Back

The Last Wave (Radio Drama) Transcription Project

iSoron Wrote:Here's Episode 7. It's about comets and stuff.
(there's one line I'm not sure about; it's marked with a question mark ?)
I doff my cap to you, iSoron. Episode 7 is one of the more difficult ones. It's a pretty interesting story, if true.

I think that line you mention is fine; it seems to be a play on 減り and Halley. I just fiddled around with the formatting a bit after copying it over from the Aegisub file.
I have done my best with number 24... there's a couple of places I'm not sure on and 1 part I can't make out. So if anyone wants to check it go ahead Smile else I'll get a Japanese friend to have a look sometime.

I wasn't sure what to do with the formatting so did it like blogs are often written in Japanese as the content was quite diary like.

Was pretty fun, might start another one later
Lovely, lovely, caivano! I went through it and sorted out the minor parts you had trouble with. Looks great and I think you were right to format it like a blog. お疲れさま!
It's kind of a sad story, isn't it? Why are we so obsessed with how we look?

We've made it to exactly half-way now. Should be downhill from here on...
MONSTER Sale Get 28% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! (Oct 16 - 27)
JapanesePod101
Yeah it's pretty sad. I've nearly done another, number 27 that's kinda uninspiring too.. If I do another I'm gonna find one that's more upbeat...!

Thanks for the changes, I'll go have a look Smile
it's super easy to hear with the script...! even though I couldn't catch it after like 30 times without it :$
caivano Wrote:it's super easy to hear with the script...! even though I couldn't catch it after like 30 times without it :$
I know how you feel. Sometimes I need to check a point with a native speaker. Usually they smile as I smack my head on finding out how blindingly obvious it was. But then, that's exactly why my favourite method of study is some audio and a script.

You're right about the generally depressing tone of this series. It has a lot of humour in there, but the themes are pretty downbeat. I suppose we are talking about the end of the world.
Edited: 2011-02-19, 10:05 pm
36 「初夢」完成しました!
In the midst of this downbeat show comes a glimmer of hope. Maybe the world won't end after all...
I have to hand it to the guy in this one, he does a pretty awesome job. Also, I actually tried to transcribe laughter and stuff this time. Woot.

Glad to see the project coming along well so far. Smile
Just did #17. There were a couple of places I couldn't figure out what was being said. I'd love it if someone could tell me what they are (they're marked with 「???」 in my transcript). Also wasn't sure if I got the guy's name right.

Edit: Did #28 too. One part I'm not sure about here, on the fourth line it sounds like the 「やく」 is somehow part of the 不良債権買取, but it makes sense if it's 約 and it's for the number afterwards. Not sure if I got that right.
Edited: 2011-02-12, 6:52 pm
astendra Wrote:36 「初夢」完成しました!
In the midst of this downbeat show comes a glimmer of hope. Maybe the world won't end after all...
I have to hand it to the guy in this one, he does a pretty awesome job. Also, I actually tried to transcribe laughter and stuff this time. Woot.

Glad to see the project coming along well so far. Smile
Nice one, astendra. The voice acting is once again excellent in this one. Great job on getting his excitement into transcribed form.

And yeah, things are going better than I'd hoped with this so far. I'm starting to think about how to compile everything when we get to the end.

fakewookie Wrote:Just did #17. There were a couple of places I couldn't figure out what was being said. I'd love it if someone could tell me what they are (they're marked with 「???」 in my transcript). Also wasn't sure if I got the guy's name right.

Edit: Did #28 too. One part I'm not sure about here, on the fourth line it sounds like the 「やく」 is somehow part of the 不良債権買取, but it makes sense if it's 約 and it's for the number afterwards. Not sure if I got that right.
Thank you, fakewookie. Those two are both really interesting in very different ways.
I figured out the tricky parts in #17. If I remember correctly, they were 断り, とっくに, and じゃ、聞くわ。 The last one really got me. I was sure, because they were talking about food, she was asking ジャーキー食うは? "Do you eat Jerky?" I had to double check with a native speaker who couldn't stop crying when I told them that. How embarrassing. By the way, you got the name right.

I also agree with 約 in #28. The timing is a little odd, but I once again confirmed it with a native speaker.

Thanks again for your help. We're well on the way to completion now.
Edited: 2011-02-12, 11:36 pm
Thanks.

I've not seen the word とっくに before. I looked it up and got "long ago; already; a long time ago", but I couldn't see how that fits into the sentence so I just left it. Do you know what the meaning of that line is?
fakewookie Wrote:Thanks.

I've not seen the word とっくに before. I looked it up and got "long ago; already; a long time ago", but I couldn't see how that fits into the sentence so I just left it. Do you know what the meaning of that line is?
If you paste the line, you'll make it easier for us. Smile Well, I fixed some minor formatting oversights while at it.

「同じところが一つでもあれば とっくに付き合ってる?」
In this context, とっくに means 'already', as you mentioned, or perhaps 'since long ago'.
"If we had even one thing in common, I'd be going out with you already."
Thanks! Funnily enough, it's just turned up in a drama I'm watching.

http://i56.tinypic.com/efi3kl.jpg

I get it now!

Edit: Did #33 too. I got confused by the title and thought she was saying 愛論書き, "writing a theory of love" or something for a while. :lol:

Only part I wasn't sure about was when at about 2:13 I think she says 何でも出来そうで, but it sounds like she could also be saying 何でも適当で. It sounds like できとう actually.
Edited: 2011-02-13, 3:48 pm
Hi. I thought this was a great project so I wanted to try it. I went ahead and did #46 『穴に』. I hope it's posted correctly on Google Docs. It's already been checked by my native Japanese friend but feel free to check it again anyway to make sure. I'll try to do more if I have the time.

