Back

Off off off topic fashion question for the guys...

(Sorry ladies).

When you're out wearing casual pants do you carry your wallet in your front pocket or your back pocket?  I see both, but it seems the front pocket is more common.

(I did say this was off topic).

Oh--and is there a difference in this between Japan vs. the US?
I do front pocket but not because of fashion but because I am paranoid about losing it or getting it stolen in my back pocket.

I haven't noticed a lot about where Japanese guys tend to keep their wallets, but one fairly big difference is that long wallets are more common here. Their main benefit is that they don't fold your bills.

A Google image search of メンズ 財布 gives an idea of whats popular here: https://goo.gl/o5rvqB

Finally, here is a whole matome of what women (supposedly) think about men's wallets: 
https://matome.naver.jp/odai/2143869815779388901
I usually wear cargo pants, so I keep it in one of the leg pockets. Harder to take without me noticing and it stays out of my way. Like tokyostyle, it's really not a fashion consideration for me (I'm wearing cargo pants, so why would I care about fashion, lol).

Even when I'm wearing slacks, I don't put it in my back pocket; too uncomfortable (and apparently really bad for your back).

So is the long wallet thing because they don't want to make the bills wear out faster from folding them, or what? With that kind of size, I'd rather carry a coin purse and just put up with carrying nothing larger than 500円.
Thanksgiving Sale: 30% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS Subscriptions! (Nov 13 - 22)
JapanesePod101
I see a lot of guys here with huge ass wallets poking out of their back pocket. It's really confusing... what do you do when you have to sit down?

Front pocket here.

Sholum: oddly enough the only time I had something stolen was when I kept things in my cargo pants' side pocket. You don't really feel it as well as you'd think.
Front left pocket: cell phone (because uncomfortable and chance of breaking in back pocket)
Front right pocket: keys (because uncomfortable in back pocket0
Right rear pocket: wallet (because no room in front pockets & habit)

Generally I keep my wallet pretty minimal and use a bi-fold so it's not too noticeable.
As an American I don't see many people with wallets in their back pocket, mostly older guys like my dad seem to do it when wearing jeans. I always keep it in my front pocket with my keys. Throughout my numerous trips to Japan I've been appalled to see (mostly teens or young adults) with an expensive designer wallet that sticks halfway out of their back pocket.

Honestly it's ridiculous that Japanese guys do this because not only can someone just snatch it right out of your back pocket, it's a $200-300+ designer wallet that screams steal me.
(2017-10-27, 12:37 am)sholum Wrote: So is the long wallet thing because they don't want to make the bills wear out faster from folding them, or what?

This is just my opinion based on my experiences here so take it with a grain of salt. I remember when I first came I was wondering if I should care about the bill folding thing but 13+ years later I still use a bifold wallet. I have received bifold wallets as a gift twice from Japanese girls and to my recollection no one has ever really mentioned it at all. I had one guy friend who suggested I get a long LV wallet, but that was more about fashion and style.

So my understanding is that traditionally folding bills is low class but I think these days there are very few people left who actually care. So making the decision based on fashion or just appearance in general is more important BUT of course one part of keeping up appearance is not folding your bills.

Ultimately it doesn't seem to be anything to worry about. The only exception is when you give a wedding gift. It's still considered extremely bad manners to gift folded bills. (Ideally they should be "new" bills as well.)
Quote:Honestly it's ridiculous that Japanese guys do this because not only can someone just snatch it right out of your back pocket, it's a $200-300+ designer wallet that screams steal me.
It happens, but if stealing those huge wallets were a common problem, it wouldn't be a fashion trend. They'd better put that habit away as soon as they visit another country.
Edited: 2017-10-30, 12:16 pm
(2017-10-27, 4:43 pm)TheVinster Wrote: As an American I don't see many people with wallets in their back pocket, mostly older guys like my dad seem to do it when wearing jeans. I always keep it in my front pocket with my keys. Throughout my numerous trips to Japan I've been appalled to see (mostly teens or young adults) with an expensive designer wallet that sticks halfway out of their back pocket.

Honestly it's ridiculous that Japanese guys do this because not only can someone just snatch it right out of your back pocket, it's a $200-300+ designer wallet that screams steal me.

They also pop out of your pocket when you're sitting down.
When I'm not wearing any sort of bag or backpack I usually only carry stuff in the leg pockets(in front). I would love to not need to carry any form of bag when going out for example but I think that carrying stuff in whatever pocket it might be is never safe and it's too unconfortable, I do feel weird about carrying bags when going to the mall or cinema though.

Obviously back pockets are the worst and I never use them, I don't know how people can bear the discomfort and risk of losing important stuff
Edited: 2017-11-07, 8:30 am
I'm a lady in Scotland, who wears fleece jackets with a zip pocket on each side near the hips, and I put most of my pocket stuff in there. On days requiring formal dress or the rare day when it's too hot, I don't like the alternatives at all ;)