Back

The "I just finished RTK3, please follow me" thread

Hi there RTK Warriors!! I just wanted to say this:

I've arrived here... twice. Freaking TWICE. 3030 kanji all over again, but this time around under four months.

I want to ask you only one thing:

NEVER - STOP - REVIEWING

If for some reason you have to put on hold your Japanese project, if for some reason you just can't immerse yourself enough in the language, or learn vocabulary, or practice with sentences, or whatever Japanese related... keep reviewing the kanji and kana on your SRS anyways. Keep reviewing even if you don't clear all pending cards each day. Keep reviewing even if you can only do it for 20 or 15 minutes a day and even if you can't clear all your cards by the time limit.

Take a little bit of time each day to review. Make it the first thing you do when you fire up your computer, even before checking email, Facebook or whatever. And if you miss a day, whatever, just review the next day and keep doing it.

Why? So once you decide to re-start your Japanese project you can get started on immersion, vocabulary and sentences (and maybe grammar is that's your thing) right away. So you don't have to spend from 3 to 6 months or a year getting through all of RTK all over again. So you start your Japanese game from your kanji Save File instead of having to hit New Game

That's it. Don't make the same dumb mistake that I made. Use your SRS, and your future self will be forever grateful. And now I'm off to finally learn how to read in 日本語.

Muchas gracias a todos!!
Well done! I was impressed by your article.
NeoGlitch - well said! I totally agree with you. I made the same mistake and stopped reviewing one month after finishing RTK 1 and here I am starting again, after a one and a half year break. Had I reviewed just 10 minutes a day I would be rock solid by now.

But I am going at a steady rate of 100 a day and I'm at 900 today, so it will take just 12 more days, after which I will immediately start with RTK3 at a slower rate of maybe 20, depending on my review load.

Never ever will I make the same mistake again!
JapanesePod101
I thought everyone was aiming for 3,030, that's my goal anyway, once I finish the RTK 1 kanji it will feel great, but it's good to learn just that bit more so rather than stopping still and reviewing... it's time to continue onward.
I just finished the full 3030 set this morning! RTK1 took me a little over two years with some very slow times in there (I think I went entire months without adding a single character to my Anki deck). I have no good justification for that except laziness and lack of structure.

Since I didn't want a repeat of that, I was far more focused with RTK3. I started on January 1st (and finished today, 200 days later). I even had a buddy start the same day in a friendly competition; he'll be posting here soon. My rule was one character every day. More than that, great, but if I didn't do at least one character I was hard on myself. I missed only one day due to simple oversight. But that stricture meant that I learned kanji at theme parks. And in conference talks. And on airplanes. And drunk.

The bulk of the book went by just fine. But man does the book get really hard at that "Miscellaneous Kanji" section. Being able to learn a bunch of kanji that use the same primitive together is a huge advantage. Miscellaneous Kanji deprives you of that advantage so it's just plain exhausting to get through.

I picked up about 50 stragglers along the way, too: 湘鐳茹楚叒蜀圜匊娄杰尞囮箒澤隕鼡禺罠來餃氣敖贅淒其戔殘孵叕矮炙雹呻疼珀蠅蜘蛛婁髑髏頷埃阡竏竓竰晄會枷躰. A lot of these were pointed out by RevTK folks in their stories as primitives that Heisig didn't point out, but also quite a few of them I just encountered in my reading. You can probably figure out some of the content I consume just by that list. Smile

I think I'm done for a while. I will probably wrap up the 人名用 set next. Next year.
Aaahhhh... how refreshing to close another grueling book and see the back cover. woooo! I've got 23 supplementary kanji left to go, but that will be done tomorrow. WOW. 3007 kanji. I often wonder how they all fit into my head. This site is amazing for allowing everyone to share their stories because Wwhooooo .. I wouldn't have gotten to finish RTK that's for sure! Especially not in a couple of months. I started RTK3 July 12, so it took just under a month to do it. I can't wait to start going full force on collecting vocabulary.

I wanted to finish the hanzi that's not covered in RTK1+3 because I'm a completionist, but man.. I think my head really needs a break after this book. I think i'll come to back to hanzi after kanji starts to cement and I've gotten the hang of japanese a little. .. wow.. i'm just in disbelief...3007 kanji..