バイちゃ
Cool. I know transcribing (also shadowing) works wonders.
I'm Japanese and I checked #10, #27, and double-checked #46. They are now 99.9999% accurate.
You guys rock! Cool

EDIT: Checked #33 too. Awesome. I just made small changes. Also, you guessed that part right; "何でも適当で、" is correct.
Edited: 2011-02-19, 11:58 am
Thanks alot for sorting out 27 kiki Big Grin
No problem, caivano. Happy to help. Smile
Checked #3. Made sure that the woman's name was リョウコ, not リヨコ.
Edited: 2011-02-19, 12:59 pm
fakewookie Wrote:Edit: Did #33 too. I got confused by the title and thought she was saying 愛論書き, "writing a theory of love" or something for a while. :lol:
Thanks again for your help, fakewookie. That's funny, but I can understand how easy it is to get caught out by that kind of thing.

lexingtonstar Wrote:Hi. I thought this was a great project so I wanted to try it. I went ahead and did #46 『穴に』. I hope it's posted correctly on Google Docs. It's already been checked by my native Japanese friend but feel free to check it again anyway to make sure. I'll try to do more if I have the time.

バイちゃ
Hi, lexingtonstar. I'm really pleased to decided to join in. It looks great and I appreciate you getting it checked by a native speaker.

-kiki- Wrote:Cool. I know transcribing (also shadowing) works wonders.
I'm Japanese and I checked #10, #27, and double-checked #46. They are now 99.9999% accurate.
You guys rock! Cool

EDIT: Checked #33 too. Awesome. I just made small changes. Also, you guessed that part right; "何でも適当で、" is correct.
Thank you so much, kiki. It's very kind of you to help out and check over things for us.
I think you're right about transcribing; it's definitely helping develop my listening and vocabulary skills.
Edited: 2011-03-03, 12:12 pm
Checked #11, #13, #19, and #28.

You're welcome, GreenAirth. Good job with #19. Smile
Yeah, my English listening skills have dramatically improved by transcribing, too.

On #11, I know how hard it is to understand the fish vendor. However, he is a typical Japanese fish vendor; they speak like that in general.
Edited: 2011-02-20, 12:51 pm
No problem, GreenAirth. It's really rewarding. BTW I finished transcribing 16 「穴」 and 32 「ラストラブレター」. They still need to be checked though.
Checked #16 and #32.
Good job, lexingtonstar. Smile
I added a transcript for number 45, 「神になる」
Would someone be so kind as to check it, though? Smile I've also done number 26 and would appreciate checking for that as well! I'm not too worried about 26, but in 45 there are a few things I'm unsure about, which I've highlighted.
lexingtonstar Wrote:No problem, GreenAirth. It's really rewarding. BTW I finished transcribing 16 「穴」 and 32 「ラストラブレター」. They still need to be checked though.
Well, thanks again. It's really motivating to find other people prepared to spend their time on helping out with this kind of thing. I can't imagine how long it would take to do it all by myself.

Another big thank you to kiki as well. It's great to have your support.

Nuriko Wrote:I added a transcript for number 45, 「神になる」
Would someone be so kind as to check it, though? Smile I've also done number 26 and would appreciate checking for that as well! I'm not too worried about 26, but in 45 there are a few things I'm unsure about, which I've highlighted.
And one more thank you to Nuriko. Nice work, and I'm pleased to say your efforts have got us down to just six remaining episodes. My lucky number. Not that that means anything, of course.

- - -

I've been working away on the details behind the scenes: stripping out vocab for a frequency list and putting together an Anki deck. If anyone wants to help out with these bits, just shout.

The vocab part is easy enough; simply copy a transcript, delete all the 'grammar stuff' until you get each vocab or phrase onto its own line, and then paste the contents into the Vocab Frequency spreadsheet. After that, record that the episode has been done on the Stripped Transcripts sheet. It should look something like:

この時
ハレー彗星
地球
衝突する
言われた。
実際
衝突しなかった
地球
ハレー彗星

通過する
わかった。
そして
この時

Notice how there are two instances of この時 and ハレー彗星. Remember we want to get the word and kanji frequencies so don't delete words that come up multiple times. I'm not sure just how useful this is going to be, but it's not such a big deal to put together so I've decided to run with it.

The Anki deck is a bit more of a headache. First, it's a question of deciding what should and shouldn't be included. I've run two episodes through Aegisub discarding all the stuff like うん, はは, or そうですね. And joining together multiple lines to keep context, like: ①なんか、いまいちの人生だったな。②うん、それは言えた。凄ぇいまいちの人生。

After importing the audio and subs into Anki I then added a reading field: ①なんか、いまいちの【じんせい】だったな。②うん、それは【い】えた。【すげ】ぇいまいちの【じんせい】and then Japanese and English definition fields.

So far, I've found the process quite helpful in getting more exposure by working with the material, but it really takes a lot of time. I'll keep at it and see how things progress.
Hi, I checked #26 and #45. Awesome, Nuriko. They were already practically perfect. Big Grin

It's my pleasure, GreenAirth. Good luck with the spin-off projects as well. (Not sure where I can see those vocab sheets you've made, though.)
Edited: 2011-02-23, 9:48 am
I'm doing #47.