Back

On frame 1531. 3/4 of the way done!

I just passed lesson 40.
Hardest lesson so far.

456 kanji to go!
Edited: 2008-07-28, 4:28 am
Mcjon01 Wrote:Huh. What do you know? It seems I've passed 1531 without even noticing. I think I'll hold off on celebrating until I'm done, though. I don't want to get distracted again. Wink
Same for me - stuck just shy of 1600, and haven't added any new kanji in a while - mostly keeping up with reviews, though so I'm not losing ground!
I agree with alyks - all of these should be sticky. It's encouraging to set these signposts to mark your progress. (And speaking of, congratulations to alyks, iSoron, and aboros for making it this far.)
Thanksgiving Sale: 30% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS Subscriptions! (Nov 13 - 22)
JapanesePod101
1800 today,but with some troubles with the review...
I would finish the book Thursday studying full time
Good luck everyone!!!
Woot 1553 today..but damn is it me or the words getting harder. I often find myself looking up the meaning of the word on google just to make sure lol, maybe i just suck lol. It has been 4 months so far...the path is getting rough as hell though.
Quote:I often find myself looking up the meaning of the word on google just to make sure
Don't look up the english keyword. Look up the kanji at a Japanese dictionary. Sometimes there are easier or more accurate keywords you can use.
Well, I breezed right by this milestone - added 1681 today. A few weeks ago, I had been really looking forward to 3/4, but I had a long break (skipped reviews on weekends, no new kanji) a couple chapters before I got there, so I didn't feel all that good about it when I finally did pass it, so I just kept going. Now I'm back in the kanji swing of things and ready to finish!

Good luck to everyone - if you can make it here, you can make it to the end.
1530 down. Smashed through the first 1000 in about 2 weeks...the last 500 or so has taken 3 months! Yes I slowed down a lot, but pace is picking up again!
Edited: 2008-09-09, 9:08 am
iSoron Wrote:
Quote:I often find myself looking up the meaning of the word on google just to make sure
Don't look up the english keyword. Look up the kanji at a Japanese dictionary. Sometimes there are easier or more accurate keywords you can use.
Bad idea. Heisig uses the keywords for the story building and not having the same keyword for several kanji. The actual meaning of the kanji is sort of irrelevant since most kanji have several meanings which differ a lot.
やった!
Just passed frame 1531! I've started Heisig exactly two months ago. My Heisig ride has been bumpy to say the least, some days I do 70-100, and other days I do none. It's hardly ever in between. The finish line is so close, yet so far x_x
Tobberoth Wrote:
iSoron Wrote:
Bad idea. Heisig uses the keywords for the story building and not having the same keyword for several kanji. The actual meaning of the kanji is sort of irrelevant since most kanji have several meanings which differ a lot.
I've occasionally done this for disambiguition purposes, but retained the original keyword and put the definition I found (even if that, too, consisted of nothing but a keyword) in parentheses.
Edited: 2008-09-26, 10:17 am
Passing 3/4 right now. But I reckon the real difficult part lies still ahead of me. At ~30 I should be finished in 3 weeks or so. I can't wait to begin with the All Japanese All The Time method. Smile
Finally finished 1530!!!

I am relieved, but also exhausted at the same time.

The last few days have been really tough, as the number of review characters are forcing me to spend hours on the reviews alone. So much that I could not add the characters for Chapter 39 for two days.

Right now, my 1-4 decks are: 146, 506, 757, and 121, and I'm getting ~150 characters to review each day.

I think I will have to slow down my pace or take a few days off from adding characters so I can push the reviewed cards to the right a little.

I hope I don't burnout before the last set... ...any special recommendations for those last 500 or so? Thx in advance.
Edited: 2008-10-01, 6:00 am
Finally made it to this last leg of the journey.

I started a tennis class this week and it did major damage to my study time, so this last week was horrible. I really had to force myself to study in every free minute. I fell asleep sitting up in our break room at work at one point.

Still, I want to keep pushing myself so that I can finish before the end of October when I have to go out of town for a week. I don't want to leave when I have only a handful of kanji left and then come home to 500+ expired kanji that I feel like I have to get through before I can do the last few. Seeing everyone make it over the hump here has really inspired me so I feel like I can continue.
On 1578 right now, and I'm blazing through the rest of the book. I have quite a bit of free time, so I've been doing 120 a day (with 90% recall rate the next day). I should be finished in a few days at this rate.

Reviews are seriously going to bite me in the arse though!

For anybody who cares, this is what my review stacks look like:

failed: 20 1)303 2)86 3)299 4)870
Alright! I'm on 1532, gonna take on the rest of lesson 40 tonight. I can see the end from where I stand, and I'm gonna work hard and get there. For sure.

6461 reviews[does anybody know if this gets reset when you delete all your cards?].. as for the stacks:
27 failed then 72 -- 98 --- 251 -- 1084

which looks really different than everyone else's..

I have an average of 75-90 reviews. Never gone above 100[at least not this time around]
Edited: 2008-11-03, 2:47 pm
i have arrived at frame 1531 !
I've just hit #1500! I'll admit I'm cheating a little; I should technically wait until the end of the current lesson but I need to give myself the motivational boost a little early!

I hit a huge slump at roughly frame 1200 (actually, at the start of lesson 32) and made barely any progress for weeks, but then I made a real push and got here within two or so weeks. Cannot wait until I'm done with this and can start actually learning from Japanese texts.

Good luck to all who haven't yet hit this milestone and congratulations to those who made it long before me! Smile
1541 and just a few days shy of three months. I recently got another spurge of motivation and now that I'm so close I can feel it and am trying to bang out 50+ per day until the end. The biggest key to this is that I finally realized I could go and change the time zone settings for reviews. I work until 12am at night and it was killing me having to wait until I got home to start on my reviews when I have tons of free time at work that I could be doing them. It's almost like getting an "extra" hour in my day now lol.
I just got to 1531 in time for Thanksgiving! I'm thankful for the site, the stories, the scripts and this thread, which motivated me to add more cards today.
Just reached 1550 last night and can almost see the end in sight, I've been doing these for about 4 months now with some brakes in between but now I'm getting closer I'm going to stick to it and not keep stopping it was the worst thing I could do as its surprising the amount I forget in such a short space of time skipping through reviews instead of actually taking my time with them.

Although my reviews are getting bigger as I'm failing ones I thought I new because of the rushing them earlier in the month hopefully now I'm back into the swing of things they will start to get smaller again.
Got to 1531, finaly! I've been doing 20 new kanji every day for quite a while now and it has really paid off, i'm more than certain that I'll be done before New Years, which was my goal when I started about 3 months ago.

I'm thankful for the site, but I rarely use stories I find here, I always make my own. The forum keeps me very motivated though!
Blasted through 1531 a couple of days ago, on my 9 day kanji getaway. Now up around 1690. Hope to be around 1850/1900 by the end of sunday, and then have finished altogether by the end of next week. Well, at least have all of the kanji in _a_ stack, even if it's not in stack 4...
I just added up to 1535 today (I have to test them at least once to make the number "official," and I usually test the new batch at night). It took me a long time to get here, mainly due to taking off so long I had to restart when I was in the 1400s. I'd like to get past the next few hundred quickly, but more important is to make sure that I at least keep up my daily review so I don't fall behind again.
Bumpity for taking 4.5 months to get to 3/4 of the way through.

Hopefully I can finish the whole thing by New Year's.