Back

SRS every other day?

I'm thinking someone has to have tried this already. Instead of doing reviews every day, doing reviews every other day. Would it make it feel more fresh so you retain better or would the additional reviews from not splitting into up make it worse?

I could just try it out myself and see if it works better. I've been doing it every day for so many years though that it's kind of a scary thought.
(2017-12-02, 12:05 am)kraemder Wrote: I'm thinking someone has to have tried this already. Instead of doing reviews every day, doing reviews every other day. Would it make it feel more fresh so you retain better or would the additional reviews from not splitting into up make it worse?

I could just try it out myself and see if it works better. I've been doing it every day for so many years though that it's kind of a scary thought.

If you had all of your cards matured it would probably be okay.  There's no way I would remember new cards over that gap though.
I think it would be a big mistake. You spent years developing a useful, daily habit. Why would you want to take yourself out of it?
See this thread for Holiday Countdown Deals (until Dec 15th)
JapanesePod101
I say go for it. It seems probably more efficient to do it that way. I do anki reviews once a week and I'm fine. Usually My memory is better than what anki thinks anyway. It's just an algorithm and it's certainly not perfect
I have done this when busy and the results are disappointing. Part of the problem is the Anki alg is very basic. I think the newer SuperMemo algs are much more sophisticated and might work better.

It would be nice if Anki could license the better algs for a fee.
Also make sure you tweak the anki settings like steps like i personally don't need steps so i made it one step of 2440
Edited: 2017-12-02, 3:11 pm
I haven't tried what you are suggesting, but in my experience the only ways to reduce the burden of SRS are to suspend leeches, and study/reinforce the material outside of SRS to improve speed/accuracy during reviews.

Any attempt to cheat by tweaking settings etc has tradeoffs that will render it neutral at best.

It also gets very stale and boring if you stop adding new material.
I can't see any benefit to skipping every other day but several drawbacks as other people mentioned. I know the days when I don't get my reviews done the day before are much more of a chore. I don't think I'd want that every other day. Personally, I try to to chop my anki workload into as many small bits as I can throughout the day as it makes it much less of a burden.