Back

Kanji App with apple pencil support?

I'm restarting RTK. I made it up to 600 before, but had gone too fast and eventually the reviews killed me. 

Now I'm planning to do 10 new kanji per day. I'm finishing off learning German, and I figure this pace will get me through the Kanji right around when I'm ready to learn the rest of Japanese. 

I had previously used Skritter. But, I now have an iPad pro with Apple Pencil. I had planned to have skritter on the left, a copy of RTK open in split view on the right. 

To my dismay, I found out that skritter for ipad:

* doesn't support the apple pencile (i.e. you can't navigate with it)
* doesn't support split view (you can't have the rtk book open on the right hand side)
* doesn't support landscape mode! (Ipad must be vertical)

This isn't ideal. I asked about the beta of 2.0, but while I'm waiting I figured I would check if there's another program that's as easy to use out there. 

Skritter may be declining in popularity. The app has had only one update in two years, and the forums are pretty dead. So, anything else I can use?

Before you say "anki", I'd like something I can draw with on screen. If nothing is available, I can draw in a notebook, but I like the feedback on stroke order and overall design of the character.
AnkiMobile supports drawing with a stylus, although I'm not sure whether Apple Pencil is supported (I'd guess yes). Yes it costs an arm and a leg on iOS but it has been definitely worth it for me and probably paid back for itself by saving dozens of notebooks over the years. You can also use the Kanji Stroke Order font (http://www.nihilist.org.uk) in the card to imitate the stroke order and look of the kanji. Here's hoping Apple Pencil support eventually comes to the iPhone (I don't have an iPad) as it's quite hard to write neatly with an ordinary stylus (but it gets the job done for the time being).

Also maybe someone else can comment if AnkiMobile supports landscape mode/split view on iPad.
Thanks! Just tested. The anki ios app supports split view and landscape mode. 

I can't test drawing with the apple pencil, but all the interface elements work with the pencil. 

Is there a guide for how to draw kanji with anki? I'm guessing I install that font, and then a deck like this: https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1862058740

And then....I can draw on the card, and it will recognize if I drew correctly? Or, I'll have to manually compare my drawing to the answer and mark it correct?
JapanesePod101
In AnkiMobile there's an option for toggling the scratchpad. As usual with Anki, the app itself doesn't grade your answer, and you have to determine yourself whether you wrote the kanji correctly or not. I don't think you can install fonts on AnkiMobile, but you can embed them with

@font-face { font-family: myfont; src: url('_KanjiStrokeOrders_v4.001.ttf'); }

in styling settings and then

<div class=mystyle1>{{Kanji}}</div>

in the card template. You need to place the font in the media folder on a computer and then sync it with Ankiweb. Also I think the file needs to have the underline before the name of the font (see above).
(2018-01-09, 3:35 pm)graeme Wrote: I can draw on the card, and it will recognize if I drew correctly?

You can turn your Anki kanji cards into text input prompts, and then use the Chinese (Traditional) Handwriting iOS keyboard.
(2018-01-09, 7:06 pm)fkb9g Wrote:
(2018-01-09, 3:35 pm)graeme Wrote: I can draw on the card, and it will recognize if I drew correctly?

You can turn your Anki kanji cards into text input prompts, and then use the Chinese (Traditional) Handwriting iOS keyboard.

Oh, brilliant. Didn't realize that would work. I'm guessing that wouldn't work with hiragana/katakana, so I should either find another solution for those, or use the anki handwriting method above for those cards.

(I could probably get away with just paper for hiragana/katakana, as their number and difficulty is tiny compared to Kanji)
Is there a fast way to make text entry for the cards in bulk? I found this official method, but it seems really long to do that for a couple thousand Kanji: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tYObQ3ocrw&yt%3Acc=on

I'm planning to just use a premade RTK deck, so I won't be creating the cards individually. I guess my same question applies to using the Kanji stroke orders font. (i.e. can it be done in bulk, or is the edit required for every single card)

If I had to bulk edit, I'd probably just draw in a third split view tab.

Left = drawing program
Middle = Anki
Right = RTK book
Edited: 2018-01-10, 1:49 am
(2018-01-09, 7:06 pm)fkb9g Wrote:

I would worry in that situation that the handwriting recognition engine (which is tuned to be lenient in the interests of not misrecognizing users' sloppy writing and common mistakes) would recognize what I'd drawn even if I hadn't got it 100% right...
StickyStudy works well with Apple Pencil Smile
what about
小学生手書き漢字ドリル1006
from gakko-net
https://itunes.apple.com/jp/developer/ga...d420351196
I have played with it a bit on android. Its for kids, but it ticks the box of testing kanji writing.
Thanks for all the advice everyone!

One thing I haven't figured out. There have been two possible solutions posted:

* Install the Kanji Stroke order font: http://www.nihilist.org.uk/
* Or, change the cards to text input and use the traditional chinese input for ipad

They both sound workable. Except....I don't know how to do them. As far as I can tell, for text input, I would have to individually edit all 3000 cards.

