Back

Common Japanese Collocations

I just want to know others' opinions of this book "Common Japanese Collocations", if you have bought it. (NB: Collocation means a common grouping of words, I had to look it up). I am about to place a rather large amazon order for a number of Kodansha books which I think will be very helpful to improve my Japanese (namely: Onomatopoeia book, Kanji affixes, Idiom dictionary, and slang dictionary). The Collocation book is the only one I'm not sure if it's actually worth getting. A reviewer on amazon said that it is a waste, and the information could be found in any dictionary, and having looked at the amazon preview, I'm starting to become convinced that this is true.

Thanks if anyone who has used this can share their view. The reason I wanted to get the collocation book was to boost my vocab past the 2500 or so words introduced in my Japanese textbook (JFE). If there are books that perform this function better, I'd appreciate if you could inform me. If not, I'll just stick to Core6k I guess.
Here's some stuff on it: http://forum.koohii.com/showthread.php?p...#pid121789
Edited: 2010-12-18, 1:57 am
I just posted something about it here a few days ago:

http://forum.koohii.com/showthread.php?p...#pid121797

TL;DR: It's okay, and the concept is good, but the organization is a little off-putting for me (organization by situation = ugh), the individual entries under each word are sometimes short and aren't always useful, and you can probably get the same or better info from ALC's online dictionary, or just about any other dictionary, to be honest.
Edited: 2010-12-18, 2:00 am
Breakthrough Sale! Get 28% OFF Basic, Premium or Premium PLUS! (until March 2)
JapanesePod101
I got this one, it's useful if you can find what your looking for. But yeah, it's not exactly organized in a useful way. I just flip through it on occasion. If someone built a real index for it, it could be great.

Which actually might not be too hard, just listing all the header words and their page numbers. A Google spreadsheet anyone?
Well, I got bored and started to type up the entries from this book. If anyone wants to help out it would be much appreciated as this is a bit of a pain to type while holding the book open. Also, is there any extra information we should include?

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=...y=CPG29csH
(reviving old thread...)

Cloze deletion seems like a suitable method for learning & checking collocations, so I uploaded an Anki deck made from the opening pages of this book. Also here is the data in a Google docs spreadsheet.
You can also use AntConc to find collocations/clusters and collocates, in case you've missed my rambles across a variety of random threads.

Right now I'm just looking at generating all clusters frequently occurring in a smallish range of texts grouped by various means, but you can also use much larger corpora and specific searches, including batch searches of lists.

I also forgot to mention in one of my rambles that to get the settings to stick, you need to export settings once you've set them (e.g. language and search settings) and save the resulting .ant file to the .exe's folder (at least that's what works for me).
Hmm, just noticed this old thread and see some people got a start on keying the phrases into a spreadsheet. I've actually done the whole first section of the book (about 860 collocations), but I'm tired of typing everything in and don't know when I might make further progress on it.

I think this is actually a really nice book, and one of the better sources of SRS material that I've come across. I think it would probably be more useful to beginner and intermediate learners than something like core6k.
Most of the vocabulary is actually relevant in real life, as opposed to training you to read a newspaper or whatever. And the phrases are all really short, typically just a noun, particle, and a verb. LOTS of repeated vocabulary across the phrases, and almost everything is i+1.
I have bought "Common Japanese Collocations" some time ago and I was disappointed by its lack of usability, at least as a book (sentence mining is another story). I got the feeling that it was packed with useful stuff but I would be bored to death trying to read it cover to cover, and looking up information is a pain without at least a word index.

But I agree that it would be great to have it in the form of an Anki deck.

Too much work for me to type in so many sentences, though…
I have a deck I made from the collocations in コロケーションが身につく 日本語表現練習帳. It's just over 3/4's of the entire book (926 collocations). The problem is that it's not cloze deleted, which in retrospect I wish I had done. I've now made a replica of the deck and am going through it to make it cloze deleted, but I'll upload the original for anyone interested.

https://mega.co.nz/#!hIY1DaqA!gUYckGUHHH...V45MIHic7I
Edited: 2014-03-01, 11:01 am
CaLeDee Wrote:I've now made a replica of the deck and am going through it to make it cloze deleted, but I'll upload the original for anyone interested.
Oh, wow! I was planning to type it up in the future, so this is really helpful. Thanks!
I decided I'll post what I have typed up from the Common Japanese Collocations book. First chapter, collocations only, no sentences.
https://mega.co.nz/#!8YVXGJZY!pa6h4qq6Pc...MoJe7nbJYI

