Back

[Kanji Koohii] Suggestions for maximum review time on Koohii SRS

Looks great! Very clear.

As for multipliers, maybe 1.1 => 4? That should be enough so that somebody restarting can quickly get their cards to a high delay and make sure that correct answers continue to grow delays.

[Edit: Actually, 1.1 would grow 3 days to 3 days, which doesn't make sense. Maybe force each bucket to be at least a day more than the preceding one. Alternatively, moving the bottom of the range to 1.35 would solve it.]
Edited: 2017-11-16, 10:45 pm
@mspertus

I used the same approach as hornlo's Perl script (before last post). So Math.ceil() rounds 3.xxx to 4.
Edited: 2017-11-17, 8:27 am
I put in SRS Multiplier from 1.30 to 4.00 in 0.05 steps.

I'll also update the code to compute variance based on the custom intervals. I'll try 0.15 as in hornlo's example.
See this thread for Holiday Countdown Deals (until Dec 15th)
JapanesePod101
I am using a variance factor of 0.15 as in hornlo's example. With ceil() this usually starts with +/- 1 day for the first interval. But with 10+ boxes this can increase to hundreds of days. (previously variance was hardcoded as 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, 15, 30).

For very long intervals, the goal is to reduce the review load without having to freeze cards. So I think a variance that spreads reviews over hundreds of days, that's not helpful. This isn't necessary, since we just want to spread cards reviewed on a single day, so they don't all fall on one date.

Let me know if you think this variance should be smaller / greater.
Edited: 2017-11-21, 11:19 am
Hi Fabrice,
I think a wide spread is good. If it takes me 6 months to initially learn all of the kanji, I'd still like them to end up roughly uniformly distributed in the final bucket, rather than a bunch of reviewing followed by a gap with no reviews.

Mike
(2017-11-21, 11:16 am)ファブリス Wrote: [...] So I think a variance that spreads reviews over hundreds of days, that's not helpful. [...]

I originally tried using an algorithmic reduction in variance based on box number, but nothing I tried worked well, so I left that out.

On further thought, I think simply setting a cap on variance would be sufficient, say

Var = Nominal * VarFactor
    Var = min(Var,Cap) if Cap

where a cap of zero means no cap

for box 10, with 0 cap, you get
    box 10: 1919 (1631 .. 2206) -- a 575 day range
for cap of 50, you get
    box 10: 1919 (1869 .. 1969) -- a 100 day range

for a cap of 15, you get a 1-month range, etc.
It's live.  https://kanji.koohii.com/account/spacedrepetition

Report any issues or suggestions here, or Github Issue : SRS : configurable Leitner box intervals #102

Learn More page "Scheduling" section updated with the new settings.
(2017-11-27, 12:37 pm)ファブリス Wrote: It's live.  https://kanji.koohii.com/account/spacedrepetition

Report any issues or suggestions here, or Github Issue : SRS : configurable Leitner box intervals #102

Learn More page "Scheduling" section updated with the new settings.

Woohoo! Customized my settings already Smile
Realized a minor (display) bug: if you reduce number of boxes from say 7 to 5 the SRS chart still shows 7 boxes. That's because the cards are not affected until you review again at which point their box is "clamped" down to the current max. While this will fix itself as the cards over the box limit are "clamped" down, I should probably fix the graph to display the same amount of box as chosen in settings (and accrue remaining cards above the limit into the last displayed box).
Thank you Fabrice!  Thank you so much for not imposing ten bins on everyone, and for adding extra flexibility on top of the old default.
I noticed I no longer have a 7+ box in the display. I didn't change any settings. Is that intentional?

(I don't have any cards in the 7+ box currently, if that matters.)
I'm going to look at a way of displaying 8 to 10 boxes (11 counting the New & Failed piles) if there is sufficient space, so mostly tablets and desktop.

I initially canned this because it's a headache updating based on device orientation. But this is a case where maybe it's just "good enough" if it adapts to the display size on page load.

So on mobile, if you use 10 boxes, and you load the page in landscape mode, you'd see all the boxes, if you load page in portrait, you'd see the 7+ box accuring all cards from box 7+ as it currently does.
(2017-11-27, 5:06 pm)mercury Wrote: Thank you Fabrice!  Thank you so much for not imposing ten bins on everyone, and for adding extra flexibility on top of the old default.

Yes, thank you. I hope the service will still be up in several years when these boxes apply to my cards.

I am one of the Patreon sponsors, anyone reading this, please support Kanji Koohii if you can.
(2017-11-30, 12:15 pm)ファブリス Wrote: I'm going to look at a way of displaying 8 to 10 boxes (11 counting the New & Failed piles) if there is sufficient space, so mostly tablets and desktop.

I initially canned this because it's a headache updating based on device orientation. But this is a case where maybe it's just "good enough" if it adapts to the display size on page load.

So on mobile, if you use 10 boxes, and you load the page in landscape mode, you'd see all the boxes, if you load page in portrait, you'd see the 7+ box accuring all cards from box 7+ as it currently does.

But currently, even the 7+ box does not appear (see previous post). This is on desktop, if that matters. The last box showing is 6+. Before the update, the 7+ box was showing fine.
@Shvegait

You most likely have no cards there.

I will also fix showing a minimum of boxes (7 by default, or 5 if set lower) so it's less confusing.
(2017-11-30, 12:15 pm)ファブリス Wrote: I'm going to look at a way of displaying 8 to 10 boxes (11 counting the New & Failed piles) if there is sufficient space, so mostly tablets and desktop.

