Back

Post your Anki vocab numbers and self-assesment

I want to see where people are in anki number-wise and how they feel about their Japanese.  I'd really like to meet some anki monsters who are in the 20k+ range.

I'm at about 4500 words,  4000 mature.  
  • I can easily read NHK Easy
  • I can understand some novels kind-of-sort-of but need a dictionary, currently reading Harry Potter in the Wakaru App (highly recommend) 
  • jlpt 3 reading is pretty easy.
  • My conversations are okay, I can usually talk to people fairly well 1-on-1, but get lost in conversations when it's multiple Japanese people talking to each other.
  • Watching Japanese Netflix with Japanese subtitles gives me a rough understanding of the story, but I'm lost if I have to only listen to what's happening most of the time.
Edited: 2017-11-26, 11:03 pm
*cough* related thread https://forum.koohii.com/thread-13036.html

Now as someone who only Ankies a modest amount (https://forum.koohii.com/thread-14580.html), I'll put up my stats anyway. Only including my vocab deck below (so no grammar/RTK)

Core6k = 6000
Personal deck (almost entirely mined from novels, see second link above) = 16095

So approx 22095 words. Accounting for an average 85% retention rate, at any given moment I might maybe recognize and understand perhaps 18780~ words (in text)? Not the most accurate way to approximate but oh well.

My actual understanding of native materials I feel is a lot weaker than those numbers though, undoubtedly because I don't spend enough time consuming native material. Putting the charade aside, would not recommend Anki-ing non-stop. But you should totally Anki like a lunatic so that you can join the GLORIOUS 7DC.
(2017-11-27, 12:05 am)karageko Wrote: *cough* related thread https://forum.koohii.com/thread-13036.html

Now as someone who only Ankies a modest amount (https://forum.koohii.com/thread-14580.html), I'll put up my stats anyway. Only including my vocab deck below (so no grammar/RTK)

Core6k = 6000
Personal deck (almost entirely mined from novels, see second link above) = 16095

So approx 22095 words. Accounting for an average 85% retention rate, at any given moment I might maybe recognize and understand perhaps 18780~ words (in text)? Not the most accurate way to approximate but oh well.

My actual understanding of native materials I feel is a lot weaker than those numbers though, undoubtedly because I don't spend enough time consuming native material. Putting the charade aside, would not recommend Anki-ing non-stop. But you should totally Anki like a lunatic so that you can join the GLORIOUS 7DC.

Do you live in Japan?  How much native material are you taking in?

What is the glorious 7DC?

I do my anki in the train at work and then usually hit the new words again on the way home.  I study Japanese with books during downtime at work, read sometimes on the train home and speak Japanese with friends most days.  

Co-workers are all Japanese that have lived abroad, some are cool with speaking Japanese to me, and a few are actively *against* the concept of foreigners learning Japanese.  

One of my coworkers has made it abundantly clear that foreigners have no place to speak to customers directly and has even interrupted my conversations that were initiated by customers wanting to talk to me.  She thinks foreigners shouldn't learn Japanese at all.  Daily life for a foreigner isn't important because it's a vacation.  She would be happy if we came, had fun and went home.

So, speaking, yea, hit and miss for me...
See this thread for Holiday Countdown Deals (extended to Dec 26th)
JapanesePod101
Total Anki vocab cards: 10267 (probably know more than this, probably don't know all of these)
Mature: 6236
Suspended: 3961
Young: 70

My suspended cards are those that are super easy, though there might be one or two leeches hiding in there.

Assessment:
- Regularly enjoy manga, games, VNs, and LNs in Japanese. Haven't broken into regular novels yet, but that's as much because I don't have an easy way of finding things I'd enjoy and acquiring them.
Not perfect at reading by any means, but I can enjoy what I read without much effort.

- Going for N1 again.

- I suck at speaking, but I can follow conversations with three people (most Japanese speakers I've been around at once).

- Can listen to audio dramas, anime, dramas(?), and documentaries with effort. Visuals help for the last two, but not quite enough to say it's easy. Anime is usually fine with visuals.

Takeaway: Anki does absolutely nothing for your conversation skills, only vocabulary and grammar.
Edited: 2017-11-27, 9:27 am
(2017-11-27, 1:27 am)theadamie Wrote: Do you live in Japan?  How much native material are you taking in?

7DC (https://forum.koohii.com/thread-14580.html)

I don't live in Japan. I was there for three summers in a row a couple years back, but my conversational skills have totally atrophied since then. Never enjoyed doing small-talk (even in English) but it probably would have made conversations a lot easier when I was in Japan. My speaking ability probably hit its peak about 3~ years back and has just gone downhill since then (this was also when I had exhausted all classes at school).

My consumption of native material is very up and down. Depends whether or not I just feel like actually reading a novel pretty much.

