Back

Anki question (I apologize in advance for being a nuisance)

I know everyone hates these Anki questions.  I apologize.  I’ve already asked this on the Anki subreddit and couldn’t get any help there. 

I’m wanting to improve my production, but I don’t want to start over with my 4000 cards.  What I’d like to do is keep my progress, (clone my deck?) and change the clone to cloze_delete then progress through both together.

Right now my deck is kanji-vocab recognition>typing> to example Sentences+audio.  

I want the example sentence on the front with the blue converted to cloze delete.  I can’t for the life of me figure out where the *vocab within the sentence* is inside the html code.  It seems like it would be easy to change “blue” to “cloze delete” but I can’t figure out where it is.

Thanks, and sorry for being annoying AF... :/

My deck example:
http://imgur.com/5pvhlO3

http://imgur.com/ccXeiPp

My code:

Front Template:
{{#MyOwnNote-Recognition}}<div class=notesrec>({{MyOwnNote-Recognition}})</div>{{/MyOwnNote-Recognition}}
<span style="font-family: Mincho; font-size: 35px; ">{{Vocab}}</span> 
{{type:Vocab-Kana}}
Styling: .card { font-family: calibri; font-size: 17px; }
.jpsentence b { font-weight: normal; } .kanjified, .vocabkana, code#typeans, .jpsentence, .vocab { font-family: Meiryo; }.card { font-family: calibri; font-size: 17px; }
.jpsentence b { font-weight: normal; } .kanjified, .vocabkana, code#typeans, .jpsentence, .vocab { font-family: Meiryo; }
.jpsentence b, .vocabfuri, .vocabkana, .vocabtrans { color: blue; } .notesprod, .notesrec { color: green; } .pos { color: hsl(15, 80%, 40%); } .nofurigana ruby rt { opacity: 0.0; }
code#typeans, .jpsentence, .vocab { font-size: 1.5em; } .vocabkana, .vocabtrans { font-size: 1.2em; }
img { margin-top: 5px; }
.jpsentence b, .vocabfuri, .vocabkana, .vocabtrans { color: blue; } .notesprod, .notesrec { color: green; } .pos { color: hsl(15, 80%, 40%); } .nofurigana ruby rt { opacity: 0.0; }
code#typeans, .jpsentence, .vocab { font-size: 1.5em; } .vocabkana, .vocabtrans { font-size: 1.2em; }
Back Template: {{FrontSide}}
<hr id=answer>
<div class='jpsentence nofurigana'>{{furigana:Sentence}} <ruby style="visibility: hidden"> <rt> </rt></ruby></div> {{#MyOwnNote-Recognition}}<div class=notesrec>({{MyOwnNote-Recognition}})</div>{{/MyOwnNote-Recognition}} <div class=ensentence>{{Sentence-Translation}}</div> <br> <br> <br>
<span class=vocabkana>{{Vocab-Kana}} </span> 
<span class=vocabtrans>{{#Vocabulary-PitchAccent}}({{Vocabulary-PitchAccent}}){{/Vocabulary-PitchAccent}} → {{Vocab-Translation}} </span> <br> {{#Part-of-Speech}}<span class=pos>[{{Part-of-Speech}}] {{/Part-of-Speech}}<span class=notesprod>{{Notes-Vocab-in-Sentence}}</span></span>
<div>{{Image}}</div> <div><strong>vocab frequency:</strong> {{Optimized-Voc-Index2k+4kDefault}}</div> {{#Vocab-RTK}}<div><strong>vocab RTK:</strong> {{Vocab-RTK}} <span class=kanjified>({{Kanjified-Vocab}})</span></div>{{/Vocab-RTK}}
{{Vocab-Audio}} {{Sentence-Audio}}
<style> b { background-color:transparent } .nofurigana ruby rt { opacity:1;} </style>
Edited: 2017-12-01, 5:37 am
(2017-12-01, 5:36 am)theadamie Wrote: I want the example sentence on the front with the blue converted to cloze delete.  I can’t for the life of me figure out where the *vocab within the sentence* is inside the html code.  It seems like it would be easy to change “blue” to “cloze delete” but I can’t figure out where it is.

Can you edit a card (default shortcut "e" when you are on a card) and maybe show us what the cards look like there? (what fields are present, especially how is the sentence field formatted, also maybe open up html-editor for that field and look for markups there).
(2017-12-01, 9:03 am)sumsum Wrote:
(2017-12-01, 5:36 am)theadamie Wrote: I want the example sentence on the front with the blue converted to cloze delete.  I can’t for the life of me figure out where the *vocab within the sentence* is inside the html code.  It seems like it would be easy to change “blue” to “cloze delete” but I can’t figure out where it is.

Can you edit a card (default shortcut "e" when you are on a card) and maybe show us what the cards look like there? (what fields are present, especially how is the sentence field formatted, also maybe open up html-editor for that field and look for markups there).

