Back

2018 JLPT N2/N1 Thread

(2018-01-25, 8:44 am)satogaeru Wrote:
(2018-01-24, 11:49 pm)kayteekudo Wrote: My plan: Well, judging from the results it will be a whole year of reading for me ...

Do you participate in tadoku?  If not, I would highly recommend it.  I will never "win" tadoku but it has inspired me to read more than I ever thought possible.  It has really helped me get my reading speed and fluency up.  The "new balanced schedule" started this year, so the next contest is March 15-31.
Tadoku how-to

nippon.com has reasonably interesting articles on a variety of topics.  They are difficult for N2 but I found them helpful as a way to add variety to my reading diet.  Sometimes the same article is offered in translation as well.

http://shasetsu.seesaa.net/ aggregates opinion pieces from several magazines.  I dislike shasetsu and they are hard for me but I am sure I will be spending a lot of time on this site this year.

If you are recommending sites for good quality reading materials I recommend: http://gendai.ismedia.jp/

I read one recently, a multi-part series about North Korean spies in Japan that was really interesting.
Is it accurate to say that with rare exceptions you won't be able to pass N2 or N1 unless you spend some time living in Japan?
(2018-01-25, 8:15 pm)phil321 Wrote: Is it accurate to say that with rare exceptions you won't be able to pass N2 or N1 unless you spend some time living in Japan?

LOL
Breakthrough Sale! Get 28% OFF Basic, Premium or Premium PLUS! (until March 2)
JapanesePod101
(2018-01-25, 9:34 pm)karageko Wrote:
(2018-01-25, 8:15 pm)phil321 Wrote: Is it accurate to say that with rare exceptions you won't be able to pass N2 or N1 unless you spend some time living in Japan?

LOL

Karageko is like the living proof that all you need to pass the N1 is selling your soul to Anki. There's no need at all to live in Japan to achieve this level. It's called studying. You keep at it for a couple years daily and you'll get there, no matter where you live.
(2018-01-25, 9:42 pm)Nandemonai Wrote:
(2018-01-25, 9:34 pm)karageko Wrote:

LOL

Karageko is like the living proof that all you need to pass the N1 is selling your soul to Anki. There's no need at all to live in Japan to achieve this level. It's called studying. You keep at it for a couple years daily and you'll get there, no matter where you live.

Add another one here (my nose is going to catch on the door if it gets any taller).

Even though I only barely passed N1 this time, I've been at a level where I should have been able to pass N2 easily for a couple of years now.
Nope. I found it was helpful (a) for motivation -- when you're surrounded by the language it's obvious why you're doing it and there's lots of opportunities for quick reinforcement of what you learn; and (b) because attending a language school meant I had nine months when learning Japanese was my main job, not just a part time hobby. But I think that (b) was the most important, and the reason that the stats for N1/N2 passes are biased towards the in-Japan test sites is just that there's a higher percentage of people there willing (and motivated often by practical goals like getting in to a university) to put in the hours over the long haul and in many cases able to study full time.
(2018-01-25, 12:17 pm)Roketzu Wrote:
(2018-01-25, 8:44 am)satogaeru Wrote:
(2018-01-24, 11:49 pm)kayteekudo Wrote: My plan: Well, judging from the results it will be a whole year of reading for me ...

Do you participate in tadoku?  If not, I would highly recommend it.  I will never "win" tadoku but it has inspired me to read more than I ever thought possible.  It has really helped me get my reading speed and fluency up.  The "new balanced schedule" started this year, so the next contest is March 15-31.
Tadoku how-to

nippon.com has reasonably interesting articles on a variety of topics.  They are difficult for N2 but I found them helpful as a way to add variety to my reading diet.  Sometimes the same article is offered in translation as well.

http://shasetsu.seesaa.net/ aggregates opinion pieces from several magazines.  I dislike shasetsu and they are hard for me but I am sure I will be spending a lot of time on this site this year.

If you are recommending sites for good quality reading materials I recommend: http://gendai.ismedia.jp/

I read one recently, a multi-part series about North Korean spies in Japan that was really interesting.

Thanks a lot! I'll definitely check out these sites.

For my reading style, for printed materials, I used to have a dictionary app on the side and immediately list out the words I don't know but I got tired really quickly and just opted to list down the first 10 words I don't know and if there were other unfamiliar words after that, I either ignore it or guess the meaning. It kind of worked when I was reading manga. I stop reading when I feel like I no longer have an idea what was going on. I hardly re-read materials twice unless it was a JLPT related book. For stuff on the internet, I'm a bit of a cheat because I turn on rikai-chan at the first opportunity I get. I definitely should improve my reading.

