Back

The Japanese Donald Trump?

(2017-11-02, 8:49 pm)sholum Wrote: RE: fake news chart
Stick the Guardian at least one line over on the left in your mind. It's certainly in-depth, but the second anything touches politics, they're at least as left as MSNBC, if not more.

Also, BBC sucks for anything that's not pure facts. If it's an op-ed or commentary, it will be significantly biased to the left.

I don't think that Breitbart is as bad as Infowars; Infowars is flat out conspiracy (but the frogs actually are being turned gay... or infertile, or female), while Breitbart is clickbait with a heavily right-wing bias.
That might just be a scale problem though (people naturally use logarithmic scales).

Other than that, fairly on point from my experience (don't know much about either of the extremes).

This counts as a quick post, I promise! Back to being gone now!
Hmm, since you seem to be knowledgeable about conservative news sites, do you know of any sites like The Atlantic, but with a conservative bent? By "like The Atlantic" I mean well-written, thought out articles about current news topics. I'm progressive/left-leaning but I read Fox News every once in a while to see what conservative people are reading, and also because I think it's important to examine and challenge my beliefs fairly regularly. The problem is that Fox News is a bit too sensationalistic for me, and so it would be neat if there was a conservative site closer in style to the sites I normally read. I haven't really found something close yet.

(2017-11-03, 3:23 pm)yogert909 Wrote:
(2017-11-02, 7:04 pm)Bokusenou Wrote: I think Phil might need to look at the fake news chart. It's not perfect, and kind of US-centric, but it does a pretty good job of showing which news sources are fairly reputable, and also good to use when trying to convince someone who doesn't share your political leanings of something, aka, don't use Breitbart, Fox News, or Fox News commentators, among other things.

It's important to make a distinction between factual reporting and biased reporting.  Far left or right publications are much less of a problem than these click-bait fake news sites which seem to be drowning out actual factual reporting these days.  I like sites like politifact, factcheck, and mediabiasfactcehck for getting an idea how much I can trust a publication's claims.  But there's nothing better than primary sources if something seems funny about a claim.  Another thing to note is newspapers do not typically have fact-checking desks, but rely on their writers to fact-check themselves.  Most respectable news magazines do have fact-checkers who vet every fact before publication.

I also think it is important not to search for the most 'centrist" publication (because that's subjective), but to read publications from across the spectrum as long as the level of journalistic integrity is high.

Ah, yes! Good point & great links! The main reason I linked that chart was to try and point out to Phil that if he's going to try to convince people of something (a fairly rare feat on the internet, as far as I can tell), using news sources which are more centrist than he seems to visit will have a higher chance of being convincing to people who don't share his political leanings. Not that he has a great chance of convincing someone like me that Abe is like Trump, but if the news source was less right-wing and seemed to have higher quality standards I might have been inclined to possibly read the article fully instead of skimming it.
@Bokusenou
No, I unfortunately don't know much about conservative news sources. The only reason I know about Breitbart and Infowars is because the latter is a meme machine (well, Alex Jones is a meme machine, the rest of them are just there) and the former is where a certain provocateur used to work. Point being, I've been exposed to both of them because of the Internet, not because I was looking for a good source of conservative-bent news.

I had an opinion on the Guardian and the BBC because of past experience looking things up. Doesn't mean they're bad at reporting facts, when that's what they're reporting (that's why I only said their opinion pieces are heavily biased to the left), but it's something that people need to keep in mind when referencing them.
@Sholum Ah, ok. Nevermind then.
Thanksgiving Sale: 30% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS Subscriptions! (Nov 13 - 22)
JapanesePod101
(2017-11-04, 12:33 am)Bokusenou Wrote: Hmm, since you seem to be knowledgeable about conservative news sites, do you know of any sites like The Atlantic, but with a conservative bent?
There aren't many of these I don't think. I think there are way more conservative radio shows. There is the TheBlaze, founded by Glenn Beck. I don't know if his stuff is in crazy land or not, he use to be pretty out there while he was on Fox News. There is also Ben Shapiro's radio/youtube show; he use to be at Breitbart. Shapiro isn't too bad considering the rest of the conservative sphere, but he quite often perpetuates a "us vs them" mentality which he attacks the left for doing.
(2017-11-04, 11:58 pm)vix86 Wrote:
(2017-11-04, 12:33 am)Bokusenou Wrote: Hmm, since you seem to be knowledgeable about conservative news sites, do you know of any sites like The Atlantic, but with a conservative bent?
There aren't many of these I don't think. I think there are way more conservative radio shows. There is the TheBlaze, founded by Glenn Beck. I don't know if his stuff is in crazy land or not, he use to be pretty out there while he was on Fox News. There is also Ben Shapiro's radio/youtube show; he use to be at Breitbart. Shapiro isn't too bad considering the rest of the conservative sphere, but he quite often perpetuates a "us vs them" mentality which he attacks the left for doing.

Sean Hannity of Fox News is very good.  Also you could give Tucker Carlson a try.  You might like Rush Limbaugh.  I don't like Glenn Beck.

"The Five" on Fox News is often entertaining. It's a panel discussion of five people, at least one of whom is liberal:

Kimberly Guilfoyle
Juan Williams
Jesse Waters
Dana Perino
Greg Gutfeld

Meanwhile over in Japan, Trump and Abe seem to be hitting it off well:

"Eager to forge a bond with Tokyo's crucial ally, Abe was one of the first world leaders to court President-elect Trump. He was the first to call Trump after the election, and rushed to New York days later to meet the president-elect and present him with a pricey, gold Honma golf driver.

The two men also met on the sidelines of an international summit in Italy this spring and White House officials said Trump has spoken with Abe by phone more than any world leader, aside from British Prime Minister Theresa May.