I'd like to take up shodo, soon enough. Doing Heisig everyday has gotten me to start appreciating writing the characters as an art and I'd love to start making my own wallscrolls..
Congratulations Miyumera! (I didn't realize you were so close to finishing.) Smile
I share your interest in calligraphy, but unfortunately couldn't find the time to keep taking lessons. Hopefully you can find a class or teacher near you. The Japan Foundation on Bloor might have some information.
Hi Thora!

Thank you! Smile yeah, I've been watching videos on calligraphy the past few weeks and looking for a shodo set in stores in Toronto but it seems like it's hard to come by. Might have to order it from ebay or something.. Are you from Toronto? if so where did you take lessons?
It seems like the only place is at the japanese cultural centre.. either that Or i do chinese caligraphy lessons which is easier to come by here.
I finished RTK 1 and 3 since starting in late April!

Do I get a cookie from anyone?
Hey so I finished RTK3 and you can follow me if you want.

10 days. 10 days of madness. I finished RTK1 on Nov 1st, the very next day I started RTK3. I originally didn't even plan on doing it, but I couldn't help myself. RTK3 was calling. Those weird-looking obscure kanji have a sort of allure to them, I gotta admit...

But at the same time I felt like the only way I could justify doing this instead of actual practical study of the language is if I did it FAST. So... I guess you could say I accomplished that goal. I technically finished yesterday, Nov 11th. Yesterday I added 200 cards, and today my reviews went up to around 450, an all-time high. For most of the time, they were hovering around 250 cards. Today I added the rest from the RTK1 supplement, and 17 from out of RTK.

These numbers might seem pretty bad, but I basically consigned myself to the fact that I am not going to have any sort of life outside of kanji during that time. I got a real production-line rhythm going in the end. To be honest, I am surprised it even worked and I was able to remember any of them... but I did (usually 70%+). I feel like I've gotten a real knack for telling what stories will work for me. It's all about the relation of the story to the keyword! Primitives come second!

I've been around for a while (this recent go at RTK1 was my second runthrough), and I understand that not having RTK3 is not so much of a hindrance for a beginner (which is still all I can call myself, sadly). At the same time, I feel good having it. Maybe once I get a little more experience, I'll come back here and let people know how useful it actually was. But for now, it is time to move on from RTK. I think I'll probably miss it.... Jeez this is starting to sound like an addiction... Who'd have thought that would be a thing, eh?
Finally, after almost 6 months, I have finished memorizing the kanji (all 3,030 RTK kanji plus 10 more I came across that weren't in RTK).

Welp. Now it's time for vocabulary, I guess.
I'm really impressed with everyone in this thread there are only 4 pages for this thread and 64 for RTK1. I want to join this thread someday but probably not until summer (June-July).
Done. Today, I finished the third edition of RTK 3--taking me from 2,200 to 3,000 Kanji.

There seem to be a lot of people that do RTK 3 at the very beginning, but it was a little different for me. I actually finished RTK 1 back in June of last year, and immediately after started learning grammar. Four textbooks later, I decided to finally go through the book. I started late January, and finished earlier today.

Benefits? I feel like going through the book has done a lot for me. It helped reinforce a lot of Kanji that I learned before. It's also made me more aware of Kanji in general (I was surprised to see Kanji like 鞄 popping up--it's such a common word that I always thought I learned in in RTK 1!). Working through the new primitives and more complex Kanji in the book has also improved my writing ability.

Another thing I did while working through the book was adding vocabulary hints for each Kanji while creating the cards--inspired by Japanese LevelUp's articles on RTK. Example:

front: carefree - のん気、流ちょう
back: 暢

Doing this allowed me to see every Kanji I was learning in action right away. I think this was what made the difference between the book being a boring slog and genuinely interesting.

Now it's time to start looking forward. My immediate goal is to get ready for the upcoming Tadoku in March. This will basically be sentence mining to iron out some grammar that I still find troubling, while maintaining my daily internet reading requirement. When Tadoku comes, though, I have some raw manga on the shelf ready to come down and be read.

More towards long term goals, I'd also like to shift my focus towards vocabulary. If one considers the "divide and conquer" approach to be something like: kana -> kanji -> grammar -> vocabulary, then I'm approaching the last piece. My hope is that this will be the point where all of that knowledge "comes together" and the language starts to become more comprehensible.