As for the font, these were the instructions in the readme:

"Install this font as you would any other TrueType font. In the parts of your
document where you want the kanji to be annotated with stroke order numbers
simply set your document's font to KanjiStrokeOrders. "

That sounds like it's also asking me to individually edit 3000 cards.

Is there some way to batch edit a deck at once, for either method? I see "manage note types" in tools, but there's no clear "change font" option.

Sorry for being a noob at this. I've googled both methods and come up short with any simple solution. (I'm running anki on a mac, if that's relevant)
(2018-01-09, 3:59 pm)Shiranui Wrote: In AnkiMobile there's an option for toggling the scratchpad. As usual with Anki, the app itself doesn't grade your answer, and you have to determine yourself whether you wrote the kanji correctly or not. I don't think you can install fonts on AnkiMobile, but you can embed them with

in styling settings and then

<div class=mystyle1>{{Kanji}}</div>

in the card template. You need to place the font in the media folder on a computer and then sync it with Ankiweb. Also I think the file needs to have the underline before the name of the font (see above).
Edit: I'm dumb, should have tried it on an individual card first. Seems to work for font installation.

For making a typed entry for ios input, I'm not sure how to bulk edit though.

I'm not sure the font is installed correctly though. Here's what the settings are looks like: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wp3nwtd8e6r0s9...2.png?dl=0

It's showing "unknown field kanji"

----------------------

Sorry, I should have clarified. I read those instructions upthread, but:

1. I don't see any place for styling settings. I checked the preferences section of the mac anki app, as well as the deck options. I searched google for "anki styling settings" and also the help option on the anki app, but I'm not seeing anything.
2. I am likewise unable to find a card template within anki. 

On an individual card I see the front and back template, and a styling section. But, that doesn't appear to edit the whole deck. My question was whether it's possible to bulk edit the deck to install the font, rather than card by card.

Maybe I have a faulty assumption, and the edit options on a single card in a deck affect all cards in that deck?
Edited: 2018-01-13, 8:45 pm
(2018-01-13, 8:35 pm)graeme Wrote: Edit: I'm dumb, should have tried it on an individual card first. Seems to work for font installation.

For making a typed entry for ios input, I'm not sure how to bulk edit though.

I'm not sure the font is installed correctly though. Here's what the settings are looks like: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wp3nwtd8e6r0s9...2.png?dl=0

It's showing "unknown field kanji"

It seems the field for each kanji in your notes is named "Back" instead of "Kanji", so this can be fixed either renaming the field to "Kanji" or changing the card template by moving the <div class=mystyle1>{{Kanji}}</div> from front side to back of the card, replacing <span style= " ">{{Back}}</span> and renaming {{Kanji}} to {{Back}}. This should fix the issue if you want the kanji to appear only in the back side of the card (as usual with RTK) Smile  Also I don't think you need to have the <span style=" "> </span> in your cards as there's nothing inside the parenthesis. Furthermore I recommend increasing the font size of the Stroke order kanji so it's easier to see the numbers on an iPad like so:

.mystyle1 {
font-family: myfont;
font-size: 125px;
}

in the styling section of the cards.

As for the iOS input, I think it can be done by enabling Chinese (Traditional) Handwriting iOS keyboard in iOS settings. Then you need to have {{type:Back}} on both front and back side of the card to have it compare your input to the answer. However the kanji stroke order font can't be combined with this method I think.
Thanks! I got the Traditional Handwriting input method working. This part did it:

"As for the iOS input, I think it can be done by enabling Chinese (Traditional) Handwriting iOS keyboard in iOS settings. Then you need to have {{type:Back}} on both front and back side of the card to have it compare your input to the answer. "

I can't seem to get the stroke order font working for the answers though. Or, I'm not sure how it's supposed to work. I made a test deck, and installed it. These are my settings: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nnn2clywkts6sa...4.png?dl=0

That's using the "all in one kanji" deck from ankiweb. And, all the text of the cards works with stroke order on my ipad. Both English and Japanese texts show stroke order.

Except....the answer. The deck has a really large Kanji image as an answer, and then small text elsewhere:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5u2hlbh8uskak9...0.png?dl=0

You probably can't make it out from the screenshot, but all the Kanji and English letters have stroke order. But, not the big answer.

I'm not sure if there's a way around this with this deck. The answers seem to be using a separate input than the text. And there's no single line of text with the answer I can increase the font size on. Any ideas, or is stroke order incompatible with this deck?

(It's supposed to have stroke order built in, but doesn't seem to work on my mac or ipad)

I may just use the Traditional Handwriting input and forget about order. I'm following along with a stroke order app which shows the kanji when I learn new ones. And I did enough Skritter practice before that the stroke order is sort of built in. Though, it would be nice to get stroke order working.

(Not sure why it would be Kanji Stroke order would be incompatible with handwriting input in most cases, btw)