Back

Rikaichan: RevTK Community Edition

Hello,

Rikaisama is a modification of the rikaichan Japanese-English popup dictionary that adds many unique features.

Download the latest version via SourceForge

Please visit the Rikaisama homepage for more information (feature list, installation help, usage, screenshots, known bugs, feature wishlist, version history).

Requires Windows, Linux, or Mac.

As always, Have Fun!
cb4960
Edited: 2015-03-08, 12:19 am
Sounds awesome, will try it out tonight. Would be super cool if it also saved the sound file when you pushed S so you could import words with sound straight into Anki all using just rikaichan. I'm not a programmer so don't know if it's do-able...
Really cool! Thanks a lot for this, cb4960.

I just downloaded it and tried it out. It works for me, but when I hit the key to play the audio, it takes me away from the page I'm on and brings me to the MP3 clip. The navigation bar disappears and hitting backspace doesn't take me back to the page I was at. (I think this might be because QuickTime comes up in Firefox to play the file inside the browser.) Is this what's supposed to happen? Is there any way that I could get the MP3 file to load in a new tab, or to play without having to leave the current page?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Edited: 2010-04-06, 9:32 am
JapanesePod101
Looks great! Just what we need. Does this work from the lookup bar? I only use StarDict for pop-up, because it's not limited to Firefox and I can't imagine going back to Rikaichan-only. All these recent comments and threads where users are stuck with Rikaichan only is kind of saddening. ;p

By the way, StarDict is open source/GNL/etc.: http://code.google.com/p/stardictproject/ - Any chance of modding this? It already features the ability to use certain TTS engines, but I never could get those to work. I think it's only non-Japanese anyway. But JDIC...

http://code.google.com/p/stardictproject...z2&can=2&q=
Edited: 2010-04-04, 10:58 pm
Very cool idea. I second what mezpub said about saving the audio for import into anki. I think however that attaching sound files to each card would massively slow down card production as it needs to be done 1 by 1. The sweet thing about rikaichan is that you can make cards in bulk (say 100 in half an hour), by using the 's' command and importing to anki from a file. If a system could somehow be set up to import and attach the audio file to each card in bulk that would be awesome. Perhaps rikaichan could be modified to output the name of the audiofile from JDIC as a seperate field, and then anki set up to automatically use this information to attach the sound files in bulk. This is just speculation though and I have no idea how to do it. In addition to this, if anki could be set to display random sentences (taken from japanese wikipedia for example) on the answer side and intergrated with some text-to-speach system that would be the ultimate study system in my opinion.
It would give you:
-massively decreased card production time
-pronunciation for each word
-context for each word
-a random sentence for each time you review the word allowing you to better test your comprehension.
-listening practice
shirokuro Wrote:Really cool! Thanks a lot for this, cb4960.

I just downloaded it and tried it out. It works for me, but when I hit the key to play the audio, it takes me away from the page I'm on and brings me to the MP3 clip. The navigation bar disappears and hitting backspace doesn't take me back to the page I was at. (I think this might be because QuickTime comes up in Firefox to play the file inside the browser.) Is this what's supposed to happen? Is there anyway that I could get the MP3 file to load in a new tab, or to play without having to leave the current page?

Thanks a lot in advance.
I don't have the QuickTime plugin installed. When I pressed the D key, it presented me with the usual download dialog:
(radio button) Open with <<Application>>
(radio button) Save File
(check box) Do this automatically for files like this from now on.

I selected the "Open with <<Application>>" option and checked the "Do this automatically for files like this from now on" box so that this dialog wouldn't appear every time.
They do have that tools/options/applications dialogue in Firefox, though I never could get it to work.
I think my Firefox or something is just messed up. I checked my preferences in Firefox and there were two entries for MP3 files. One was set to ask what to do, and the other was set to play using QuickTime. I changed the QuickTime one so that both were set to 'always ask' and restarted Firefox, but it's still doing the same thing, so I don't think this is a problem with the extension. Thanks a lot anyways, cb4960 and nest0r.
Edited: 2010-04-05, 6:00 pm
shirokuro Wrote:I think my Firefox or something is just messed up. I checked my preferences in Firefox and there were two entries for MP3 files. One was set to ask what to do, and the other was set to play using QuickTime. I changed the QuickTime one so that both were set to 'always ask' and restarted Firefox, but it's still doing the same thing, so I don't think this is a problem with the extension. Thanks a lot anyways, cb4960 and nest0r.
Same here. That's what I meant when I said I couldn't get it to work. I dunno. ;/
Great idea. Hope this bug gets fixed soon.
Great idea. You could try to send it to the author of the original plugin and sugges that he adds that improvement.
Great idea, but it probably would have been better to make it for the latest beta. It's much faster and I haven't noticed any problems with it when making my flashcards.
Edited: 2010-04-07, 12:38 pm
shirokuro Wrote:I just downloaded it and tried it out. It works for me, but when I hit the key to play the audio, it takes me away from the page I'm on and brings me to the MP3 clip. The navigation bar disappears and hitting backspace doesn't take me back to the page I was at. (I think this might be because QuickTime comes up in Firefox to play the file inside the browser.) Is this what's supposed to happen? Is there anyway that I could get the MP3 file to load in a new tab, or to play without having to leave the current page?
I have the same problem. Is there any way to fix it?

