Back

2018 JLPT N2/N1 Thread

So, with the December 2017 JLPT finished, we are ready for a new thread! It might be a bit early, but as I didn't take any JLPT this year, I guess I'm pretty eager for next year Big Grin  If I see that correctly the summer JLPT should be on July 1st and the winter one should be on December 2nd.

As always, feel free to post your intentions, study routine, tips or just exchange thoughts in general!
I am eager to start preparing the N2 whether I pass the N3 this December or not. Since the SouMatome did an amazing job for me (specially 文法) I think I will stick to them for a while. After that I am going to tackle down the Kanzen Master which seams a reasonable follow up.
Before writing the opening post I actually thought I'd take N2 in July, but when I looked up the date for the post I noticed that I have another commitment I don't wanna miss on that day and even at roughly the same time... so much for that! Sooo, it's going to be December's test for me. To be honest, I'd probably fail it if I took it in July anyway, so it's not a big loss. I just have to be really careful not to slack off now....

So what's the starting point right now? I passed N3 a year ago, but had quite a few holes in my knowledge. If I had to sum it up: I'm pretty decent when it comes to "roughly getting it" but pretty bad at the small details. The former helps with reading and listening a lot, but I'd say if I had taken N2 last weekend, I probably still would have failed those sections because of my lacking vocab and kanji knowledge (and while my reading speed is more than fine for N3, it's probably too low for N2 as well). And well I would have failed the language knowledge part without any doubt, because that's essentially all about the small details...

I'm currently not yet entirely sure how to tackle the vocab issue, because that's definitely my biggest weakness. I find too much anki really bothersome, but I guess I do have to step it up a bit. Overall I think I want to keep a reading focus, but I'll need to graduate from my full furigana children books eventually, even though it will be quite painful :/

(edit fixed some typos, but post reads a bit strange. sorry, too tired :S)
Edited: 2017-12-07, 6:13 pm
See this thread for Holiday Countdown Deals (until Dec 15th)
JapanesePod101
(2017-12-07, 2:58 pm)sumsum Wrote: I'm currently not yet entirely sure how to tackle the vocab issue, because that's definitely my biggest weakness. I find too much anki really bothersome, but I guess I do have to step it up a bit. Overall I think I want to keep a reading focus, but I'll need to graduate from my full furigana children books eventually, even though it will be quite painful :/

Well, until recently I would have suggested reading webnovels on your phone with Rikaichan, but... Firefox done broke all that for now (please be fixed soon).
If you can get an older version you could still do that, but that might be a pain.

If you have some kind of reading app that has a dictionary feature, you could also download the chapters and read it on there, but that'd be extra work that I wouldn't want to do.

Anyway, point being, I made the transition from easy to read or furigana covered manga and such to not furigana covered stuff by reading webnovels with an Android port of Rikaichan (which had the export feature like Rikaisama).
I also got a lot of vocab this way (well, a few hundred, but I don't add everything I don't know).

The core of it is that making the lookup and saving processes easy allows you to focus on reading and makes things more interesting and less painful.
(2017-12-07, 8:16 am)LucasAristi Wrote: I am eager to start preparing the N2 whether I pass the N3 this December or not. Since the SouMatome did an amazing job for me (specially 文法) I think I will stick to them for a while. After that I am going to tackle down the Kanzen Master which seams a reasonable follow up.

But if you don't pass the N3 what would make you think you could pass the N2 only a year later?

Aside:  whoever runs the JLPT should tell you your marks if you fail as well as if you pass.  Then you could see why you failed and work on those areas.

But I guess that might reduce the number of attempts you make to pass (insert sound of cash registers ringing).
Edited: 2017-12-07, 9:11 pm
You are informed of your score even if you fail the exam, Phil. As well as individual scores on reading/listening/grammar/vocab.
Edited: 2017-12-07, 9:55 pm
(2017-12-07, 9:55 pm)Zgarbas Wrote: You are informed of your score even if you fail the exam, Phil. As well as individual scores on reading/listening/grammar/vocab.

Are you sure?  When I wrote the N5 I'm positive I read somewhere that if you fail the exam you don't get any scores.  I'll go back and look.
Only true if you left early afaik
http://www.jlpt.jp/e/guideline/results.html
Edited: 2017-12-07, 10:57 pm
(2017-12-07, 10:50 pm)phil321 Wrote:
(2017-12-07, 9:55 pm)Zgarbas Wrote: You are informed of your score even if you fail the exam, Phil. As well as individual scores on reading/listening/grammar/vocab.

Are you sure?  When I wrote the N5 I'm positive I read somewhere that if you fail the exam you don't get any scores.  I'll go back and look.

I failed N2 last year but received my scores.  They helped me focus my efforts for this year.
>_< does JLPT count as a 4 letter word?
So I decided I'm going to take N1 next year. I took N2 in Dec 2015 and got a 128/180. I only took it because i wanted it for my job search (what a waste if time that was... No one cares in Japan).

I've been working and living in Tokyo since March of this year so I think I've improved since coming. I decided to buy the Shin Kanzen Master reading and grammar books since those helped me out a ton for N2. Cracked open the reading study book during some downtime today just to see what I'm getting myself into. I got 5/6 questions right without any issues (the"read this passage and answer" type).

I'm still pretty weak in N1 level vocab, but I think I can probably pass N1. Kinda excited to take it now just as a personal goal. Big Grin
I'm not sure whether I'll take the JLPT next year. If I failed N2, then probably. If I passed N2, I wonder whether I'll be ready for N1 by December.