Thank you to all of those that read this, and best of luck to all of the current and future learners out there.
I'm happy to say I'm finally done with those 3030 kanji. It seems I'm just the forth one having finished RTK3 (well, the writing+meaning part) since last year; I hope a lot more people will follow us and post here in the future ;-). It's really worth it: even when some of the kanji there are very rare and obscure, even when going through the section of the tree and the flower primitives was really hard, even when the most useful kanji in RTK3 were added to 常用, the RTK1 supplement and the last RTK1 edition, I still found a huge number of the RTK3-only kanji very useful.

I also created and made available a translation into Spanish of the RTK3 keywords on my way here, and tried to be really strict and precise while doing so, learning the uses of each kanji before choosing a Spanish keyword. It probably still needs a little polishing but I'm quite satisfied.

Compared to the bittersweet feeling I had (more bitter than sweet, actually) after finishing RTK1, these two accomplishments make me feel really proud. YAY! As some said before, I'm gonna miss this addictive activity, but the real stuff can be finally tackled down (vocabulary and reading, mainly). Oh my dog, I can't believe I won't see the blue stack of new kanji anymore on this site...

I couldn't be here without the help of Fabrice, Heisig (and M. Bernabé and V. Calafell, his Spanish translators) and everyone here supporting me with their stories and their messages in the forums. My path was extremely long and tortuous, but thanks to all of you I never lost track of the lights at the end of the tunnel. Thank you all very, very much!

Keep reviewing!
Regards
Edited: 2013-08-22, 9:32 pm
Greetings, fellow RTK3 finishers! It's only taken me seven and a bit years to get here, but I've finally made it.

I wholeheartedly echo NeoGlitch's exhortation to never stop reviewing...I restarted in July this year (2014), after several years of very sporadic review sessions, only to find out that I essentially needed to jettison almost all of my kanji from their boxes and start afresh. I'd never made it too far into RTK3 before, and I wasn't initially planning to do so this time around, but I found that I couldn't really stop my momentum and now here I am!

I've also found that switching the kanji sequence from the old version to the new allows you to add the 9 missing kanji that were added to the most recent volume of RTK3 (see the second post of this thread: http://forum.koohii.com/showthread.php?tid=11580), which means I've managed to complete both lists.

It would of course be nice to be able to add more kanji when they crop up in reading, but for the time being I think I'll have my hands full with reviews as I'm determined not to repeat the mistake I made several years ago of letting one missed day become a week and then a month and so on until it just makes more sense to start again.

As others have written, getting a routine going seems to be key...the first thing I do now after turning on my computer in the mornings is to tackle my reviews, which are mercifully getting shorter and shorter. It's been a bit of a slog and, like faneca, I'm already missing seeing the blue box when I log in and navigate to the "Review" page. I've added a handful of non-RTK3 kanji that I've come across to Anki, but it's not quite the same as using Fabrice's wonderful site!

I've also been a lot of writing exercises by entering words and sentences into anki--I started doing that once I'd got all of the 2010 常用漢字 into box three or four, which is in part why I slowed down a lot once I'd started working on the non-常用漢字 that make up the bulk of the older editions of RTK3.

My next goal, as far as RTK is concerned, is to see if I can keep my review routine going strong throughout 2015, while using my newly regained (and vastly deepened) RTK knowledge to both relearn all those words I'd forgotten how to write and learn for the first time tons of words I never knew how to write in the first place!

Happy New Year to all!

Django
Just finished today, happy to finally be done with this series.

Thank you all for the help!
Greetings!

I signed up with Koohii/this forum back in mid-2012, right when I started RTK1 6th edition. It took me a little over a year to finish RTK1, just because I was happy taking my sweet old time doing lots and lots of writing practice and doing chapters over again until I felt my retention rate was good enough to move to the next chapter. I didn't keep up with my reps, and I forgot many of the kanji and their keywords over time, so January of this year I said screw it and started RTK1 all over again, brand new spiral notebook and all. Finished two or so months ago, and I'm happy I did it all over again. I feel it was worth it, because now the kanji and their keywords -stick-. Like, even if I forget a kanji's appearance or keyword, it's nearly always because I mix it up with another kanji in RTK1. I do my reps nearly every day now, and, even if I occasionally forget a kanji or its keyword, I still know what's part of the 2200 kanji proper: I can come across any kanji in the wild, and know with 100% certainty whether it's part of RTK1 or not.

Thought about doing RTK2, but not too interested at this point.

