I type 'ka' I get this: のち. It seems to have assigned a specific hiragana character to each key on my keypad. This is obviously extremely annoying as I don't want to search around for each individual hiragana character that I want to use.
Anyone know what the problem might be?
I'm using Vista if that makes a difference.
I'm in Windows 7 so it may be different, but: on your language bar, look to the very right side. Is there a button that says "caps" and a button that says "kana"? Press the one that says "kana". That got it to switch for me.

(If your language bar is hidden you will have to click "show language bar.")
Edited: 2013-01-07, 9:10 pm
There's a 'K' with kana characters next to it, but when I select it and type I get individual kana characters just like when I type using hiragana.
A breakdown of what I have: there's an 'H' which gives me hiragana characters, an 'A' which gives me more kana, and an 'L' and 'P' both of which give me roman letters.

It's really annoying. I've tried to find a solution online, but I've come up with nothing.
It's like I have a broken IME
[Image: A2-022-2.jpg]

If this works but kana entry is the default option for some reason, do this:
http://dynabook.com/assistpc/faq/pcdata/....htm#tejun
That particular solution didn't help, but it did point me to the Microsoft IME properties window. Unfortunately for me it's mostly in kanji. I suppose I can try playing around with the different options to see if anything works.
Oh wow, I think I fixed it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Awesome!

ありがと ございます
Edited: 2013-01-07, 10:23 pm
in case nobody mentioned this, go download google ime it's so much better!!
i checked and i'm pretty sure that google doesn't have an ime for Japanese
i dun get it. you just google google ime on google
http://www.google.com/ime/
cool. i'll give it a try, see how it works
For linux, the equivalent is "mozc"
Excuse me, (google) IME question!

From this site (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Japanese/Gr...ansitivity), I am trying to write 返る 'kaeru' (copypasted it). However, all I can get using IME is 帰る and 変える.

Any idea on how I can get it? Or would it simply never make sense to write it like that? Thank you.
On the google IME, if I enter 'kaeru' and hit space enough times I get to 返る, along with many other choices you didn't mention like 蛙 and 買える ...

You may be used to pointing the mouse at the most common 3 choices that pop up as you're typing or something, but there should be more if you use space or down-arrow.
Ah, I see! So then I'm guessing using 返る is hardly ever used as is, and that's why its down on the third page? I found it, anyway. Thank you!
Taelia Wrote:Ah, I see! So then I'm guessing using 返る is hardly ever used as is, and that's why its down on the third page? I found it, anyway. Thank you!
Well, it's more likely to be used in a conjugated form... it's much higher when you type かえってきた for example... but position will move around depending on how you use the IME. There's also just a lot of words that all share the kana spelling かえる.
The IME adapts to what you write, not necessarily what is generally common. If you've used 帰る before it will automatically use it as the most commonly used writing, and the rest are pretty much randomized. If you use 返る once or twice it will come up as the first choice.
Then, another question.
The IME is indeed saving what I wrote, and its saving all sorts of sentences and parts of sentences.
Assuming that ain't the proper way to use the IME, when -should- I be pressing space to convert? Every word? Between particles? After commas and dots?

How do you guys use it?
I tend to use it in short phrases, but I'll often convert simple sentences of common words all at once.

今日はいい天気です is going to be all at once.

I'll convert before a kanji compound if for no other reason, and at the end of anything that feels like a phrase or clause to me, or just because I'm pausing to organize the next few words in my head,
この掲示板に(space)参加させて(space)頂けて(space)はありがたいのです。

Mostly I want to avoid having to use arrow keys to change selection sizes and carefully individually convert several words while remembering -not- to hit the keys that will finalize the entire entry. That usually goes wrong and I have to type it over again. :o