Back

Does anyone know any resources on hardcore language learning?

Just wondering if anyone knows of a Youtube channel or blog that talks about language learning (doesn't even have to be Japanese) in a hardcore way. I'm talking about 12+ hours per day, and no not just 12 hours of passive listening or something. In fact it doesn't even have to be language learning, honestly any sort of study would be fine too. Really hard to find anyone like this where it's not just very short term like a week or something. Thank you in advance.
ajatt lol cue butthurt and indignation
(2018-01-11, 3:02 pm)dtcamero Wrote: cue butthurt
Not that kind of hardcore.
JapanesePod101
(2018-01-11, 1:38 pm)egoplant Wrote: Just wondering if anyone knows of a Youtube channel or blog that talks about language learning (doesn't even have to be Japanese) in a hardcore way. I'm talking about 12+ hours per day, and no not just 12 hours of passive listening or something. In fact it doesn't even have to be language learning, honestly any sort of study would be fine too. Really hard to find anyone like this where it's not just very short term like a week or something. Thank you in advance.

Check out stuff by Alexander Arguelles. I believe he studies something like 8+ hours a day everyday. It's not my cup of tea, but you might enjoy it.
(2018-01-11, 1:38 pm)egoplant Wrote: Just wondering if anyone knows of a Youtube channel or blog that talks about language learning (doesn't even have to be Japanese) in a hardcore way. I'm talking about 12+ hours per day, and no not just 12 hours of passive listening or something. In fact it doesn't even have to be language learning, honestly any sort of study would be fine too. Really hard to find anyone like this where it's not just very short term like a week or something. Thank you in advance.
I knew plenty of kids in school and college, who did 12 hours of studying a day. I went through periods when I averaged at least 10 hours/day on weekdays, too, especially before high school...just through a combination of school, homework/preparing for tests and stuff I was interested on my own (some language learning, but mostly computer related).

If you include stuff like chess, or football and basketball practice (which is all technically learning), then I would get to 12 hours/day of learning pretty regularly, in those days.

So, if you do it that way (as an organized activity, with oversight from teachers, the pressure of tests, a schedule that has to be kept, peers that you compete/work together with, etc.), then it's perfectly doable, lots of people do it. There are schools where you have no choice but to do it.

I've never met anyone who can do that just through self study, by themselves, though. I'm sure they exist, but they're a rare breed. And it seems like a bad idea, even if you can do it, because of how isolated you would become.
Edited: 2018-01-12, 2:09 am
https://www.scotthyoung.com/blog/about/
(2018-01-12, 2:08 am)Stansfield123 Wrote: If you include stuff like chess, or football and basketball practice (which is all technically learning), then I would get to 12 hours/day of learning pretty regularly, in those days.
That's not all learning on the same single topic though, and it's not all at the same intensity level, and football and basketball in particular are giving your brain a break and getting exercise. I think the reason the OP can't find 12h/day study resources is that burnout is a real thing, and people just can't concentrate for 12 hours a day. Any sustainable study programme is going to have some periods of concentration interspersed with breaks, time to eat, relax and exercise, lower-intensity study as well as more serious stuff, and so on.

I think research suggests that working longer hours at your job is counterproductive once you get over about 40 hours a week; a long term full time study pattern is I think similar. You'd be better looking at how to most productively use a more reasonable number of hours a day, rather than trying to push the number of hours up as far as 12 a day. (And even then, '20h/week that you enjoy and will continue' will beat '40h/week that are dull and you get fed up with and stop after 3 months'.)

(I agree with you that an externally imposed schedule and oversight in a group with others is probably the best way to ensure that you stick to any full-time study regime long term.)
I'm not trying to say you're lying outright, but I have a feeling that people confuse their best work with their average work. Like 12 hours a day a couple times a month becomes "12 hours a day throughout college" when it's really like 3-4 hours a day average. Thank you for posting though.

Burnout is hard to get over, it definitely seems like the best way to do it is to focus on say 3 things at once. Instead of doing A to completion, B to completion, then C to completion, you do A, B & C all at the same time. B & C give you a break from A, and vice versa.

It sucks when you only have one thing you really want to focus on though.
They're probably too busy studying to blog about it.

Maybe learn Korean and watch high school kids' blogs?