Back

Kanji reading frequency

Is there a dictionary that provides frequency indicators to kanji reading? Like, 目: め — xx%, もく — yy%, ぼく — zz%.
I hope to implement an API that can do that, hopefully in the next couple of years.
(2018-02-03, 10:32 am)fkb9g Wrote: I hope to implement an API that can do that, hopefully in the next couple of years.

I'll put a reminder in my Outlook calendar for February 2020.
Breakthrough Sale! Get 28% OFF Basic, Premium or Premium PLUS! (until March 2)
JapanesePod101
(2018-02-03, 9:18 am)ramenina Wrote: Is there a dictionary that provides frequency indicators to kanji reading? Like, 目: め — xx%, もく — yy%, ぼく — zz%.

There are several different lists.  A few that come to mind is the list used to make the core2k,6k10k lists which is mostly based on newspapers, one based on the 'innocent' corpus of japanese novels, and the balanced corpus of contemporary written japanese.  

There's also an anki add-on which uses the core/newspaper frequency list, but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to hack whichever list you want into the plugin if you know a little python.
(2018-02-03, 10:32 am)fkb9g Wrote: I hope to implement an API that can do that, hopefully in the next couple of years.

If you do, here's a spreadsheet format that I manually did with an optimized Core 2k list. Consider it for some sorting ideas (lots of errors though, sorry). 

One output for a word list then could be this which lists every appearance of a kanji as its own entry: Vocabulary Word (Kanji) | Vocabulary Word (Yomi) | Kanji | Yomi | Kanji Position | Kanji/Yomi Frequency

Another output groups words with same kanji/yomi. The word groups are : Kanji | Yomi | Frequency | Word1, Word2,...., WordN (Kanji) | Word1, Word2, ... WordN (Yomi)

That grouped word output would be a boon for Kanji writing practice. Essentially, people are shown the Yomi and Yomi word groups as the question, then write out the kanji for the correct answer. The reverse can also happen so show Kanji and Kanji word groups, with the yomi being written for the answer. If the word list happens to be custom list of words known to a user, this removes the need to use English Keywords when practicing Kanji writing. If the word list has word frequency data, then most frequent 5 words can be shown in addition to using that to frequency to Kanji/Yomi pair (not frequency in the word list, but overall frequency in a large text). 

Basically, such a program can help create custom Kanji reviews for specific users in addition to frequency based tests for random users or competitions.