Earlier this month I started RTK3 3rd edition, started a brand new notebook for it as well, and just finished all 800 kanji a couple days ago. Today I also whipped through the 38 kanji that Heisig had the audacity to remove from the current RTK3, so that should cover all 3038 kanji from all RTK volumes! Unless I missed one or so from the erroneous info in the RTK supplement pdf, that is.

Now I'm going through the remaining ~225 Jinmeiyou kanji and using my best judgment to assign them keywords so I can have all RTK (which includes all Jouyou) and all Jinmeiyou kanji. Once I've got all the kanji the government even bothers to list, I think I'll stop indefinitely with intentionally searching for kanji to learn, and just learn kanji naturally through any media I come across that have new kanji.

I already see discrepancies with some of Heisig's kanji glyphs; specifically, 倶 (which he uses, but is at a different codepoint from the official 俱 and thus both have different info on Wiktionary, WWWJDIC, etc.), and similar deal with 吞 / 呑 and 煕 / 熙. There were also loads of errors in even the newest RTK1/3 editions regarding spelling, stroke order, stroke count, and inconsistency between keywords for [old] and modern forms of kanji. There've been a number of kanji whose stroke order is different in every single source I checked, be it Heisig, that Kanji Stories iOS app, WWWJDIC, Wiktionary, or elsewhere. So finding a source for "canonical" stoke order (assuming such thing exists) is something I'd like to get to too.
(2015-10-25, 12:27 am)ginpaku Wrote: Greetings!

I signed up with Koohii/this forum back in mid-2012, right when I started RTK1 6th edition. It took me a little over a year to finish RTK1, just because I was happy taking my sweet old time doing lots and lots of writing practice and doing chapters over again until I felt my retention rate was good enough to move to the next chapter. I didn't keep up with my reps, and I forgot many of the kanji and their keywords over time, so January of this year I said screw it and started RTK1 all over again, brand new spiral notebook and all. Finished two or so months ago, and I'm happy I did it all over again. I feel it was worth it, because now the kanji and their keywords -stick-. Like, even if I forget a kanji's appearance or keyword, it's nearly always because I mix it up with another kanji in RTK1. I do my reps nearly every day now, and, even if I occasionally forget a kanji or its keyword, I still know what's part of the 2200 kanji proper: I can come across any kanji in the wild, and know with 100% certainty whether it's part of RTK1 or not.

Thought about doing RTK2, but not too interested at this point.

Earlier this month I started RTK3 3rd edition, started a brand new notebook for it as well, and just finished all 800 kanji a couple days ago. Today I also whipped through the 38 kanji that Heisig had the audacity to remove from the current RTK3, so that should cover all 3038 kanji from all RTK volumes! Unless I missed one or so from the erroneous info in the RTK supplement pdf, that is.

Now I'm going through the remaining ~225 Jinmeiyou kanji and using my best judgment to assign them keywords so I can have all RTK (which includes all Jouyou) and all Jinmeiyou kanji. Once I've got all the kanji the government even bothers to list, I think I'll stop indefinitely with intentionally searching for kanji to learn, and just learn kanji naturally through any media I come across that have new kanji.

I already see discrepancies with some of Heisig's kanji glyphs; specifically, 倶 (which he uses, but is at a different codepoint from the official 俱 and thus both have different info on Wiktionary, WWWJDIC, etc.), and similar deal with 吞 / 呑 and 煕 / 熙. There were also loads of errors in even the newest RTK1/3 editions regarding spelling, stroke order, stroke count, and inconsistency between keywords for [old] and modern forms of kanji. There've been a number of kanji whose stroke order is different in every single source I checked, be it Heisig, that Kanji Stories iOS app, WWWJDIC, Wiktionary, or elsewhere. So finding a source for "canonical" stoke order (assuming such thing exists) is something I'd like to get to too.

You can use Kanken materials for "official" stroke orders. The Rtk3 stuff should be somewhere between levels 2 and 1.5 if I'm not mistaken (I could very well be, though!)
Just finished RTK3 a week ago, and I found it to be a walk in the park compared to RTK1 which I made several false starts on before finally doing it the proper way with Anki and proper study discipline. My only concern with RTK3 is that a fair amount of the kanji seem archaic or seldom used, so I wondering if I have wasted my time. However, I do recognise many of them from my vocabulary studies, so I hope to find some use for most of them eventually.
I've just finished RTK3 after six months of struggle \o/
Thanks everyone for sharing your stories  Heart
I'm done, thank you for all your stories. So proud Big Grin .
Keep reviewing.