Back

Firefox 57 "Quantum"

I'm giving it a run as main browser. So far so good.

I don't use many addons: Instapaper, Flipboard (Flip this!), Twitch Now & Twitch 5, uBlock Origin. So it was realtively painless to switch.

Pocket integration might be handy, I don't know. I just removed it from address bar until I decide I want to try it.

The "Take a Screenshot" feature is handy enough that I might not need an extension for that.

Adding search engines is easier to do in Chrome. Here you have to edit bookmark to add the keyword and custom URL, and right clicking a search field to do that in my experience is a hit and miss so may as well not bother. The completion when you type a site or a keyword for a custom search is much better in Chrome. Chrome uses a special UX as soon as you press Tab or Space after the keyword giving instant feedback of what will happen. Firefox just shows "keyword something" in address bar you don't know if that keyword is mispelled perhaps, it's just a poke in the dark as to what happens. This is probably what I will miss the most:
[Image: YTD5XFX.png]

I also kept Firefox 56 with the "Complete YouTube Saver" which is not ported over. I read about something called Video Download Helper but I don't know how it compares (CYS can save YouTube in the highest quality, as well as in audio only).

Right now I'd like to :

- switch the builtin shortcut for Private Window from Ctrl Shift P to Ctrl Shift N (as in Chrome), which can be used with left hand only

- find a nicer start page... you can hide the cruft but the remaining Top Sites is a bit less convenient than Chrome. Pinned sites should come first, but the top-leftmost thumbs keep showing random pages. Kinda silly... why don't they move the Pinned ones to a separate row above, that would make more sense.

Oh and the dev tools (eg. Ctrl Shift C) are still slow despite the Quantum engine. Takes a good second to draw for me .. so I might still use Chrome for that.

Please share tips and good addons you find in FireFox 57 Smile
Edited: 2017-11-17, 8:48 am
Noticed an interesting difference whereby an extension does not go in sleep mode in FIrefox 57.

While it's arguably less optimized, it's better for me: Twitch Now's sound notification can be heard as long as the PC is on and even if Firefox is minimized and the screensaver is running. In Chrome the notifications just stop as soon as the screensaver is on. Twitch notifications on my iPad are next to useless with te wifi frequently turning off, so the browser extension in Firefox not going to sleep is helpful.
Firefox it's always been my favourite browser and i love this Quantum update.
In the past(over 10 years ago) i've tried other browsers like Opera but always returning to Firefox.

The addons i'm using are:

EPUBReader
Duckduckgo Plus
HTTPS Everywhere
Yomichan (obviously Big Grin )
Reddit Enhancement Suite
Tampermonkey
uBlock Origin

I'm waiting for NoScript update and Greasemonkey seems have problems.

And besides, the multi-account containers feature is very useful.
See this thread for Holiday Countdown Deals (until Dec 15th)
JapanesePod101
Tampermonkey : what was the difference with Greasemonkey?

Containers: do you mean this addon ? This seems handy.
I've left firefox recently after sticking with it since it was known as phoenix. It got rid of some extensions that I just didn't want to lose. The faster speed doesn't mean anything to me because I have never seen browser speed as a problem. I've instead switched over to Vivaldi as my main browser now, as it has a some of the functionality I lost built right in as main features. I have had a few issues with video playback now and then, but hopefully that will improve as it's developed further.
(2017-11-17, 12:33 pm)ファブリス Wrote: Tampermonkey : what was the difference with Greasemonkey?

Containers: do you mean this addon ? This seems handy.

Tampermonkey seems to have more features than Greasemonkey but basically they are the same.

yeah, i mean that
Tampermonkey vs. Greasemonkey:
-> Greasemonkey is the original userscript manager, it is open-source and works only on Firefox.
-> Tampermonkey is a clone that works on all major browsers (including Chrome, Safari and IE). It started as open-source but switched to a closed license a few years ago, if that's something that matters to you.
Capability-wise, both are excellent choices to run userscripts.

I have been putting up with FF as my main browser for years just because of one extension: Tree Style Tab, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox...style-tab/ . This extension is worth every single inconvenience of FF: being slow as hell, hogging my RAM like crazy and having some deeply annoying quirks Smile

In case you don't know this extension, it allows you to manage tabs as a tree with collapsible branch, on the left-side of the screen. Highly recommended!

