Back

Are you worried about the over importing of loan words into Japanese?

relevant the japan times
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2013/0...mR4kPbLilU
Sometimes the imported katakana word is better.  Here's an example.  Which do you prefer?

噴射式除雪機   (funsyasikizyosetuki)

or

スノーブロアー?  (sunooburoaa)

I like sunooburoaa better.  It's quicker to mentally decipher compared with fun sya siki zyo setu ki.

By the way, in the book I'm reading, it gives the kanji for funsyasikizosetuki but the furigana are the katakana "sunooburoaa".
I just discovered this book and found that it also has an English translation

https://www.amazon.com/Fall-Language-Age...960&sr=1-6

It looks very interesting and I wonder if it might give pause for thought to those with a very gung-ho attitude about how good it is for Japanese to be giving way to English and licking their lips about the future demise of kanji.

Actually I don't think Japanese is in fact giving way to English. I don't think there is any chance of the demise of kanji failing some geopolitical earthquake. And I am not actually worried about gung-ho attitudes because in the end conscious "movements" (one way or another) do very little to affect the natural evolutions of language (I say "evolutions" in the plural to avoid the idea that there is necessarily "progress" in any particular direction).

I also think the kind of Japanese people many foreigners tend to encounter (those with very Westernized attitudes, strong interest in English, involved in language teaching etc) are not necessarily representative of Japanese people as a whole.

Anyway I really am going to keep to my resolution and not get involved in an English-language discussion (purely because for me personally that is just a temptation to go off-course).

But I wanted to throw in the book after I discovered it because it might be of interest here. I plan to read it at some point in Japanese. I find it interesting that a Japanese writer has these concerns.

Of course those concerns are really about literature, which is a whole different matter from what is being discussed here and an area where Japanese (and other non-English languages), may be in more real danger (I don't feel qualified to hold any opinion about that).

I do hope though that it throws a little more light on the sometimes unchallenged Anglocentric assumptions that one finds in the West (and elsewhere) and the idea that English is always a net gain.

[EDIT Just to clarify, since I won't be coming back to clarify later, my remark about the type of Japanese people foreigners tend to meet was not intended in the least to deny the very widespread use of katakana-English loan-words (which I do not see as a threat to Japanese for reasons I have already given). It was in relation to the fact that they may get the impression that Japanese people as a whole reflect the English-centric ideology. I also realize that the government appears at times to underwrite that ideology. I think it is actually quiet ambivalent - as it probably should be.]
Edited: Yesterday, 12:36 pm
JapanesePod101