Back

Post Your Recent Milestone Achievement Here

Watched a video on youtube that I loved despite not understanding it.

Now I do Smile
nest0r Wrote:Realized that I speak better/more clearly in Japanese than I do in my native language, despite a much lesser proficiency at Japanese.
Yes, this is likely to happen, and in many cases, you will not only speak Japanese better than you do in your 1st language, but sometimes you will speak it better than the Japanese themselves, because you are learning it in a formal way, and you are aware of many things in the language the Japanese are unware of, like those things you are unware in your 1st language. (I hope you understand my bad way to express the idea Smile)
Tobberoth Wrote:Life is indeed to short. Which is why you should use an SRS to learn a language WAY faster, so you can use it instead of learning it for decades.
So are you suggesting I should stop using it every day in my job? :-) Anyway, this is not the right thread to start a discussion. I learnt several languagues to fluency - fast - without ever touching flashcards or SRS. However, I do recognise the benefits of SRS in case of Japanese with its very specific set of challenges and I have been actively using it for a few years. Now I'm at the stage where my environment is providing me enough exposure and enough chances to "produce", I find that I no longer need to "add cards" in order to remember new vocabulary, etc. It's just a personal milestone, not a new "superior" technique, that's why it's in this thread.
EPIC SALE: Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! (Sept 18 - 29)
JapanesePod101
little victories Wink
Wrote in the Japanese only thread :O. I don't know if it reads well, but it's 99.9% from input only.
Serge Wrote:
Tobberoth Wrote:Life is indeed to short. Which is why you should use an SRS to learn a language WAY faster, so you can use it instead of learning it for decades.
So are you suggesting I should stop using it every day in my job? :-) Anyway, this is not the right thread to start a discussion. I learnt several languagues to fluency - fast - without ever touching flashcards or SRS. However, I do recognise the benefits of SRS in case of Japanese with its very specific set of challenges and I have been actively using it for a few years. Now I'm at the stage where my environment is providing me enough exposure and enough chances to "produce", I find that I no longer need to "add cards" in order to remember new vocabulary, etc. It's just a personal milestone, not a new "superior" technique, that's why it's in this thread.
I think it's worth a debate . SRS is not a goal , just a mean ... a mean to what ? in our case fluency in japanese .
So whatever gets in the way should be removed .... including the SRS maybe ?
Khatzu wrote something about deleting stuff when it doesn't deliver the goods . As for me I was a bit reluctant to do so because it takes pain to put it in , and some more to "learn" it ... but consider how much time I lost on it for a very arguable benefit ? a little while ago I began to erase , pause and modify item and I felt a change . A good change .
But what I want to point out is the conflict between the SRS logic and the language logic: SRS can easily become an evil of its own . You're so engrossed in that you fail to see that it damage your actual skill . The "get as much card as you can" is only one of the traps hidden in the SRS.

Maybe past a point the very SRS is disposable.
Edited: 2009-07-02, 7:50 pm
Reviewed 102 cards 4 o'clock in the morning (!!!!), and even though I'm dying, I made it at a 98% retention. Maybe Zombie-mode kicked in...
If it's not too much of a bother, can debates about people's milestones be held off the thread. Having them here may discourage others from posting.
4000 sentence facts reached today Big Grin
Reached kanji nr. 1337.
Nuff said Big Grin
My milestone was the fact that I was able to add 65 KO2001 kanji today [195 sentences] instead of my normal 20 kanji [60 sentences] due to a change I made in the way I interacted with the SRS.

Instead of doing all my reviews first, then adding all my new sentences, then reviewing all those new sentences that night/the next morning, which is a very focused and linear process, I decided to try something different. I would do around ~30 reviews, then add 15 sentences (5 kanji/one section from KO2001), then do another ~30 reviews, add another 15 sentences and so on. This made me around 2-3x more efficient.

The previous way I did things I would get burnt out after a while, lose focus, and would have to take a break before I could continue reviewing or adding. This way, I just alternate activities and keep going. The act of changing focus allowed me to keep working.

Not only did this let me add way more, but it actually made it feel like I was doing less work, because doing 30 reviews at a time feels so much easier than sitting down and doing 200 or 300. And similarly, adding 15 sentences is much easier than sitting down and adding 60 sentences. I haven't been hit with the reviews from my extra sentences yet, but I have a feeling this new way of doing things will let me deal with them fairly easily.

Oh...and I also hit 500 kanji in KO2001 today, nearly finished the first book! Hopefully I'll be done tomorrow (5 days ahead of my schedule!)
Edited: 2009-07-04, 6:18 am
I finally finished the first compiled package of the KO2001 group effort (imported into anki). That's only the first 90 kanji, but they are so frequently used that my reading comprehension has improved a lot (which means that it sucks less, but it still sucks big time).

I don't know how you manage to do 20 kanji a day blackmacros, but it sounds like an awful lot of work. My current pace is 5 kanji per day, but I'm doing dictation and reading. Any secret hints for me? Smile
I just cleared my backlog of over 1,000 expired cards. Next milestone: the 200+ failed cards I've accumulated as a result.
wahaha reached 300 kanji! lols snail pace tho
Hinode Wrote:I don't know how you manage to do 20 kanji a day blackmacros, but it sounds like an awful lot of work. My current pace is 5 kanji per day, but I'm doing dictation and reading. Any secret hints for me? Smile
I'm only doing recognition. No production cards yet.

