Back

Community IRC Channel.

IceCream Wrote:i can't get on it? is there something up with it? (Rizon, i can get on IRCNet)
Me neither.. I don't know, is Rizon down?
Just a bump to remind people that there is a channel for rtk Wink

server: irc://irc.rizon.net
channel: #rtk

If you have an IRC client installed (mIRC, chatzilla, XChat etc) this link should take you right to the chat room: irc://irc.rizon.net/rtk
Edited: 2009-12-18, 3:38 pm
Talking to people in 'real time'.... *shudder*
6-Month Challenge: Get 6-Month Premium for $66 or Premium PLUS for $166 (June 19th - 30th)
JapanesePod101
I would like to advise everyone that this thread is being bumped in order to increase the awareness of the IRC channel that we have going at irc.rizon.net. The channel is #RTK and we'd all like for more people to join in. Thank you.
KMDES Wrote:I would like to advise everyone that this thread is being bumped in order to increase the awareness of the IRC channel that we have going at irc.rizon.net. The channel is #RTK and we'd all like for more people to join in. Thank you.
Seconded. Big Grin
What is IRC channel?
Here's a little tutorial site. (Probably not the best site out there, but it may give you the gist.) http://irchelp.org/irchelp/irctutorial.html
kick
ocircle Wrote:kick
ow
Hi. We now have a new bot in the irc channel, its source code is on http://github.com/Christoph-D/Japanese-Tools .
It can do RTK lookups (heisig number - keyword - kanji in all directions), jmdict lookups, google translate and automatic reading generation, using mecab just like Anki.

To get a better picture of it, it looks like this:
<Christoph> !rtk 日本語
<rtkbot> #12: day 日 | #211: book 本 | #347: word 語
<Christoph> !rtk wonder
<rtkbot> #1987: wonder 驚, #2704: I wonder 哉
<Christoph> !kana 日本語のページを検索
<rtkbot> 日本語[にほんご] の ページ[ぺーじ] を 検索[けんさく]
<Christoph> !ja 検索
<rtkbot> 検索 [けんさく] (n,vs), 1. looking up (e.g. a word in a dictionary), 2. retrieval (e.g. data), 3. searching for, 4. referring to [...]

(Those commands work just as well in a plain Linux terminal, for the terminal users reading this. It's all shell scripts, basically.)
Edited: 2010-04-05, 12:57 pm
We now also have a readings quizzed based on the old JLPT wordlists. On top of that, we have dictionary lookups in 大辞泉 and 大辞林.
------------Quiz-------------
<Smackle> !quiz jlpt1
<rtkbot> Please read: 制
<Smackle> !quiz せい
<rtkbot> Smackle: Correct! (せい: (n,n-suf) 1. system, 2. organization, 3. organisation, 4. imperial command, 5. laws, 6. regulatio...)
-----------------Dictionary----------------
<Smackle> !daijirin 制
<rtkbot> せい(1) 【制】 ( http://tinyurl.com/y827qy2 )
<rtkbot> 1 さだめ。のり。制度。禁制。 2 勅命。天子の命令。
<Smackle> !daijisen 制
<rtkbot> せい【制】 ( http://tinyurl.com/y3vvhee )
<rtkbot> 1 きまり。おきて。制度。「外国の―にならう」 2 天子の命令。支配者の命令。 3 おしとどめること。制止。 [類語] 制度
<jake`> someone should go bump the irc thread
<jake`> since 43950 people join when that happens
<jake`> and summer = more people looking at it
<Vindurinn> you do it
<jake`> HAHA LIKE I POST
<Vindurinn> you do
<jake`> the best solution would be to just paste this conversation as a post
<jake`> and I feel I am going to end up having to do it myself
<jake`> dammit
<Vindurinn> is there a problem?
<jake`> fine be that way
<Vindurinn> also whoa did someone bump up the irc thread or something
You guys should get in here!

irc.rizon.net
#RTK
*push, because this would be so awesome*
<jake`> you know its summer again someone should go bump that irc channel thread on rtk
<pharaun> oh haha yeah
<pharaun> bring in some "fresh" blood
<jake`> I`ve done it the last 3 or so times
<jake`> its someone else's turn
<Christoph> new people only seem to stay for 5 seconds though
<Christoph> as if someone was scaring them
<jake`> yea what is with that
I'll check it out when I get to work tomorrow.
Not to divide people's attention, but there is also an #ajatt channel on the same server. I can't really be bothered being in two channels for pretty much the same thing.
Daichi Wrote:Not to divide people's attention, but there is also an #ajatt channel on the same server. I can't really be bothered being in two channels for pretty much the same thing.
I recently joined both channels in hopes of finding supportive communities which share my interests.

#rtk has been very welcoming, even though it is a less populated channel, or perhaps because of that fact; and I look forward to participating in it the future.

#ajatt on the other hand was rather interrogative. It is understandable to be curious about new arrivals, but it is a whole different matter when one the OPs disparaging calls you a troll and kicks you from the channel simply because you can not provide detailed explanations of your study plans.

As a result I will be joining #rtk and refraining from participating in #ajatt.

Just something I thought I would share, for those planning on joining any of the IRC channels.
<Flamerokz> oh hey
<Flamerokz> I just noticed that i'm not connected to #ajatt anymore
<Flamerokz> so I guess I did get banned
<Flamerokz> oh it says I was kicked
<Flamerokz> presumably banned too I guess
<pharaun> lol
<pharaun> what did you do
<Flamerokz> I guess they don't like spies or something
Does anybody know how to get the fonts to work when using the rtkbot? I tried doing one of the quizzes, but I keep getting boxes. I'm using mIRC.

Edit: Nevermind. I googled "mirc font" and the answer was one the first page.
Edited: 2013-02-02, 9:53 pm
<Flamerokz> hey it's summer someone needs to bump the irc thread on koohii
<Flamerokz> who's turn was it again
<Christoph> whoever mentions it
<lool0> aka always you
<Flamerokz> I remember it was distinctly
<Flamerokz> someone's turn
<Christoph> Flamerokz: you could add that we talk more about visual novels recently

Please join us on #rtk, Rizon (irc.rizon.net) network!
I guess it's my turn now. Christoph has probably the most accurate description of our channel:
<@Christoph> if you want to procrastinate and not learn Japanese, #rtk is the best channel
<erlog> what the ***** is wrong with this channel
I think #rtk on the Rizon IRC network is a good place to discuss learning Japanese.

[spoiler]Also, visual novels, manga, DotA, Smash, and Software Development[/spoiler]