Back

Harbaugh/zhongwen.com deck collaboration?

Sorry! I got caught up in moving, life, other projects... I can't say I can help out with the project right now, but if I can I'll join in again later.
No worries at all. Hopefully everything goes well. Feel free to join back in at any time. Thanks for all your help so far.

For now, I'll assume it's just the three of us (me, zonius, and Dempf). Once you've both had the chance to look through the spreadsheet and figured out how it works, here's how I've got it planned out:

35 - zonius
36 - Dempf
37 - bflatnine
39 - zonius
40 - Dempf
41 - bflatnine
43 - zonius
44 - Dempf
45 - bflatnine
47 - zonius
48 - Dempf
49 - bflatnine

As always, some sections are long and some are short. Feel free to pick a short one to work on first to get a feel for it and so I can look over it and make sure it's all formatted right. As always, any characters you can't figure out how to input, let me know in this thread so I can find them. I've gotten pretty good at finding them quickly using the 說文解字.

Any questions, just post here.
Edited: 2010-07-25, 11:51 pm
Been out of touch for awhile. Just finished 36. Please look over it if you can, bflatnine.

Everything was pretty straightforward for me except for 36-13 (貯). Harbaugh lists it as 3rd tone, but many dictionaries seem to list it as 4th tone. I left a note suggesting that 4th tone might also be a correct pronunciation.

I'll try to finish my assigned sections soon, but it may be difficult as I'm moving back to the US on Friday. If it becomes a problem, someone else can feel free to step in and fill my sections.
EPIC SALE: Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! (Sept 18 - 29)
JapanesePod101
Looks great, Dempf. Yes, 貯 is pronounced zhù, but apparently (according to Unihan anyway) zhǔ is another pronunciation. I don't know why Harbaugh used a less common pronunciation but oh well. The note is fine.
Unfortunately this project seems to have fallen apart. However, I have some good news. I was recently contacted by the owner of one of the very websites I was using as a resource during this project and otherwise, and he generously sent me a spreadsheet with all the info from Harbaugh's book, along with references from Wieger's book Chinese Characters when they are available, and a smattering of notes with references to Karlgren and others.

I'm in the process of putting it into a usable form (Anki deck), and I should be able to share the deck this evening. After that I'll begin on the larger project I had in mind: that of including vocab, glosses from 說文 and 康熙, adding Seal Script images, etc. Naturally, anyone who wishes to help is more than welcome, but of course I don't expect much interest in such an academically-oriented (rather than practical) project.

One important point that I think should be mentioned: there are some differences from our original intention. For instance, the components are included in the explanations. The Anki deck will have the explanations in the Answer field, and of course you could alter the cards as you go along if you want to use them as mnemonics but don't want the answer laid out in front of you.

Thanks to everyone who pitched in on this project, and I hope the deck turns out to be as helpful as I think it will.
Ok, the deck is ready for download. It is called "Harbaugh 中文字譜 Deck." Comments and suggestions are appreciated.
Great to hear this project has been completed (more or less)! I won't be using it anytime soon, but it's just nice to know all y'alls hard work has paid off. Good job bflatnine!
Thanks, but really once he sent me the data there wasn't much for me to do.

Another thing I should mention is that the definitions are not from the book, but from other (likely more reliable) dictionaries. I found some of Harbaugh's choices odd, and not just in the definitions, so I see this as a good thing.

Future stages of the project will be announced on my blog as they're completed, but probably not here unless a good deal of interest is shown. I plan to include 說文 and 康熙 glosses, references to other major dictionaries (漢語大字典 and 辭海), Seal Script forms, bronze script and Oracle bone forms (甲骨文) when available, reconstructed Middle Chinese pronunciation, variant forms, 切韻 tones, etc. I also plan to expand it far beyond the characters in Harbaugh's book. Again, if anyone wants to help, you're more than welcome, but be aware that the project will require a lot of time, much of it in the library.
Edited: 2010-12-31, 12:53 am
Hi bflatnine,

How's progess on the deck? I haven't seen any updates on the blog or here. If you haven't cleaned I don't mind, can you share the deck somehow?
Look at Reply #81 above. Smile

"Ok, the deck is ready for download. It is called "Harbaugh 中文字譜 Deck." Comments and suggestions are appreciated."

You can download it through Anki.
So when I go to edit cards in this deck, the cards start displaying this:

{{{Pinyin}}}
{{{Definitions}}}

{{{Simplified}}}
{{{Zipu explanation}}}

This is also displayed in the top part of the browser where different cards are listed, but not the bottom where parts of the card are listed. And my Anki does seem to be up to date.

Do you know how to resolve this issue?
bflatnine:
"After that I'll begin on the larger project I had in mind: that of including vocab, glosses from 說文 and 康熙, adding Seal Script images, etc. Naturally, anyone who wishes to help is more than welcome, but of course I don't expect much interest in such an academically-oriented (rather than practical) project."

I would be willing to help out in creating a new zhongwen.com Anki Deck that includes all the vocab from the book. I'm extremely eager for this kind of deck to exist.

If there's already a deck like this that's available, someone please let me know.
Vanderjohn,

Sorry I'm so late getting to you on this. I have no idea what that could be. I'm no Anki expert, especially now that I've hardly used it in the last 6 months or so (using Pleco now).

Bryos,

As much as I'd love to be able to work on the project now, I simply don't have time. I'm living in Taiwan now, studying Chinese full-time, on top of studying Classical Chinese, French, and German in my spare time. I'll be doing this for the next year and a half or so before beginning grad school, when I really won't have time. Unfortunately, this is probably as far as I'll be going with it, though I'd be happy if you continue on with it.
(2011-01-25, 8:20 am)bflatnine Wrote: Look at Reply #81 above. Smile

"Ok, the deck is ready for download. It is called "Harbaugh 中文字譜 Deck." Comments and suggestions are appreciated."

You can download it through Anki.

The deck is no longer available on the Anki shared decks page.

If someone can share the data, I would appreciate it.