I think they are still in the process of transitioning to FF 57 though. If you still see the tabs in the top bar, you may have to create/edit the userChrome.css file to add:

Code:
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

/* to hide the native tabs */
#TabsToolbar {
   visibility: collapse;
}

/* to hide the sidebar header */
#sidebar-header {
   visibility: collapse;
}
Another interesting difference from Chrome is you can restore closed tabs in a Private window (Ctrl Shift T).

Re: TreeStyleTabs
Saw a discussion about that on HackerNews. It seems people who love this addon tend to have a ton of tabs open, like hundreds...

I don't see the appeal myself. The suggestions are so good in Chrome that I even stopped bookmarking, confident that I can find anything with just a few words, typically just a few letters to open a site I visit frequently.

With Firefox I can see the appeal because the search suggestions are not presented as well in my opinion, and the results are not great. So it kind of misses the mark of providing a reliable ability to go back to anything you've visited before. In particular you can finetune that easily in Chrome by deleting unwanted entries. In Firefox im not sure you can actually delete an entry from the suggestions, even if it isn't a bookmark.. it seems the entry is just moved at the bottom of the ranking but still shows up.. which makes the omnibar suggestions less personal and useful.
I have over a hundred tabs open in Firefox right now, but it's not so much for individual sites I visit frequently, but individual pages that I want to go back to later, and not always frequently (I also have a bookmarks folder for 'check out later' that have about zero priority and are probably just there until I decide to mass delete all my extra bookmarks). For instance, I have eight tabs for different series on ncode.syosetu.com; by having these tabs open, I can do whatever I want with the bookmarks on my phone without having to save which chapter I started on when reading for Tadoku (mobile Firefox starts to crash after about six tabs, so I only have one tab for reading on there).
I also have thirty tabs of YouTube...

Anyway, since I also like to clean my computer files frequently, I have session managers on both Firefox and Chrome. For Firefox, it's Session Manager, for Chrome it's Session Buddy.
The other advantage of using a session manager is that you can horde tabs like mad and yet keep them separated by task. For instance, I have a general browsing session (this one), a shopping session (has thirteen tabs), and a school session in Session Manager. I don't make as good a use of this as I could (I did say that my general browsing session has over 100 tabs), so it's probably about time I split off the various video and reading related tabs into separate sessions.

As a slight aside, Firefox is much kinder about multiple tabs than Chrome. For one, Chrome never transitions the tab bar into a scrollable list, so it's list quickly becomes difficult to read, then becomes a pain to click on, and will eventually overflow (I've done this more than once). It also hogs resources like mad to maintain them all (it keeps all elements active all the time).
Edited: 2017-11-18, 4:15 pm
Lots of useful tweaks

https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx
(2017-11-17, 5:25 pm)Zarxrax Wrote: I've left firefox recently after sticking with it since it was known as phoenix. It got rid of some extensions that I just didn't want to lose. The faster speed doesn't mean anything to me because I have never seen browser speed as a problem. I've instead switched over to Vivaldi as my main browser now, as it has a some of the functionality I lost built right in as main features. I have had a few issues with video playback now and then, but hopefully that will improve as it's developed further.