Like this?  What is the html editor?  Is that not what I posted above?
[Image: klzEZZQ.jpg]
Edited: 2017-12-01, 11:53 am
See this thread for Holiday Countdown Deals (until Dec 15th)
JapanesePod101
Yes, thank you, that much is fine Smile  you can also add html in a field, but looks like that doesn't really matter here.
The "vocab within the sentence" is basically the bolded stuff in the sentence.

In the cardlayout, especially in the css there are lots of unnecessary duplicates (basically there's everything twice in the css), so I don't blame you for not finding what you were looking for...

Looking at the important parts... This will print the sentence:
Code:
<div class='jpsentence'>{{furigana:Sentence}}></div>

In the css I'm just going ahead an delete everything that is there twice (no further cleanup or reorganization), then it looks like this:
Quote:card { font-family: calibri; font-size: 17px; }
.jpsentence b { font-weight: normal; }
.kanjified, .vocabkana, code#typeans, .jpsentence, .vocab { font-family: Meiryo; }
.jpsentence b, .vocabfuri, .vocabkana, .vocabtrans { color: blue; }
.notesprod, .notesrec { color: green; }
.pos { color: hsl(15, 80%, 40%); }
.nofurigana ruby rt { opacity: 0.0; }
code#typeans, .jpsentence, .vocab { font-size: 1.5em; }
.vocabkana, .vocabtrans { font-size: 1.2em; }

What makes the target word in the sentence (and also the vocab in general) blue is this:
Code:
You could split that up like this:
Code:
.jpsentence b{ color: blue; }
.vocabfuri, .vocabkana, .vocabtrans { color: blue; }
Then the first line is what makes the vocab in the sentence blue (more specifically everything thats bolded in tags with class "jpsentence") and the second line is just the vocab word is blue at the other places on the card. I did this just to separate what you might want to edit. (You might want to change the first line but keep the second)

I think Anki has a specific cloze delete card-type which seems to be especially useful if you have multiple clozes on one card. Using that would be a bit more complicated (probably need to export your card, do some search and replace magic etc and import again) But as you only ever have one cloze I guess you could also just go with the card and its fields as it is and only edit the card template or so.

The very simplest I can think of to make a "cloze delete" would be to just make the word disappear aka something like
Code:
.jpsentence b{ color: transparent; }
but there are probably a thousand other ways to go about this... (of course you still need to reorganize in the html what you wanna have on the front and back etc)

I have no idea what's the best idea in regards to duplicating the deck or not or whatever other anki-ways there would be.

P.S. it's kind of funny to see how people messed with the furigana for the sentence...
Edited: 2017-12-01, 1:30 pm
(2017-12-01, 1:14 pm)sumsum Wrote: Yes, thank you, that much is fine Smile  you can also add html in a field, but looks like that doesn't really matter here.
The "vocab within the sentence" is basically the bolded stuff in the sentence.

In the cardlayout, especially in the css there are lots of unnecessary duplicates (basically there's everything twice in the css), so I don't blame you for not finding what you were looking for...

Looking at the important parts... This will print the sentence:
Code:
<div class='jpsentence'>{{furigana:Sentence}}></div>

In the css I'm just going ahead an delete everything that is there twice (no further cleanup or reorganization), then it looks like this:
Quote:card { font-family: calibri; font-size: 17px; }
.jpsentence b { font-weight: normal; }
.kanjified, .vocabkana, code#typeans, .jpsentence, .vocab { font-family: Meiryo; }
.notesprod, .notesrec { color: green; }
.pos { color: hsl(15, 80%, 40%); }
.nofurigana ruby rt { opacity: 0.0; }
code#typeans, .jpsentence, .vocab { font-size: 1.5em; }
.vocabkana, .vocabtrans { font-size: 1.2em; }

What makes the target word in the sentence (and also the vocab in general) blue is this:
Code:
You could split that up like this:
Code:
.jpsentence b{ color: blue; }
.vocabfuri, .vocabkana, .vocabtrans { color: blue; }
Then the first line is what makes the vocab in the sentence blue (more specifically everything thats bolded in tags with class "jpsentence") and the second line is just the vocab word is blue at the other places on the card. I did this just to separate what you might want to edit.  (You might want to change the first line but keep the second)

I think Anki has a specific cloze delete card-type which seems to be especially useful if you have multiple clozes on one card. Using that would be a bit more complicated (probably need to export your card, do some search and replace magic etc and import again) But as you only ever have one cloze I guess you could also just go with the card and its fields as it is and only edit the card template or so.

The very simplest I can think of to make a "cloze delete" would be to just make the word disappear aka something like
Code:
.jpsentence b{ color: transparent; }
but there are probably a thousand other ways to go about this... (of course you still need to reorganize in the html what you wanna have on the front and back etc)

I have no idea what's the best idea in regards to duplicating the deck or not or whatever other anki-ways there would be.

P.S. it's kind of funny to see how people messed with the furigana for the sentence...

Dude, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to write this.  Since I had everything twice I guess that means editing one place didn't change anything because it created conflicting information?  I'm going to work right now, but I'll definitely try this when I get home.

