Back

On frame 1531. 3/4 of the way done!

There are front page threads for hitting 500 frames, the halfway mark, and finishing Heisig so I thought I'd create a new one for the forgotten milestone. I finished Chapter 39 today and now I'm on frame 1531. Only 511 to go!

This is a really nice place to be I think. Such a small number left to go, nice short chapters (there are only two containing more than 50 frames) and a lot of momentum to carry you to the end.

Here's to 1531!
But the problem is, being 'almost' there, it feels like it's taking ages! (Even though I'm adding more kanji than ever before). Wink But congrats, keep on going and soon we'll both be finished, I'm sure.

(at 1681 today... and woke up to a review of 170 kanji (+43 new ones) worst day (in reviewing) so far! Ugh.)
Looking back, the third way point was probably the hardest part, motivation wise...
Thanksgiving Sale: 30% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS Subscriptions! (Nov 13 - 22)
JapanesePod101
1681! Great! We might graduate in the same class then! I haven't had the anxious "almost there" feeling yet. I kinda feel like I can just turn the engine off and cruise down the hill to the finish line. I have 17 chapters to go. If I can do 5 or more a week (which is what I aim for) I'll be done before July! See you in the "please congratulate me" thread.
Almost cleared the failed kanji today! ^_^ No idea how many I'll do today. The reviews are starting to be demotivating... Almost there though.
zazen666 Wrote:Looking back, the third way point was probably the hardest part, motivation wise...
Indeed. I'm there now, and my progress has hit a tremendous wall. All those hearts and fingers and people! Insanity!
Yeah, the last 1/4 took me the longest. The first 500 were easy. The next 1000 were more difficult, but not too bad. But that last 1/4... ugh. On the upside, there are some pretty common kanji towards the end. Not that they're easy or anything; it's just that you actually NEED them, so keep that in mind as you plow through.
Way to go!
I hope I'll catch you up in a month!
Yay! \o/ I passed 3/4 today. I'm on frame 1543, that's enough for today, 21 new ones. 499 to go, whew. I can't quite see the finish line from here, but I've been running the race long enough to be confident that I'll finish. It's a nice feeling knowing that if I stay at this pace, I'll be done by month end. ^^
Good job Shibo! 499 isn't too many. We should cross the finish line before July.
Ow yeah! Way to go!
rich_f Wrote:On the upside, there are some pretty common kanji towards the end. Not that they're easy or anything; it's just that you actually NEED them, so keep that in mind as you plow through.
I think this is one of the best things about Heisig order. There are always useful kanji. The very last real lesson (not counting lesson 56) has 魔, 魅, 魂、関、震、 all of which are very useful. Even lesson 56 which SHOULDN'T have any useful kanji has 雰 which I've found a bit useful.

In an order based on usefulness, think how dull the last three quarters would be, it'd all be obscure plants and trees and place name kanji...

Currently up to 1293 here.
Edited: 2008-06-05, 4:46 pm
snispilbor Wrote:I think this is one of the best things about Heisig order. There are always useful kanji.
Seriously. After every single lesson I go do something in Japanese and see at least one kanji I now know that I'd never been able to recognize before. Frequently I'll literally get up from finishing my new kanji review, sit down at a game or something, and immediately get slapped with a sentence using one of those kanji. It's a very "How did I even live without that kanji?" situation.

As it happens... I just passed the 3/4 mark myself. Guess I'm on the home stretch. My legs are tired, though...
Yay, I just passed 1531!
Got to 1544 last night! 498 to go! I'm making a big push this week- I've done 150 in the last three days and hope to get another 60 done today. Trying to finish up by the end of the month, but I have some finals and parties to attend.
zazen666 Wrote:Looking back, the third way point was probably the hardest part, motivation wise...
Now that I've been here for about a week, I have the same experience. I have motivation, but I've gotten lazy. I just do a little bit, and I've been skipping some reviews (600+ waiting for me on RevTK). Better get on that if I want to finish by July.
Edited: 2008-06-10, 7:45 am
Landed on 1543 today. The end is in sight! I've got to say, the thread/spiderman primitive nearly killed me, but the new primitives after that are proving much more manageable. At the rate of 30 kanji/day, I should be done in just over 2 weeks if I don't slack. Wish me luck!
Good luck! Watch out for all the plant/vegetable primitives coming up Smile
I passed the 1531 landmark today and can definately see the finish line! Big Grin
Won't add the cards to the site's SRS untill later though.

With this pace, I will be done by the end of the month.. Finally!
Edited: 2008-07-05, 12:42 pm
Me too! I'm in kanji 1547. 495 to go! puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!
Congrats to us!
Woo! Go Mentat! Getting there!

Congrats to all. ^^
I'm right there with you all. I passed 1531 about 10 days ago and am at about 1615 with about 90% recall most days. That said, I'm taking the last 500 slow. I'm finding that Kanji I "learned" weeks or months ago return and I don't recall them all. If I finish by October 1, that will put me at 1 year to finish RTK and I haven't missed a day of using this site, although I don't always add new Kanji every day.

I know some folks try to emulate Heisig's own amazing 8-week learning cycle. But I'm in for the long-haul anyway. Also, at about 1200 I started to seriously study the Yomi and compounds for JLPT4 and JLPT 3 levels. This has solidified my knowledge of many Kanji I already learned with RTK.

Just a few thoughts. Great job everyone.
Huh. What do you know? It seems I've passed 1531 without even noticing. I think I'll hold off on celebrating until I'm done, though. I don't want to get distracted again. Wink
Yay! Just passed 3/4 of the way today, with almost 190 kanji covered from Friday to today. My chances of finishing by my self-imposed deadline are looking pretty good. I think I'll go order 2001KO now, so I'll have something work on when I finish.
I passed this mark a couple days ago. I just felt like making things complete and saying I posted in every one of these. They should be stickied, because they're that helpful.

Congrats, sfekas.