Back

Japanese Manga

Hey, Daniel here. I’m currently living in Japan, and going crazy at the used books stores. Most books are 108¥, which is less than a dollar US. So I am buying as much as I can as I will only be here for probably 2 more months (and someone else pays to move my stuff back).

First question. I need book recommendations. I’ve already picked out the top 15 or so popular ones like ONE PIECE, etc.

Second question. My plan is to look up all the advanced words I don’t know and save them in some format. Some I’ll add to Anki but some I just want the definition saved so I can reread the book without having to look anything up. Before I go and look all these words up, does anyone’s know of this already existing. I’m starting to read one piece and I’m saving the words, definition, page number, etc in excel. At the end of the series my plan is to see how often the words are used so I can see if it is worth memorizing.

Thanks
Square Brackets are my thoughts on the language level, but that's really hard to judge so use your own discretion.

惑星のさみだれ (Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer) [Medium, no furigana] - This is an absolutely great series that I wish was better known. The plot is like a pretty typical shonen/seinen battle manga but it treats that more like a setting in which to explore it's characters.

Claymore [medium, has furigana] - Great setting, plot and characters. The art in the first few volumes is poor but it quickly becomes one of the best looking manga there is. I often see Claymore in slide shows of great manga panels.

Two you probably know about but are definitely worth getting are Vinland Saga and Tokyo Ghoul. They're both pretty difficult though. GANTZ also deserves mentioning because it's super long and easy but doesn't have furigana, which makes it perfect for someone looking to make the jump from shonen to seinen.
I'm not very updated to the newer stuff but I'll suggest some classic manga:

Dragon Ball (do I need to explain)
Dr. Slump (same author as dragon ball, very funny)
Rurouni Kenshin (if you like samurai stuff, supposedly it' s going to get a new saga after many years soon)
Yu Yu Hakusho (old school but good)
Saint Seiya (old school manga but a classic in my country)
Vagabond (excelent)
Love Hina(a very light story about romance and girls, very funny)
Lone Wolf(not sure if this is the English name, a classic)
Evangelion(classic)
Sailor Moon (if you like girly stuff, classic)

Pokemon manga series( I never read it but you might as well get it if you enjoy videogames)
Street Fighter manga series (same as above)
Fly(based on Dragon Quest videogame series)

Now some newer stuff:

Sword Art Online light novel series. (great)
A light novel that I forgot the name but it is something along the lines of:" How to meet girls in a dungeon"
I also highly enjoyed the Baby Steps anime that was cancelled but has a manga version(ongoing I think). It's a very original story about tennis, probably different from everything you've seen.
Edited: 2017-11-07, 8:01 am
Thanksgiving Sale: 30% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS Subscriptions! (Nov 13 - 22)
JapanesePod101
(2017-11-07, 1:44 am)dancc Wrote: I need book recommendations.

となりの吸血鬼さん by 甘党
リューシカ・リューシカ by 安倍吉俊
のんのんびより by あっと
よつばと! by あずまきよひ
スケッチブック by 小箱とたん
すみっこの空さん by たなかのか
by ソウマトウ
ふらいんぐうぃっち by 石塚千尋
苺ましまろ by ばらスィー
ひとりぼっちの○○生活 by カツヲ
三ツ星カラーズ by カツヲ
ゆるゆり by なもり
Aチャンネル by 黒田bb
ひだまりスケッチ by 蒼樹うめ
きんいろモザイク by 原悠衣
ご注文はうさぎですか? by Koi
ごきチャ by るい・たまち
キルミーベイベー by カヅホ
ゆゆ式 by 三上小又
わかば*ガール by 原悠衣
けいおん! by かきふらい

Links for reference.
Thanks for all the recommendations.  A lot of these I have not heard which is exactly what I need.
I dunno if this answers your question and might be kind of shady, but when I buy a Japanese manga, my twin and I take turns writing up an "English script" for the book and print it out and store it in a folder in the bookshelf. So we find some fan scanlation and rewrite it all out split apart by page number/frame and who said what (kind of like a script). My sister can't read Japanese at all, so she can enjoy the book by having the English script open while reading the Japanese comic and I can look at the script if I need to check the translation. o__0; Maybe if you print out your vocab sheets and keep it in a folder it will be of similar effect and you will eventually learn said vocab if you reread the comic enough (keeping a comic under your bed is very tempting).
Only going to say something about some of them, because I'm lazy. Also, I'm trying not to double previous suggestions, though at a glance, the only ones I would have ended up doubling would be 幽遊白書 and 惑星のさみだれ.

スピリットサークル
戦国妖狐

Both of the above are by 水上悟志, same mangaka as 惑星のさみだれ. I'm a big fan.
Both have huge themes of personal development (you know, growing up stories), but they're achieved differently, both do it wonderfully; if you like more action, go for 戦国妖狐 (first). Hands down my favorite shounen mangaka.

ヒナまつり  -  Favorite comedy manga. It's getting an anime in the Spring season too.

