Back

I introduce my app : mainingu.com

Hi everybody,

Today I would like to introduce my web app, Mainingu.com.
It is still very early in its development stage. I would like to show it to the community to collect fresh ideas.

What I have in mind for this app is to be a complementary product to Anki or other SRS softwares. It will allow language students to FIND interesting sentences matching with their level and quickly import them into Anki.  The sentences come from native medias and have a video context. By default, sentences are ordered from the easiest to the hardest for each deck, based on the word difficulties / frequencies.

For now there are only a few sentences available from only 4 medias, but the goal is to add thousands of them in the future. 

https://mainingu.com

Please try it and share your experience with me! Was it useful for you? What would you improve?

Keep in mind that it's development is far from being finished. You can consider it reached 5% of its maturity and I let you imagine what could be the remaining 95%.

Thanks!
Hi,

i tested it quickly but the format seems to be amazing.

We can learn with sentence in context.

I think you can work with Nukemarine for some drama (he add zettai kareshi on his courses)

Je vois que tu es francophone, j'ai trouvé un bug qui me propose le nom de Christophe lorsque je me suis connecté via facebook.

En tout cas , bon boulot, j'adhère au concept.
Thanks, sure I would be very happy to collaborate with Nukemarine on this project, if he has any interest in it!

(@Shadow : le soucis avec le login Facebook est corrigé, merci pour ton retour!)
Breakthrough Sale! Get 28% OFF Basic, Premium or Premium PLUS! (until March 2)
JapanesePod101
I didn't try it yet, so bear with me ;-). From the description posted here about your site, it seems pretty similar to delvinlanguage.com. How does it compare to the latter? (btw, some screenshots in the description page would be a nice touch)
(2018-01-18, 9:05 pm)deign Wrote: Hi everybody,
Today I would like to introduce my web app, Mainingu.com
The Japanese language learning community is awash with failed projects, shovelware and 'the next best thing' made by eternal beginners. More is not always good.
Putting that aside, don't focus on sentences and instead focus on entire texts. Take something like this library , wrap it up with the sort of features available on LingQ and it will be better than whatever hot garbage misunderstanding of Krashen's n+1 / AJATT sentence method approach you are going for.

(2018-01-18, 9:05 pm)deign Wrote: Thanks, sure I would be very happy to collaborate with Nukemarine on this project, if he has any interest in it!
The guy has been 'studying' for something like a decade and nothing to show for it. Honestly if you ever want to see this little project of yours bloom into fruition, the worst thing you can do is collaborate with someone who has spent more time rehashing beginner 'learning resources' than actually learning the language. That's a death flag.

Also, if you aren't 'fluent' in Japanese yourself, drop the project entirely.
Edited: 2018-01-18, 11:19 pm
Just to check - your recommendation to use DJT Library for his service, these are pirated materials? Or are they web novels that are freely available? The illustrations and Amazon integration suggests otherwise. Nice resource though.
The Japanese language learning community is awash with know-it-all jerks overly critical small minded people too.. 
(∩`ω´)⊃
Edited: 2018-01-20, 3:51 am
Wow. That shows a lot of promise! It's like a simpler version of FluentU or Yabla. Keep going!
Thanks all for your comments! I will keep going with the development and update you! Don't hesitate to share your ideas/bugs or let me know if you are interested to collaborate (I'll be happy to receive any help).

@Faneca

Basically Mainingu seems quite similar to Delvin Language, which is a great app too (didnt know it existed until today). I guess that each app has its own unique features, for example Mainingu allows to export the cards you like to Anki to enable SRS and displays well on mobile, Delvin probably has some great features too but I am not familiar with it.

Also I noted that the way of presenting the decks is different between both : in Mainingu there is one deck per media and the cards of the deck are sorted by difficulty order or optionally filtered inside. In Delvin, decks are mainly based on JLPT levels and contain flashcards created from various sources. I used the per media approach in Mainingu because I thought students would be more motivated to learn with a media they like specially and that they already watched and know the scenario... Anyway, I guess that both approaches have their own advantages and you can study different sentences from each app.  Big Grin
Enjoyed, but would love see to see some more difficult material. Seems targeted at really early begienners (even the n3 and n4 labeled material seems to be n5 level) but could develop int so much more.
(2018-01-22, 4:10 pm)mspertus Wrote: Enjoyed, but would love see to see some more difficult material. Seems targeted at really early begienners (even the n3 and n4 labeled material seems to be n5 level) but could develop int so much more.

Thanks a lot, yes I thought that it was better to use cards for beginners first so I focused JLPT N5 & N4. I will add more cards in the futre, but finding/selecting good cards takes time. I will need some help for that. I think I could create a kind of "creator section" in the app to allow people to edit/add cards by themselves.
(2018-01-18, 11:19 pm)mintou Wrote: The Japanese language learning community is awash with failed projects
Just because we share an interest doesn't mean we're a "community".

By the way, before you start the appeal to authority dance with me too, I'm fluent in five languages, advanced at Japanese, my sixth, and I found Nuke's resources extremely valuable. He's not creating those materials, he's compiling them, and doing a great job by always making sure the stuff he's using is top quality.

