Back

The DLPT (Defence Language Proficency Test)

Hello,

Does anyone have any comparison between DLPT scores 0-5 compared to JLPT levels 1-4?

I'm looking to get a 2/2 in DLPT for Japanese and I was wondering what level that would compare to if we were to compare with the JLPT levels.
Just wanted to say that this thread has been super interesting for me to follow. I just discovered it, despite following the forum for years (I guess it got bumped somehow).

I have a friend who was in the army and went to the DLI for Korean. I was always super interested in learning more about it!
Ahhh the US military, they always have to spend taxpayer money to have their own custom thing. It wouldn't do to use a cheap off-the-shelf alternative like the JLPT.
6-Month Challenge: Get 6-Month Premium for $66 or Premium PLUS for $166 (June 19th - 30th)
JapanesePod101
(2016-12-31, 12:57 pm)Furikake Wrote: Ahhh the US military, they always have to spend taxpayer money to have their own custom thing. It wouldn't do to use a cheap off-the-shelf alternative like the JLPT.

That might be true in general. But in this case I can see why it might be useful for them to have their own exam. 

One reason is to meaningfully compare language ability across all languages that the military needs. 

The other is that their training and exam might want to stress situations that soldiers are likely to encounter (e.g. military and government jargon).

Also, of course, if we wind up going to war with the country that administers the exam, or if they decide to stop producing it for some other reason, it would be hard to continue to certify soldiers Smile
Edited: 2016-12-31, 6:10 pm
I suspect the cost of teaching dwarfs the cost of the exam. Also if they want to have people take the exam more often than twice a year then the JLPT won't work for them.