I tried Vivaldi for a little while. There is also some kind of fork of Firefox called Pale Moon.
Crap it looks like FireFox 57 borked rikaichan on android. None of the other similiar add-ons I looked at (eg. yomichan) support android either. Anyone know a good replacement?
Firefox Quantum is great. Extremely lean and performant while also being more extensible than Chrome even after moving away from the legacy add-on API. It's also the last major browser that is not being developed/controlled by a for-profit organization.
(2017-11-23, 2:53 pm)juniperpansy Wrote: Crap it looks like FireFox 57 borked rikaichan on android. None of the other similiar add-ons I looked at (eg. yomichan) support android either. Anyone know a good replacement?
You'll have to wait for an update, or use a fork until then.
(2017-11-23, 5:10 pm)ryuudou Wrote: Firefox Quantum is great. Extremely lean and performant while also being more extensible than Chrome even after moving away from the legacy add-on API. It's also the last major browser that is not being developed/controlled by a for-profit organization.
Maybe, but I feel they made a bit of a mess of the transition. I never felt "my browser is too slow", but I do now have an Android browser without a rikaichan addon, and a desktop browser I'm stalling on updating until at least one or two addons I care about update -- so for me the 56 to 57 transition has been a pretty bad experience. I understand why they needed to drop the old APIs, but something went wrong in the transition plan to have so many extensions still not switched over when they did the change.
Ok thanks ryuudou I guess I will wait in that case
(2017-11-24, 3:55 am)pm215 Wrote:
(2017-11-23, 5:10 pm)ryuudou Wrote: Firefox Quantum is great. Extremely lean and performant while also being more extensible than Chrome even after moving away from the legacy add-on API. It's also the last major browser that is not being developed/controlled by a for-profit organization.
Maybe, but I feel they made a bit of a mess of the transition. I never felt "my browser is too slow", but I do now have an Android browser without a rikaichan addon, and a desktop browser I'm stalling on updating until at least one or two addons I care about update -- so for me the 56 to 57 transition has been a pretty bad experience. I understand why they needed to drop the old APIs, but something went wrong in the transition plan to have so many extensions still not switched over when they did the change.

Yep, I feel the same way. Didn't even try Quantum yet, too many of my essential addons would get b0rken. I love the increased focus on security (not that they didn't care about it already), with all the Rust and WebExtensions stuff, but the change should have happened right after a long-term support version hit the streets (meaning Quantum should really have been delayed, despite all the pressing reasons Mozilla apparently had to push this so hard onto us), with a window not lesser than two years to allow extension developers to adapt. Mozilla already asked them not long ago to work their asses out to adjust their extensions to Electrolysis. Forcing this new change with a so small timespan and extremely incomplete WebExtension APIs just felt like betrayal to a lot of the extension developers, as if their volunteered work didn't matter at all, when extensions are the almost only selling point of Firefox (if the addons available are pretty much the same, I could very well be using chromium instead).
I don't use "NoScript" so I don't know hw it compares but there is "Script Safe" and "uMatrix" too.

You are probably wondering how Script Safe compares to NoScript or uMatrix. Script Safe has a couple of usability issues, but the WebExtensions version of NoScript has them also. The main issue with ScriptSafe is that while it comes with an auto-reload feature that is enabled by default, that it does not work properly (at least not on the system I tested it on as I had to force refresh the page to get the changes to apply).

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/12/04/script...-controls/
My main issue with Firefox atm is with AZERTY keyboard I can't use the YoUTube shortcuts for Playback Speed. On azerty & Chrome I would press Shift , (comma) and Shift ; (dot comma). I am guessing Firefox has reserved one of these so Speed Down works but Speed Up doesn't.

I don't want to add an extension just for that, as they come with a myriad of things I don't want. But I haven't cracked this in Autohotkey yet. Can't find the correct keycodes and I'm not sure they can get through actually, could be my script is sending the correct keys but Firefox doesn't let them get to the YouTube player anyway.

So FIrefox + Azerty = bad. Bad Firefox. Boo.

ps: this could be solved by remapping the default keyboard shortcuts. Firefox 57 appears to have no such option.
Edited: 2017-12-04, 9:36 am
Is there a way to try the new "Quantum" Chrome clone that Firefox became, side by side with good old and working Firefox, without using a virtual machine?
Yes, you have to create two profiles with the -p startup option. I named them "fox56" and "fox57" to avoid confusion (you can rename existing ones wherever they are saved, and then update the profiles.ini file). Then on Windows one shortcut would be "-p fox56 -no-remote" the other "-p fox57 -no-remote". You'll want to backup first because it's easy to start without the correct parameter first, and v56 will try to update, breaking old extensions and such.

Also in Windows with -p make sure the default profile is v57, and then set default browser to v57. Or v56.. but you have to be careful that in those odd times Windows try to start the browser for a windows update log or whatever, it won't use the extra parameters and would break your v56. Hence, if you point it to v56, make v56 profile the default. If you point it to v57 exe, make that one's profile the default.

Then you shoud be able to open both at the same time.
Edited: 2017-12-04, 5:23 pm
Another option would be a *Portable* version of Firefox 57, so it doesn't interfere with your current profile. Search for it.
Looks like TreeStyleTabs is ported over?

https://hacks.mozilla.org/2017/12/webext...style-tab/