(2018-01-18, 8:38 am)deign Wrote: Hi everybody,

Today I would like to introduce my web app, Mainingu.com.

It's a great concept, and it's not like anything I've seen before. If you can make it work smoothly, and add enough materials, it's going to be hugely beneficial to new learners.

One suggestion would be to make a simple, online SRS for it. I know it's a lot of work, but it would make it much, much more accessible for people who find dealing with Anki too complicated. Perhaps charging a small fee for access to the SRS feature would make it worth your while.
Edited: 2018-01-23, 10:22 am
(2018-01-23, 9:46 am)Stansfield123 Wrote: It's a great concept, and it's not like anything I've seen before. If you can make it work smoothly, and add enough materials, it's going to be hugely beneficial to new learners.

One suggestion would be to make a simple, online SRS for it. I know it's a lot of work, but it would make it much, much more accessible for people who find dealing with Anki too complicated. Perhaps charging a small fee for access to the SRS feature would make it worth your while.

Thanks a lot for your support! I am seduced by the SRS idea. SRS defintely makes sense for this application, I think it is a must-have technology nowadays for such flashcards apps. Originally I wanted to leverage Anki because I know it is a very good (the most complete) SRS software and I didnt want to reinvent the wheel. However in practice I realize that most of beginners dont use Anki as it is too complicated, a robust and simple SRS could be sufficient.

Then thanks for the business model idea. I'll think about it. Rather than charging the access to the app itself, it could be nice if the users could create their own decks with special tools, and set a price for other learners to access it. The money thing will help to motivate the community to quickly generate a lot of quality materials. Memrise did something like that I think, but it doesnt seem to be the main part of their business right now.
(2018-01-18, 11:19 pm)mintou Wrote:
(2018-01-18, 9:05 pm)deign Wrote: Hi everybody,
Today I would like to introduce my web app, Mainingu.com
The Japanese language learning community is awash with failed projects, shovelware and 'the next best thing' made by eternal beginners. More is not always good.
Putting that aside, don't focus on sentences and instead focus on entire texts. Take something like this library , wrap it up with the sort of features available on LingQ and it will be better than whatever hot garbage misunderstanding of Krashen's n+1 / AJATT sentence method approach you are going for.

(2018-01-18, 9:05 pm)deign Wrote: Thanks, sure I would be very happy to collaborate with Nukemarine on this project, if he has any interest in it!
The guy has been 'studying' for something like a decade and nothing to show for it. Honestly if you ever want to see this little project of yours bloom into fruition, the worst thing you can do is collaborate with someone who has spent more time rehashing beginner 'learning resources' than actually learning the language. That's a death flag.

Also, if you aren't 'fluent' in Japanese yourself, drop the project entirely.

Can you elaborate on the sentence part? How do you suggest to use Anki (if you suggest it at all)? How would you use it (or, how do you use it?)? What are the features of LinQ that you would like to use in relation to the website you linked?
Hi!

I've just tried it and I like it  Heart Le concept est super bien pensé !

In order to develop the front-end, wouldn't it have been easier to go with a JS framework like Vue or React instead of jQuery?

Thanks for sharing this app with us and keep up the good work Smile
How is this different than yourei.jp ?
(2018-01-29, 2:04 pm)uchuu Wrote: How is this different than yourei.jp ?

How is it similar?
(2018-01-28, 11:47 am)mornir Wrote: In order to develop the front-end, wouldn't it have been easier to go with a JS framework like Vue or React instead of jQuery?

Thanks for sharing this app with us and keep up the good work Smile

Thanks a lot ! Angel Vue or React probably would have been better than Jquery, but I don't master them myself yet. I'll maybe rewrite later with those frameworks if I have time to learn them... otherwise, if you want to collaborate yourself on the code, this is also possible  Smile

Quote: How is it similar?

Same question!
Hello,

on the phrases' hints (on the top of the video), I think you can add furigana on the top of the kanji.
(2018-01-31, 10:56 am)Shadow Wrote: Hello,

on the phrases' hints (on the top of the video), I think you can add furigana on the top of the kanji.

This suggestion is very relevant. I'll defintely add that!

Thanks!
Other people who tried the app, any feedbacks? Smile
https://mainingu.com
Hi,

For beginners or for more advanced sentences, I think you should give the possiblity to reduce the video's speed rate in the video player... Like for instance 0.5 the regular speed.

Also, maybe a bad suggestion, on each deck, you might want to add a special set of cards that put together make a full dialog...
Let's say you have a 20 cards deck.
You have a good video that has 5 consecutives sentences... You cut them into 5 sentences = 5 cards....
You separate them and put them randomly in your 20 cards deck... And when you reach the end of the deck, you put the "bonus special video", which are the 5 cards put back together to see if you've mastered them all and to give the learner the impression that he can understand a longer scene...

Ganbatte !
Hi Gatts and thanks for the ideas! The videos in mainingu are already playbacked slowly by default, there is a setting to bring back the speed to the normal level.

For the full dialogue, though I understand what you want to do and it makes sense, I am not sure it is possible as the episodes have been filtered to leave only good cards. Even if we put them in the order, many cards will be missing and the dialogue would not be continuous/understandable.