To be honest, reading comprehension has always been my weakness, even on English materials (or Filipino for that matter). I enjoy reading novels and whatever post on the internet, but come the reading comprehension tests, I barely pass it. I don't enjoy guessing what the writer felt or what his opinion is on something. It even cost me my university entrance exams at one point. But it doesn't hurt trying to be better at it now.
July 2017 70/180 in N2 (20,20,30), Vocab/Reading/Listening
Dec 2017 70/180 in N2 (17,10,43) Vocab/Reading/Listening

Both results was due to lack of motivation. Anyone else stuck in a loop?
(2018-01-25, 12:17 pm)Roketzu Wrote: If you are recommending sites for good quality reading materials I recommend: http://gendai.ismedia.jp/

Thank for posting this!  This looks like a good resource.

(2018-01-30, 6:31 am)redshoulder Wrote: July 2017  70/180 in N2 (20,20,30), Vocab/Reading/Listening
Dec 2017  70/180 in N2 (17,10,43) Vocab/Reading/Listening

Both results was due to lack of motivation.  Anyone else stuck in a loop?

You got a 43 on the December listening?  Nice!  Do you have any tips on practicing listening?

My two cents... I took N2 twice.  I did really poorly with vocab / grammar in December 2016, so I really focused on those for December 2017 (passed 47/31/32).  I used the 新完全マスター manuals for 文法 (finished) and 語彙 (only made it partway) and drilled with a flashcard program.  For vocabulary this was apparently enough.  But, I found that I wasn't completely absorbing the grammar points using this method.  It was seeing them in context in a novel that really helped them click.

Reading speed is my other problem - I ran out of time both times.  I wonder if you have this problem too.  I don't know the solution on this one, except to do more reading.

EDIT: While I'm here I guess I could update on my "progress" on N1. While putting together my study schedule, I decided not to get the N1 語彙 unless / until I can finish my N2 語彙. I did find the スリーエー website where they post samples of the textbooks. Based on CerpinTaxt's posts in the 2017 N1/N2 thread I think I'm going to pick up the 読解. I listened to the sample N2 聴解 and... I think it's not enough. Not fast enough, not complicated enough. So I'm still in the market for something to help with listening.
Edited: 2018-02-01, 11:07 am
I will be taking N1 next december.. maybe. I will study like I will take it.

This december I took N2, I barely manages grammar/vocab and reading parts, but I got 58/60 from listening. Listening is definitely my strong point in any languages. I have passed N1 listening with same kind of score.
But.... Grammar is my worst enemy with reading comprehension. I can understand, what I am reading and I can enjoy reading books etc, but finding correct answers is horrible. I haven't find a solution how to study for example grammar for the exam. I have dyslexia, which affects in my grammar understanding and usage recarding the language. I usually see sense in things that doesn't make any and otherway round. If someone has good advices, I am all ears.
[quote pid='249476' dateline='1517500308']
satogaeru

I think good listening score is due to the 2 years as Japanese Salaryman answering phone-calls while doing main work as engineer.

I find the kanzen master series to be intimidating, I have all the books but only used the reading. The grammar book looks the worst.

My main problem besides motivation is vocab and reading, when I'm reading because of lack of vocab and slow reading speed its hard to understand the content.

For vocab I'm using the Core 10k but have a low new card limit (5) maybe I will increase but I don't want to increase too much due to other decks and getting anki burnout.

My grammar is also poor, but maybe I will use the kanzen master grammar book.

[/quote]
Edited: 2018-02-07, 10:29 am
(2018-02-07, 10:27 am)redshoulder Wrote: I think good listening score is due to the 2 years as Japanese Salaryman answering phone-calls while doing main work as engineer.

Darn, I can't copy your method there. I'll keep going with the old test listening and hope it helps.

(2018-02-07, 10:27 am)redshoulder Wrote: I find the kanzen master series to be intimidating, I have all the books but only used the reading. The grammar book looks the worst.

My main problem besides motivation is vocab and reading, when I'm reading because of lack of vocab and slow reading speed its hard to understand the content.

For vocab I'm using the Core 10k but have a low new card limit (5) maybe I will increase but I don't want to increase too much due to other decks and getting anki burnout.

My grammar is also poor, but maybe I will use the kanzen master grammar book.

Well, I might recommend buying the N3 grammar book too. It might seem like a waste of time, but I found it very helpful when I first took N2. I knew most (but not all) of the N3 grammar points, but I benefited anyway, both from harvesting the N3 vocabulary I didn't know and from being able to read the grammar point descriptions in the N2 book when I got to it. (The N3 book has English translations of the grammar point descriptions but the N2 book does not.)

Actually this is similar to what I'm doing with those old listening tests this time around. I'm starting with N3 listening to get a clear idea of the structure and format of the questions - how they trick you, for example - and to harvest any "easy" vocabulary. I had so much trouble with listening during the actual exam that I'm not even confident to do this with old N2 tests yet. I'll start on those when I feel good about N3 level. I'm hoping I can plow through the N3 and N2 listening by June or July so that I can start really focusing on the N1 listening.
My 読解 manual came this week! I started looking through it and yikes, I'm doomed. N1 vocabulary and grammar still seem so far out of reach. Oh well, nothing for it but to keep going I guess.
Anyone here who just passed the JLPT N3 in Dec 2017 and will take N2 in July 2017?