サイケまたしても  -  Better than the mangaka's previous works, but probably doesn't have the widest appeal
神のみぞ知るセカイ  -  I can see the ending... Rather, I've already read the ending: it's kinda weird. Fun story though.
夢喰いメリー
オールラウンダー廻  -  Possibly the most accurate martial arts manga to ever exist. It's also fun to read.
Birdmen
僕だけがいない街
僕のヒーローアカデミア  -  Just in case this wasn't included in your list of popular series.
君のナイフ  -  Pretty decent "normal person turned hitman" story
ダンジョン飯  -  Very funny, starts out without much story, but it starts to flesh out beyond the comedy after the first few chapters
メイドインアビス
HE∀DS  -  Or the book it was based off of, 変身 by 東野圭吾
鉄腕バーディー  -  Which version? Who knows at this point.
銀の匙  -  Appreciate your food some more, why don't ya!
The Voynich Hotel  -  If you haven't said WTF while reading before, you need to read some Dowman Sayman (道満晴明). Despite being one of their more tame series, there's still NSFW stuff on occasion, so skip if that's a problem for you.
黒鉄  -  The one by 冬目景

Give me a while and I'm sure to come up with more (that I think I can share here...).

As for studying with any of them... I'd find the one that's at the edge of your tolerance for not knowing and, since this is physical media, keep a notepad handy to write down any unknowns; then you can add them to Anki later (like once a week, or after each reading session, or whatever).

I think it's best to study as you go; don't worry about waiting until the end of the series (good luck doing that with One Piece, you'll be reading that for a long, long time).
Also, in my experience, you'll remember what's useful (or think to put it into Anki) before you finish even one volume, so I don't think keeping frequency data is going to help you much and will probably be more effort than it's worth.
Edited: 2017-11-07, 9:26 pm
All,
Thanks again for all the suggestions. I’m going shopping tonight and I’m going to try to find some of them.

The reason I was asking about vocabulary and stuff is because I don’t believe reading without looking up every word I don’t know helps. And I don’t know a lot of words lol. Also I need to actually know the word to move on to non-furigana books.

An example is ONE PIECE book one which I am reading now. I’m on page 100 and have written down 100 words I didn’t know. So one a page. I have actually read this book probably 3 time. Each time I look up some words but it is a pain to look up every word. I don’t feel like reading it again has improved my vocabulary. I’m thinking I just need to make specific efforts on memorizing words.

Also, some times I can get a word meaning from context. Like the bandit used a smoke grenade, and it was pretty obvious.  But I can’t remember what the word was. And more frustrating is that if I read it without pictures I don’t think I would know it was a smoke grenade. I might have guessed some sort of bomb, which maybe isn’t good enough for reading comprehension.

First world problems lol.
(2017-11-08, 12:50 am)dancc Wrote: An example is ONE PIECE book one which I am reading now. I’m on page 100 and have written down 100 words I didn’t know. So one a page. I have actually read this book probably 3 time. Each time I look up some words but it is a pain to look up every word. I don’t feel like reading it again has improved my vocabulary. I’m thinking I just need to make specific efforts on memorizing words.

Since you're keeping notes of which page they're on, you could later at some point find the volumes digitally or shove the page on a scanner and make the scene itself into an anki card.  I suggest just covering the word you don't know on the front along with a strong keyword and the word itself on the back.

Also this way you can just make a note and move on instead of having to actually look it up during.
Edited: 2017-11-08, 3:38 am
(2017-11-08, 3:37 am)cracky Wrote:
(2017-11-08, 12:50 am)dancc Wrote: An example is ONE PIECE book one which I am reading now. I’m on page 100 and have written down 100 words I didn’t know. So one a page. I have actually read this book probably 3 time. Each time I look up some words but it is a pain to look up every word. I don’t feel like reading it again has improved my vocabulary. I’m thinking I just need to make specific efforts on memorizing words.

Since you're keeping notes of which page they're on, you could later at some point find the volumes digitally or shove the page on a scanner and make the scene itself into an anki card.  I suggest just covering the word you don't know on the front along with a strong keyword and the word itself on the back.

Also this way you can just make a note and move on instead of having to actually look it up during.

Good idea. If I was so inclined, I could just snap a picture with my phone and crop a picture to make a flashcard... not a bad idea, but time consuming. Maybe for some special words Smile
(2017-11-08, 3:41 am)dancc Wrote:
(2017-11-08, 3:37 am)cracky Wrote:

Good idea. If I was so inclined, I could just snap a picture with my phone and crop a picture to make a flashcard... not a bad idea, but time consuming. Maybe for some special words Smile

Maybe instead of making a whole Anki card, you could just take a photo of the comic panel with the vocab you keep forgetting. Then put all the pictures in a folder in your phone's gallery, so when you're bored you can flip through those as if they were flashcards. On my phone, you can even write on pictures, so maybe you could write the definition or reading of the kanji that way.

I found if I'm trying to learn vocab from something, I try to remember it like a script (like read it or listen to it so many times you feel like you know what's coming). So maybe you just keep reviewing the 1st chapter until you remember almost all of the words, then move on to the 2nd chapter. After memorizing most of the 2nd chapter, go back and reread chapter 1 and 2 then start on chapter 3.
(2017-11-08, 3:41 am)dancc Wrote: Good idea. If I was so inclined, I could just snap a picture with my phone and crop a picture to make a flashcard... not a bad idea, but time consuming. Maybe for some special words Smile

Yeah the idea is to save you time in the long run though with anki scheduling. You invest a little time upfront for saving time in the future. Photos with your phone should work fine if they're clear enough.

Either way enjoy the manga, there's a lot of good stuff out there.