Back

Post Your Recent Milestone Achievement Here

I've SRSed 1000 sentences for Korean now. As for Japanese, no milestone really, but my listening comprehension is noticeably better than before.
Awesome thread. It'll be good to look back on the all the progress we've made down the road.

My recent milestone was reading my first news article without using a dictionary. Even though it was a light entertainment article on google news, I was stoked to be able to understand the whole thing.
I've reached a new level of suck by cutting in half the number of new sentences I add to my anki deck daily. This is getting ridiculous, all my free time is invested into Japanese and I'm only going slower and slower. :/
Thanksgiving Sale: 30% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS Subscriptions! (Nov 13 - 22)
JapanesePod101
I finished 40 chapters of 例文で学ぶ漢字と言葉. 67 to go!
1/3 RTK milestone.
I've just finished reading 池袋ウェストゲートパーク. I'm especially happy because it was totally and thoroughly furigana-less.
Also, I've finally finished Zelda for the DS. Man, that was long!
I just finished to write my speech about the unification of the German Empire and Otto von Bismarck's social policy in Japanese.

Hey, for me that's a milestone!
1085 cards in four reviews+ stack(s) and 1483 cards total in circulation. I'm soo close to the 3/4 mark and the final push to the end, I can't wait to finally start progressing in the stuff I've wanted to start a while back.

Plus I learned 15 kana on my DS while my power was out all evening yesterday.....

Yay!
Started reading 涼宮ハルヒ again after a failed attempt a few months ago. This time it actually feels like I'm reading the book, rather than decoding it. Smile
Posted my first Lang-8 entry the other day. Had quite a few grammatical errors corrected and a few other mistakes, but was complimented on my skillful use of kanji, which gave me warm fuzzies for the rest of the day. This marked a milestone of being some of my first "serious" Japanese output.
Living in Japan for a year was pretty huge for me. I didn't speak hardly a word of Japanese when I arrived. By the time I left, I could communicate in survival mode. I was living with a girl who only spoke Portuguese/broken English so I kind of got thrown out there to look for work on my own without knowing anything about how to go about it (I wore blue jeans to my first English teacher interview).
Halfway again, and in 2 weeks 2 days this time, not too bad ^^

All downhill from here!
I've came back to studying after an unexpected year off, redoing RTK1 and I'm surprised at how much I remember, it feels so good to be back.
I finished Rtk2 about two weeks ago, I hoped to make a "I just finished " thread like the one for Rtk1 but barely anyone does Rtk2 so it didn't really take off.
Edited: 2009-06-30, 4:08 am
Machine_Gun_Cat Wrote:I finished Rtk2 about two weeks ago, I hoped to make a "I just finished " thread like the one for Rtk1 but barely anyone does Rtk2 so it didn't really take off.
Was it worth it?
Never having to teach English in Japan ever again. I quit two weeks ago and started up my own internet business in Japan the other day so now I can wake up late, go on holiday whenever I want (well depends on the wife now), work shirtless (when summer hits) and much more importantly, I have much more time to study Japanese. (got about 200 kanji left in RTK1).
My latest milestone is having gone 2 months through RTK1 without having a no-kanji day Smile

Bit pathetic I know, but I was averaging about 3-5 kanji a day before when I wasn't really into it? Now I'm at 20 kanji a day, and steaming towards the half-way point. Just 100 more to go!
frychiko Wrote:Never having to teach English in Japan ever again. I quit two weeks ago and started up my own internet business in Japan the other day so now I can wake up late, go on holiday whenever I want (well depends on the wife now), work shirtless (when summer hits) and much more importantly, I have much more time to study Japanese. (got about 200 kanji left in RTK1).
I can't wait for that feeling, I would love to start a business here too, if I didn't want to go back to Australia Smile
frychiko Wrote:I quit two weeks ago and started up my own internet business in Japan the other day so now I can wake up late, go on holiday whenever I want [...], work shirtless [...]
Great ways to run a successful business! Rolleyes
Gave up SRS altogether. Life is too short and time's better spent reading, watching, listening and talking to people.
Serge Wrote:Gave up SRS altogether. Life is too short and time's better spent reading, watching, listening and talking to people.
Life is indeed to short. Which is why you should use an SRS to learn a language WAY faster, so you can use it instead of learning it for decades.
Serge Wrote:Gave up SRS altogether. Life is too short and time's better spent reading, watching, listening and talking to people.
You could just stop adding new cards for a while, very quickly you won't have to spend as much time on it and then you can choose how much you want to use it.
frychiko Wrote:Never having to teach English in Japan ever again. I quit two weeks ago and started up my own internet business in Japan the other day so now I can wake up late, go on holiday whenever I want (well depends on the wife now), work shirtless (when summer hits) and much more importantly, I have much more time to study Japanese. (got about 200 kanji left in RTK1).
Interesting, so what's your business?

A milestone for me was watching a show and understanding almost everything.
Realized that I speak better/more clearly in Japanese than I do in my native language, despite a much lesser proficiency at Japanese.

Realized that, having decided last year that life was too short not to SRS, that I now have much more time to both study with SRS and read/watch/interact with people, 'live life', et cetera, with much less pressure. ^_^
Edited: 2009-07-01, 11:34 am
Frame 1616! YEAH! 2 weeks remaining I reckon, give or take.... I'll be further along later tonight I hope by another lesson.
Edited: 2009-07-01, 12:03 pm