It would be a very useful tool.
jonjimbo2000 Wrote:
shirokuro Wrote:I just downloaded it and tried it out. It works for me, but when I hit the key to play the audio, it takes me away from the page I'm on and brings me to the MP3 clip. The navigation bar disappears and hitting backspace doesn't take me back to the page I was at. (I think this might be because QuickTime comes up in Firefox to play the file inside the browser.) Is this what's supposed to happen? Is there anyway that I could get the MP3 file to load in a new tab, or to play without having to leave the current page?
I have the same problem. Is there any way to fix it?

It would be a very useful tool.
Do you have the QuickTime plugin installed as well?

Guess I'll have to research a different way to play sounds. While I'm at it, I'll merge my changes into the beta version as Jarvik7 suggested.
Edited: 2010-04-06, 2:15 pm
I disabled the quicktime plugin and it works perfectly now with firefox...great tool!
Amazingly useful! thanks a lot!

For those of you with sound problems, or wanting to download the sound files, you could try set firefox to play mp3 files with an external aplication or always save them in options/applications/audio file (mp3)
This is awesome! But I'm having the same quicktime plugin problem.
I disabled it, and tried to open the audio in VLC, and it worked. However, apparently my computer downloads every single audiofile (just trashed 80 mp3s Tongue), it does not stream it like the Quicktime plugin does.
Any other options here?
Anyway, thank you so much for creating this =)
By the way, a suggestion: Would it be possible to change the "play" button to a key not used that often? It's happened several times today, while writing an e-mail or something, that I unintentionally downloaded/played a word that my mouse was hovering over after checking up a word. Well, this might just be me and my stupidness, but I thought I could give a shout out.

Or maybe I should just shut up, I don't know... =)
Just a warning up front: I am in no way computer savvy, and don't have much of a clue what I just did.

I had the same issue with playing the audio, then be redirected to a new page so Quicktime could play the file. I was screwing around for a bit, and here's the best thing I could get.

1. Go to your Tools > Options menu
2. Go to the Applications area
3. I'm not sure what kind of files these audio files are, but I changed my default program for all the audio files to Quicktime PLAYER (I guess I have a free version installed on my comp), not the Quicktime Plugin 7.6.5 (in firefox)
4. Now when I hit D to play audio, it brings up a small window where you can play the audio. You have to actually click the play button and close the window when you're done though, but it beats the brand new page from Quicktime plugin I guess.

Like I said, I don't really have a clue what I just did, but at least it plays the audio in a semi-fast/easy way. I'm not sure if my comp is downloading all the audio files though, lol. My Firefox automatically saves all DL'ed stuff to my Downloads folder, but nothing is showing up there. *shrug*

If someone could mention what types of audio files these are, you should just be able to change the default program in your options just to cover those files.

EDIT: I guess they're mp3 files? Just changed my mp3 file defaults to windows media player, and that seems to do the same thing. Just needed to minimize my media player window and keep it on the taskbar until I need another sound played.

Hope this helps anyone having some problems.
Edited: 2010-04-07, 9:08 pm
Another "problem" I'm experiencing is that every time Firefox checks for updates, it tries to install the original extension. I normally accept upgrades for my extensions without looking, so I've already had to reinstall this one three times.
this is INCREDIBLE. now we just need a way to play the audio inline without changing the page.
krungthep Wrote:Another "problem" I'm experiencing is that every time Firefox checks for updates, it tries to install the original extension. I normally accept upgrades for my extensions without looking, so I've already had to reinstall this one three times.
I get this as well. I probably just need to change the GUID to get around this.

rswarsaw Wrote:this is INCREDIBLE. now we just need a way to play the audio inline without changing the page.
Well, if you really wanted to you could uninstall the QuickTime plugin. I'm still looking for a better way that won't require this though. (Would be nice if Firefox had native support for mp3 files instead of ogg files.)
I just uploaded version 2 of the mod (see first post). Just a quick change. For this version I generated a new GUID so that Firefox won't constantly ask to you to update to the latest version.

As for seamlessly playing mp3 files:
After some research, it looks like the only way to play an mp3 within Firefox without the use of QuickTime (which I don't want to install) is to use a Flash based solution like Sound Manager 2 or JQuery Player. These work great for web pages, but so far I can't find any examples of of how use them within in a Firefox extension. I'll keep looking though.
Edited: 2010-04-11, 1:50 am
For those of you allergic to installing Quicktime, there is always quicktime alternative (quicktime codecs/plugin without the player).
I have just uploaded version 3 of the rikaichan JDIC audio plugin.

Download version 3

The audio should now play seamlessly instead of bringing you to another window or opening up the open/save dialog.

This version requires you to install either QT Lite, QuickTime Alternative, or QuickTime.

I have only tested with QT Lite. Please let me know if the original QuickTime also works for you.

If you don't want to install QuickTime, use v2 of the modification which will present you with the usual open/save dialog.

Note: This version is still based off of the rikaichan 1.09 baseline. I will try to merge the changes to the rikaichan beta4 baseline for the next version.