No idea when I'll get around to adding the other chapters. There's a good 800 something cards here though. I think this is probably one of the most useful resources for any beginner to intermediate learner. Better than core6k in my opinion.
(2014-03-01, 10:58 am)CaLeDee Wrote: I have a deck I made from the collocations in コロケーションが身につく 日本語表現練習帳. It's just over 3/4's of the entire book (926 collocations). The problem is that it's not cloze deleted, which in retrospect I wish I had done. I've now made a replica of the deck and am going through it to make it cloze deleted, but I'll upload the original for anyone interested.

https://mega.co.nz/#!hIY1DaqA!gUYckGUHHH...V45MIHic7I

Thanks for this! Do you by any chance have a complete version of the deck - i.e with all the collocations? If not, I will try to type up the rest.

ありがとうございます!
Hello. I've just bought "Common Japanese Collocations". And the idea to make it into an Anki deck (for later use with moprhman) was the plan I had in mind.
Does anyone did a similar thing? I will continue to add cards following Zarxrax post of the 1st chapter.
Anyone did't already? or interest in sharing the task?

Regards!
(2018-02-02, 4:22 am)metalosaurio Wrote: Hello. I've just bought "Common Japanese Collocations". And the idea to make it into an Anki deck (for later use with moprhman) was the plan I had in mind.
Does anyone did a similar thing? I will continue to add cards following  Zarxrax post of the 1st chapter.
Anyone did't already? or interest in sharing the task?

Regards!

I've finished chapter 2 but maybe I never uploaded onto the spreadsheet yet.
Are you still doing the rest of the book?

I could start with some of the other chapters, I found it to be a great resource, and having it in Anki would make it to actually use the content of the book much more.
It looks like I have just started chapter 3, but I haven't worked on it in a couple of months. If you want to do chapter 4 or later, I might try to start back up on 3 again.
Here is a temporary link to a text file with some of the phrases. Intended for those who already have the book or are thinking of buying it and who want to make some flashcards. I'd be interested to see the Anki deck if somebody makes one.
(2018-02-05, 12:32 am)Katsuo Wrote: Here is a temporary link to a text file with some of the phrases. Intended for those who already have the book or are thinking of buying it and who want to make some flashcards. I'd be interested to see the Anki deck if somebody makes one.

Link doesn't work.
(2018-02-05, 12:32 am)Katsuo Wrote: Here is a temporary link to a text file with some of the phrases. Intended for those who already have the book or are thinking of buying it and who want to make some flashcards. I'd be interested to see the Anki deck if somebody makes one.

Interesting, looks like someone got the full thing typed up, both the collocations and the example sentences. As far as I can tell, it's complete. Shouldn't be difficult at all to turn this into an anki deck.
that's amazing!!!! (link worked for me)
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin 

thanks, that's a huge resource!!
I added a new field to denote whether an entry is a sentence (as opposed to a simple collocation), and I added headings at the top.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zi52usc9zn6nqkz/CJC.tsv?dl=0
It should be able to be imported into anki as is, though I haven't tried it.

I simply determined if an entry was a sentence based on whether the Japanese text contained a 。 character. Looks like it worked for the most part, but I haven't proofread it, so no guarantees that there aren't some misses here and there.
I've turned the file into a very basic Anki deck. I can upload it but I need to learn how to improve the formatting.
I spent all evening cleaning this up some more.
I split out entries that contain alternate versions into seperate entries (added about 300 items), and I removed duplicates (about 40 items).

I fixed a small handful of incorrect readings that I noticed. I imagine there might be several more though.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zi52usc9zn6nqkz/CJC.tsv?dl=0
update: removed excess single quotes; marked some additional sentences

I've previously been studying these as 2 decks, one for recognition, and one with cloze deletion. I find these collocations are really ideal for cloze deletion. For similar items, or items that have identical english translations, I just select the most useful one and delete the others.
Edited: 2018-02-13, 5:08 pm
I have been wondering about this book for a while.  How common are these collocations and how beneficial would it be to study them vs just reading the same amount of time?  Also, is this more beneficial for production?  or can it be helpful for understanding as well?

I took a look at some random collocations and they seemed pretty basic.  Like I don't know how else you would say it besides the way it's written.