My desktop is a 43" 3840x2160 screen, so this would be great!
Here is a more detailed update of recent changes; including today:

New SRS Settings in Account Settings > Spaced Repetition:
  • Number of boxes corresponds to the intervals for positive reviews and what the maximum interval will be
  • Review interval multiplier determines the spacing between reviews (in days)
  • Maximum box for cards marked 'Hard' determines the maximum interval for a Hard answer
Also
  • Builtin variance ("fuzziness") to spread due cards of 0.15 of the box's interval
  • Variance limit of 30 days (so fuzziness is never greater than -30 to +30 days for very long intervals)

Notable fixes / changes

• Cards in box "2+" with Hard answer incorrectly received the 1 day interval, now they receive box 1+ interval (~3 days). Expected behaviour : only NEW cards and due cards already in box 1+ go to box 1+ with 1 day interval.
  • Easy interval is rounded up, which affects the lower intervals so 3 days (1+ review) * 1.5 is now 5 days instead of 4
Fixes
  • If using less than 7 intervals, the chart will stretch a bit and show less boxes
  • If using more than 7 intervals, the chart will display the additional boxes if there is enough space ( > 500px) so typically desktop, tablet or landscape (if you change orientation on mobile from eg. portrait > landscape, you'll need to reload the page to see the extra boxes)
  • When higher boxes are empty, they are shown empty (they weren't displayed last few days, which can be confusing)
Tips
  • Anwering "Hard" instead of "Yes" on new cards gives them a fixed 1 day interval, which you can repeat indefinitely as Hard cards never fall back to the Restudy pile
KNOWN Issues
  • Clicking the last due pile in the chart doesn't work as expected. It will get due cards from the box exactly (eg. box 7, on default).. however the last displayed box accrues all cards from the boxes above. Solution: use the button above, or review the lower due piles first, and then the button above will be the remaining cards from the higher piles.
F.A.Q / Non obvious

Q: What happens to my cards after I change "max box" setting?

A: Cards are not affected until reviewing. When reviewing, a card's box will be "clamped" to the current max box setting if it is already at or above the max box setting (and you answered Hard, Yes or Easy).  Any existing cards that are over the current max box setting, are bunched together in the last displayed box on the SRS chart. The last visible box on the SRS chart always counts all the cards in that box and higher.

Q: How do you get cards you don't know to come up quickly, like in Anki?

A: Koohii SRS isn't an all purpose SRS like Anki. Koohii is designed for learning the kanji with mnemonics so it has built in assumptions that you form the first memory with the aid of mnemonics (ie. stories).. For that reason the minimal interval is 1 day (the default is actually 2-4 days). It is possible to indefinitely repeat cards over 1 day if you keep answering "Hard" to new cards. To do more repetitions in a given day, you'd want to use the "free" (non SRS) reviews in Review > Kanji Review.
Edited: 2017-12-02, 12:39 pm
The Site was updated yesterday with a small patch from deu on Github.

This should (difficult for me to test) fix the Spaced Repetition Settings page on IE11 and likely old browsers.
Thanks for the hard work, Fabrice!

I find specially useful the new option for setting a destination box for cards evaluated as "hard". I wonder, though, why are they counted as "wrong" when reviewing?

Also, all boxes are labeled as "1+", "2+", and so on, when I understand only the last visible box should have the "+".

The new setting I'm using now will save me lots of reviews in the future. Thank you!
(2017-12-05, 11:56 pm)Sebastian Wrote: I find specially useful the new option for setting a destination box for cards evaluated as "hard". I wonder, though, why are they counted as "wrong" when reviewing?

Hmm.. I guess so that Yes is more meaningful... I'm not sure it's worth creating an option for that or whether it's worth changing at this point.

(2017-12-05, 11:56 pm)Sebastian Wrote: Also, all boxes are labeled as "1+", "2+", and so on, when I understand only the last visible box should have the "+".

Indeed I was thinking about that the other day. It is a bit more intuitive to put the "+" on the last box. LIVE site has just been updated.
(2017-12-06, 12:26 pm)ファブリス Wrote:
(2017-12-05, 11:56 pm)Sebastian Wrote: I find specially useful the new option for setting a destination box for cards evaluated as "hard". I wonder, though, why are they counted as "wrong" when reviewing?

Hmm.. I guess so that Yes is more meaningful... I'm not sure it's worth creating an option for that or whether it's worth changing at this point.
I would definitely like this change. I always wondered the same thing.
Thanks,
Mike
Let's say I have time for only one of these two features, which would you like to see first:
  • (A)  ability to tag 1-3 vocab to the flashcard (from the Dictionary popup), ie. replaces "example vocab" with your own
    picks

• (B)  ability to click and edit a note, similar to edit story, in the flashcard, editable from Review and Study pages. Would probably use Markdown syntax for light formatting
Not making any promises. I'm just brainstorming how these would work.

I must state upfront that I intend to make that a Patron "perk" to encourage more people to support Koohii (ie. you have to be a current supporter). It also is less of a headache for me then, as I don't have to worry about the database inflating suddenly, and I don't have to worry too much about performance as this will be fraction of users.

I'm leaning towards (B) myself because 1) if I never get to implement A, you can put any vocab you want in there. and 2) it's useful even fi you don't use the SRS as you get another area on the Study page, for private notes (so you can both share a story, and add notes to yourself)
Edited: 2017-12-13, 11:06 am
On further thought I think I'll got for (A) the ability to tag vocabulary to cards. this takes considerably less space, and is less of a headache for now.

Also this is closer to the meaning of a "perk", in that all users could tag 1-2 words per card, and patrons could maybe tag up to 5 words, say. (I could have no limit to but it wouldn't make much sense as you'd have to scroll through all the words on the flashcards so I imagine the ideal number is 2-3 ish.