Back

Subs2srs deck downloads

Hope some of you guys like Urusei Yatsura, 'cause I'm making the ultimate deck for 'Urusei Yatsura Movie 1: Only You'...

When I'm done, I'll need somebody with at least advanced level knowledge to check it, since I'm only around intermediate, and frankly punching above my weight to do this.

It'll be a couple months at least before it's ready, although the further in I get, the less work I'll have to do per line.

Basically, I want it to be a deck that somebody at any level could use, to attain the ability to watch the movie with no subs at all, even a complete beginner (who has knowledge of kana).

If somebody is willing to proofread everything, that'd be amazingly helpful, it'll be just under a thousand notes in total.

Drop a comment in here, or send me a message if you're interested, and we can discuss what kind of coordination will work best for the both of us.

EDIT: Seriously, this thing is a goddamn labor of love people. I had to manually retime every single subtitle in the movie individually before I could even subs2srs it, then I went through and individually removed each sub that was nothing but exclamations such as "ハハハ", etc. And now finally I'm going line by line, with manually entered readings, manually entered definitions and my own original grammar explanations (which I of course make sure to fact check as much as is within my ability). So if I could get someone a fraction as devoted as I am, that'd be great, I don't want somebody who's gonna flake. That said, messaging me to discuss things is no pressure, but if you decide to take on the task, please do try and stay committed.
Edited: 2014-09-13, 9:37 am
NinKenDo Wrote:Basically, I want it to be a deck that somebody at any level could use, to attain the ability to watch the movie with no subs at all, even a complete beginner (who has knowledge of kana).
In a minute, there'll be a dozen replies here saying what a stupid idea this is --- but I think it's awesome and can't wait to see the result. I will become a fan just to partake.

This is also the kind of project distributed version control was made for. It sounds like the video/audio section of the project is done (good work!), so you could store the text data as a Markdown file (or CSV file if you really insist, though it'll be dirt-simple to write a tiny script that converts the Markdown the CSV for Anki to import), keep it in version control like Git (or Mercurial, etc.), and host it on Github (or Bitbucket, et al.). This way, others can help out a little or a lot, and where their changes can be systematically reviewed by later proofreaders. Besides making it easy for others to help, you get all the benefits of working with version control: "I regret doing it this way" (roll things back), "I want to try something experimental for a while" (work in a new branch), "My computer exploded" or "Dropbox is dead" (I usually have my Git repos in Dropbox and host them on Github), etc.

I am doing something similar though much less work with Ghibli's 耳をすませば: I gave up on retiming the various subs I found for the film, I just bought the Region-2 DVD with 日本語 and 英語 subs. It won't have grammar explanations at a level that a neophyte can start with, but I'll add as much as I can. Now I'm super-motivated to tackle that project Big Grin
Edited: 2014-09-13, 1:41 pm
Just downloaded the lucky star ( ep 1 ) srs deck. It's actually really cool.

I haven't got into sub2srs yet, but this is so neat. This deck has a picture, the sentence, and the audio. It's a lot more fun than looking at dead words. * shutter *

I'll be checking out the mega link with all the decks in it, so thank you comatosebunny for re-uploading them. Smile
EPIC SALE: Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! (Sept 18 - 29)
JapanesePod101
MelonBerry Wrote:Just downloaded the lucky star ( ep 1 ) srs deck. It's actually really cool.

I haven't got into sub2srs yet, but this is so neat. This deck has a picture, the sentence, and the audio. It's a lot more fun than looking at dead words. * shutter *

I'll be checking out the mega link with all the decks in it, so thank you comatosebunny for re-uploading them. Smile
Unfortunately, those are just the decks that I've made myself! I never downloaded any pre-made subs2srs decks Sad So I hope you won't be too disappointed with the ones I've got!
aldebrn Wrote:
NinKenDo Wrote:Basically, I want it to be a deck that somebody at any level could use, to attain the ability to watch the movie with no subs at all, even a complete beginner (who has knowledge of kana).
In a minute, there'll be a dozen replies here saying what a stupid idea this is --- but I think it's awesome and can't wait to see the result. I will become a fan just to partake.

This is also the kind of project distributed version control was made for. It sounds like the video/audio section of the project is done (good work!), so you could store the text data as a Markdown file (or CSV file if you really insist, though it'll be dirt-simple to write a tiny script that converts the Markdown the CSV for Anki to import), keep it in version control like Git (or Mercurial, etc.), and host it on Github (or Bitbucket, et al.). This way, others can help out a little or a lot, and where their changes can be systematically reviewed by later proofreaders. Besides making it easy for others to help, you get all the benefits of working with version control: "I regret doing it this way" (roll things back), "I want to try something experimental for a while" (work in a new branch), "My computer exploded" or "Dropbox is dead" (I usually have my Git repos in Dropbox and host them on Github), etc.

I am doing something similar though much less work with Ghibli's 耳をすませば: I gave up on retiming the various subs I found for the film, I just bought the Region-2 DVD with 日本語 and 英語 subs. It won't have grammar explanations at a level that a neophyte can start with, but I'll add as much as I can. Now I'm super-motivated to tackle that project Big Grin
Thanks for your words of encouragement! That's a great idea using Git as well. I've never used Git before though, don't really know where to start...
Does anyone still have the links for these decks?
Which decks xtreme?
Anyone got the Death Note Decks? I'd love to have them and all the links are dead. Can't find anything through Google either.
I recently made a blog with downloads to the subs2srs decks I've created myself. Mostly anime with some movies. All links in order.

http://japanesedecks.blogspot.jp/