I really like the 逆転裁判 series so that's the one thing that I'll go out of my way to play. Now it's pretty effortless to play those games.
15264 vocab note types (I have multiple types of card per one vocab; reading, meaning etc...), out of which around 15k are in review. I have only two decks (one for computer, one for phone) so the notes are all mixed up and I have no idea about retention or amount of mature vocab cards. It says 90% for all of them so maybe that gives a rough idea (although around half of them are sentence cards which pass 99% of the time, boosting the score). Atm I have 86277 cards in total (Subs2srs and EpwingAnki makes it really easy to make new sentence and vocab cards). Started doing Anki in 2013 so passed the 7DC mark a while ago (1032206 reviews, 1924 hours in total). Welp.

I passed N1 this summer by accident (I didn't have enough time for proper study besides Anki reviews). Around 300 in JCAT. Although I'm still slow as ***** in reading long texts (I really need to get more reading done (I hate long sentence cards)). As native media I mostly consume novels, podcasts, anime, drama, games etc. Can understand pretty much everything with JP subs, maybe 75% without them (same as in English, which is not my native language). Actually I think my Japanese level is nowadays around the same level as my English (except for the reading part), which is not saying much tbh. But I guess I reached the level I set out as my goal when I began studying five years ago. Now excuse me while I go read a 社説 and cry myself to sleep.

(2017-11-27, 1:27 am)theadamie Wrote:
(2017-11-27, 12:05 am)karageko Wrote: *cough* related thread https://forum.koohii.com/thread-13036.html

Core6k = 6000

My actual understanding of native materials I feel is a lot weaker than those numbers though, undoubtedly because I don't spend enough time consuming native material. Putting the charade aside, would not recommend Anki-ing non-stop. But you should totally Anki like a lunatic so that you can join the GLORIOUS 7DC.

I do my anki in the train at work and then usually hit the new words again on the way home.  I study Japanese with books during downtime at work, read sometimes on the train home and speak Japanese with friends most days.  

Co-workers are all Japanese that have lived abroad, some are cool with speaking Japanese to me, and a few are actively *against* the concept of foreigners learning Japanese.  

One of my coworkers has made it abundantly clear that foreigners have no place to speak to customers directly and has even interrupted my conversations that were initiated by customers wanting to talk to me.  She thinks foreigners shouldn't learn Japanese at all.  Daily life for a foreigner isn't important because it's a vacation.  She would be happy if we came, had fun and went home.

That is a really stupid way of looking at things. I'd hate having a coworker like that. I guess she also thinks that Japanese people have no right to live abroad and should come back home ASAP? I guess she would be delighted if Japan went back to way things were in Edo period...

E: Please tell me she's in her 60's.
Edited: 2017-11-27, 1:34 pm
(2017-11-27, 1:28 pm)Shiranui Wrote: 15264 vocab note types (I have multiple types of card per one vocab; reading, meaning etc...), out of which around 15k are in review. I have only two decks (one for computer, one for phone) so the notes are all mixed up and I have no idea about retention or amount of mature vocab cards. It says 90% for all of them so maybe that gives a rough idea (although around half of them are sentence cards which pass 99% of the time, boosting the score). Atm I have 86277 cards in total (Subs2srs and EpwingAnki makes it really easy to make new sentence and vocab cards). Started doing Anki in 2013 so passed the 7DC mark a while ago (1032206 reviews, 1924 hours in total). Welp.

I passed N1 this summer by accident (I didn't have enough time for proper study besides Anki reviews). Around 300 in JCAT. Although I'm still slow as ***** in reading long texts (I really need to get more reading done (I hate long sentence cards)). As native media I mostly consume novels, podcasts, anime, drama, games etc. Can understand pretty much everything with JP subs, maybe 75% without them (same as in English, which is not my native language). Actually I think my Japanese level is nowadays around the same level as my English (except for the reading part), which is not saying much tbh. But I guess I reached the level I set out as my goal when I began studying five years ago. Now excuse me while I go read a 社説 and cry myself to sleep.

Core6k = 6000

My actual understanding of native materials I feel is a lot weaker than those numbers though, undoubtedly because I don't spend enough time consuming native material. Putting the charade aside, would not recommend Anki-ing non-stop. But you should totally Anki like a lunatic so that you can join the GLORIOUS 7DC.

That is a really stupid way of looking at things. I'd hate having a coworker like that. I guess she also thinks that Japanese people have no right to live abroad and should come back home ASAP? I guess she would be delighted if Japan went back to way things were in Edo period...

E: Please tell me she's in her 60's.

I would guess she’s around 60.  She only works 2 days a week, and that’s probably just because of boredom.  Basically retired I guess.

Core6k = 6000

Haha this seemed to be the unspoken philosophy of about half the Japanese population I felt. Maybe more. They do hide their true feelings a lot. It's  very discouraging and I decided I wanted to go home and did. America is so much friendlier I think.