My secret hint is- be a Uni student with an easy course, low time commitments and a 1.5 month holiday Wink

If all goes well, today's milestone achievement will be adding the last 55 kanji in KO2001 book 1! Hopefully I'll be posting on the "I just finished KO2001" thread sometime tonight...
I hit 300 kanji too today! KO2001 recog and prod. Don't worry Hinode, I'm also, averaging 5 kanji's a day.
Zorlee Wrote:Reached kanji nr. 1337.
Nuff said Big Grin
Pwnin' noobs, one kanji at a time.

I'm just about there myself actually, just added up to 1322.
Today after OVER 5 hours of studying only KO2001 in Anki I finally finished book 2 of KO2001 as well.
I started with book 1 end of May / beginning of June, so it took my about 1 month to finish both books.
I couldn't finish them earlier as I a have full-time job and thus not really much time to study (at least not as much as I'd like to have).

[Image: 11r4qwz.jpg]

Over 5 hours of studying ONLY KO2001 in Anki. That's a new record and I'm tired now *g*
As I have to work tomorrow again and the whole week, I figured it's better to try and finish it today Big Grin

Also I know:

[Image: 6zopjc.jpg]

According to this site.

Finishing KO2001 really helped increasing my vocab and reading speed!
Next I wanna unsuspend the production cards and also finally start studying grammar.
Although I didn't do production until now, my output ability also increased thanks to KO2001 (^-^)v
blackmacros Wrote:My secret hint is- be a Uni student with an easy course, low time commitments and a 1.5 month holiday Wink
Ahahaha.... in that regard I may be on the wrong track studying physics. Right now I have holidays until September, so if I work hard(er!?) I may manage to finish KO2k1 Vol. 1 by then (that would be a great milestone for me), but after that the course will slow down my progress considerably. Anyway, even if it's only 1 kanji a day I'll get to my goal eventually, RTK has taught me patience. Smile
Edited: 2009-07-05, 5:10 am
Yay! Added 55 kanji today and hit the big 555 in KO2001! Very happy :-)

And I verified that my new way of SRS'ing is sustainable (and way more efficient).
blackmacros Wrote:And I verified that my new way of SRS'ing is sustainable (and way more efficient).
Care to elaborate on that (perhaps in a new thread)? I'm interested in anything that can help keep up the pace you're doing.
mafried Wrote:
blackmacros Wrote:And I verified that my new way of SRS'ing is sustainable (and way more efficient).
Care to elaborate on that (perhaps in a new thread)? I'm interested in anything that can help keep up the pace you're doing.
Your wish is my demand Smile

http://forum.koohii.com/showthread.php?p...1#pid59261

Its a pretty simple change but it had a colossal impact on my efficiency.
In my vocabulary deck, I've been going through and activating words that are in the sentences of other activated words. In addition, those new sentences have words that needed activated.

Long story short, out of the 2000 vocabulary sentences, 750 grammar sentences and 300+ mining sentences, I ended up activating about 320 more sentences. Now that that's all done, I can now go back to sentence mining Rookies (my next milestone, study wise at least).
Nukemarine Wrote:In my vocabulary deck, I've been going through and activating words that are in the sentences of other activated words. In addition, those new sentences have words that needed activated.

Long story short, out of the 2000 vocabulary sentences, 750 grammar sentences and 300+ mining sentences, I ended up activating about 320 more sentences. Now that that's all done, I can now go back to sentence mining Rookies (my next milestone, study wise at least).
Can I just ask- when you look up a new word, is it often in your database of un-activated cards (which are mostly taken from the Smart.fm core series right?). It seems like a really neat idea to be able to instantly activate a sentence with audio- as long as its more hit than miss (ie. its not so great if barely any of the words you look up are in your database).

EDIT: Also I've been wanting to say this all day and this is a good a place as any I guess. My milestone for today is *not* shooting myself after having to sit through 150 sentences read by the GODAWFUL girl in the 2nd half of KO2001. Dear god its like nails on a chalkboard.
Edited: 2009-07-06, 10:05 am
Yes, it's the 4000 cards from Smart.FM Core 6000. I think there's been more misses than hits, but that's not that bad. Here's what I mean: If it's not in the Core series, I just don't memorize the word as an individual word, which entails knowing Kanji and pronunciation.

Even if it's not in the Core series, the word will still be in my sentence mining card along with the sentence that contained it, backed up with the definition and maybe even another sample sentence on that card. I just won't be able to recall that word on its own.

Example: 御曹子はいいよな 気楽でな. Now, 気楽 is in Core 6000, but 御曹子 is not. With 気楽 I could give you pronunciation, meaning and write it from memory. With 御曹子 I couldn't give you much of anything if I saw it outside the context of the sentence in my deck or in the show. In all honesty, I don't care either. The main point of that sentence is the jerk of a section boss making fun of the boss's son, on how easy and relaxing his life must be, in response to the lady's comment on boss's son talking on the phone to a hostess lady.

This is just the way I'm approaching it, and it's fairly recent that I altered my approach slightly. My thinking is words in the Core Deck (or even KO2001 or Kanji in Context) are worth memorizing given time, but not in the way they're organized. Nor do I think that every word I come across when sentence mining is worth memorizing either. This approach is just an amalgamation of those two thoughts.

Sorry for the lengthy reply. You didn't really ask for much more than what the first paragraph gave an answer to.
Edited: 2009-07-06, 10:33 am