Transparency on the vocabulary would work.  It would be even better if I could underline it black to see where it's at.  Then I could just leave the typing feature I have as it is.

I'll play with that tonight or tomorrow when I get some time.  Thanks!

Also, do you do any kind of coding here in Japan?  I've thought about trying to learn.  Seems like a decent way out of the eikaiwa-underworld Wink
Your advice was extremely useful but I'm still having one issue with Anki.
The new note type works pretty well. The typing feature (actually {{Front}} in the back template) causes the vocab to disappear so I had to disable it, besides that all is well. I can still type, but it doesn't compare the wrong and right answer.

Anyways, I don't know how I can make 2 anki decks from the original and run them concurrently under the same profile. It looks like I have 2 choices.

1: New card type, but all new cards start at zero progress. I have to work through 5000 cards again.

2: Import the new Close-delete deck under a 2nd profile.

Is there any way to get anki to not recognize the new deck and to trick it into bringing it in like a normal imported deck?

Sorry, my explanation is probably horrible. Thanks so much for the help so far.
If you're changing what sort of question is asked, how much does the existing progress data make sense? Also, if you duplicate the progress data, the same note would come up the same day in both decks for each one's next review. I would probably start over with a generous "easy" interval.

An advantage of using a second card type with the same notes is keeping the note data in sync when you edit things.
(2017-12-08, 9:53 am)HelenF Wrote: If you're changing what sort of question is asked, how much does the existing progress data make sense? Also, if you duplicate the progress data, the same note would come up the same day in both decks for each one's next review. I would probably start over with a generous "easy" interval.

An advantage of using a second card type with the same notes is keeping the note data in sync when you edit things.

I'm not sure this would even work since the style data is totally different.  I'd really rather keep my data and let my natural answers reset the cards to good positions as I go.  I changed my studying style once at about 3000 cards and it was only difficult for a few weeks and then things just fell into place.
It might work to import into a second profile, rename the deck (EDIT and note type), export it again, and import it back into the first profile. I'm not sure about that though.
Edited: 2017-12-08, 10:03 am
(2017-12-08, 10:01 am)HelenF Wrote: It might work to import into a second profile, rename the deck (EDIT and note type), export it again, and import it back into the first profile. I'm not sure about that though.

Thanks, but I already tried this and it didn't work.  I can't figure out what Anki uses to identify the deck...  I changed everything I could think of.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what the problem is.  You can just create a 2nd card template and it will double the number of cards you have and you can format which information is shown.  I believe(haven't tried) you can even move the new cards into another deck and they will be effectively 2 separate decks which happen to share the same note.  Sorry if this is a basic question but do you understand the difference between a note and a card?
(2017-12-08, 10:05 am)theadamie Wrote: Thanks, but I already tried this and it didn't work.  I can't figure out what Anki uses to identify the deck...  I changed everything I could think of.
What didn't work?  It recognized the cards were already in your collection, so it ignored them?  If that's the case, anki is checking the first note field against every note already in your collection and only importing the unique ones.  But you can tell anki to import duplicates in the import dialog, then you will have your 2 decks, separate in every way.  But I suggest making it work with the 2nd card template as edits will carry over to the 2nd deck and won't inflate your note database.
(2017-12-08, 4:21 pm)yogert909 Wrote: I'm sorry, but I don't understand what the problem is.  You can just create a 2nd card template and it will double the number of cards you have and you can format which information is shown.  I believe(haven't tried) you can even move the new cards into another deck and they will be effectively 2 separate decks which happen to share the same note.  Sorry if this is a basic question but do you understand the difference between a note and a card?
(2017-12-08, 10:05 am)theadamie Wrote: Thanks, but I already tried this and it didn't work.  I can't figure out what Anki uses to identify the deck...  I changed everything I could think of.
What didn't work?  It recognized the cards were already in your collection, so it ignored them?  If that's the case, anki is checking the first note field against every note already in your collection and only importing the unique ones.  But you can tell anki to import duplicates in the import dialog, then you will have your 2 decks, separate in every way.  But I suggest making it work with the 2nd card template as edits will carry over to the 2nd deck and won't inflate your note database.

I’ll try the import duplicates option later.  Is it easy to find because I’ve never seen it.  

By “second template” do you mean card type in the editing screen?  Because that reverts all the cards back to new.
I have only dabbled with it a little, but this could be very useful for your purposes (especially the "Full note copy"):

https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1566928056

I'd probably still try it first in a different profile just to make sure you don't mess up your old deck. (and well export your old deck with the progress just to be sure as well)

What I'd do is probably: prepare a new note type, then in the browser select all your notes, make a full copy and then change the old ones (those were still selected when I tried it) to the new note type. If you wanted to you could also move them to another deck at this point in time.

Use at your own risk (because yes, it creates duplicates for your whole deck) and maybe tell us if it works... Big Grin !
Edited: 2017-12-09, 11:32 am