That bond was clear Sunday, as Trump and Abe exchanged glowing tweets about their game. Trump dubbed Abe and pro golfer Hideki Matsuyama -- who accompanied the two leaders -- as "wonderful people," while Abe called it a "round of golf with a marvelous friend."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/11/...iance.html
Edited: 2017-11-05, 9:51 am
(2017-11-05, 7:13 am)phil321 Wrote: Sean Hannity of Fox News is very good.  Also you could give Tucker Carlson a try.  You might like Rush Limbaugh.  I don't like Glenn Beck.

"The Five" on Fox News is often entertaining.  It's a panel discussion of five people, at least one of whom is liberal:

Kimberly Guilfoyle
Juan Williams
Jesse Waters
Dana Perino
Greg Gutfeld

Most fact checkers give fox news a "mixed" rating on truthfullness.  I've fact checked the fact checkers a number of times and can't say fox news is trustworthy.  "Fair and balanced" seems a lot like the word "republic" in the names of dictatorships -  not many(any) true republics feel the need to state it in the name of the country..

Generally, TV news is fairly low quality across the board.  And Fox news is pretty bad on an already low scale.  You mentioned entertainment and that's fine if you realize most of what they say is "inspired by a true story" and not actually...um...accurate.
(2017-11-07, 4:43 pm)yogert909 Wrote:
(2017-11-05, 7:13 am)phil321 Wrote: Sean Hannity of Fox News is very good.  Also you could give Tucker Carlson a try.  You might like Rush Limbaugh.  I don't like Glenn Beck.

"The Five" on Fox News is often entertaining.  It's a panel discussion of five people, at least one of whom is liberal:

Kimberly Guilfoyle
Juan Williams
Jesse Waters
Dana Perino
Greg Gutfeld

Most fact checkers give fox news a "mixed" rating on truthfullness.  I've fact checked the fact checkers a number of times and can't say fox news is trustworthy.  "Fair and balanced" seems a lot like the word "republic" in the names of dictatorships -  not many(any) true republics feel the need to state it in the name of the country..

Generally, TV news is fairly low quality across the board.  And Fox news is pretty bad on an already low scale.  You mentioned entertainment and that's fine if you realize most of what they say is "inspired by a true story" and not actually...um...accurate.

I miss Megyn Kelly's show on Fox News...I used to enjoy listening to her verbally rip apart her left-wing guests.  They were no match for Ms. Kelly's keen intellect.  On the other hand I didn't appreciate what she tried to do to Donald Trump in that debate.
Never mind.
Edited: 2017-11-08, 3:35 pm
The people I would recommend are Catherine Herridge (Fox News) and Chuck Ross (Daily Caller). I've been following their work for about the last 18 months as they've published extensive original reporting about the various criminal allegations against Hillary Clinton (and her team) and the Trump campaign.

For a general news source, consider Christian Science Monitor.

Broadcast media is generally a waste of time. For news shows and talk radio, remove the advertising and repetitive content and you're left with only a few minutes an hour of substantial material.

Finally, note that there are [EDIT] at lease several [/EDIT] sealed indictments at the District of Columbia federal court.
Edited: 2017-11-09, 2:05 pm
phil321 Wrote:I miss Megyn Kelly's show on Fox News...I used to enjoy listening to her verbally rip apart her left-wing guests.  They were no match for Ms. Kelly's keen intellect.  On the other hand I didn't appreciate what she tried to do to Donald Trump in that debate.

Lol, are you serious?

Bokusenou

"Hmm, since you seem to be knowledgeable about conservative news sites, do you know of any sites like The Atlantic, but with a conservative bent? By "like The Atlantic" I mean well-written, thought out articles about current news topics. I'm progressive/left-leaning but I read Fox News every once in a while to see what conservative people are reading, and also because I think it's important to examine and challenge my beliefs fairly regularly. The problem is that Fox News is a bit too sensationalistic for me, and so it would be neat if there was a conservative site closer in style to the sites I normally read. I haven't really found something close yet."

@boku

Try Wall Street Journal or Redstate. Redstate used to have this guy who I really respect as a conservative even though I often don't agree with him (Leon Wolf). He's at the blaze now (Glenn Beck's site), which is overall garbage but he's very good. Here's a very fair and balanced piece from Leon Wolf.

https://www.redstate.com/leon_h_wolf/201...oj-report/
Edited: 2017-11-09, 10:15 am
(2017-11-09, 10:10 am)sokino Wrote:
phil321 Wrote:I miss Megyn Kelly's show on Fox News...I used to enjoy listening to her verbally rip apart her left-wing guests.  They were no match for Ms. Kelly's keen intellect.  On the other hand I didn't appreciate what she tried to do to Donald Trump in that debate.

Lol, are you serious?

Yup.
(2017-11-09, 10:10 am)sokino Wrote: Try Wall Street Journal or Redstate. Redstate used to have this guy who I really respect as a conservative even though I often don't agree with him (Leon Wolf). He's at the blaze now (Glenn Beck's site), which is overall garbage but he's very good. Here's a very fair and balanced piece from Leon Wolf.

Thanks for this sokino!  I have been searching for thoughtful journalism on the conservative side for several years.  I like this guy's writing.  He clearly cares about digging out the actual truth.  My only criticism is that the tone isn't simply reporting the news, but had a strongly persuasive tone.  Which is fine is it's an opinion piece but the subject seemed more like investigative journalism.  I'll definitely read up on some more of Leon Wolf's pieces.  

How do you feel about redstate.com in particular?  I browsed a few of their recent articles and I wasn't impressed.  Generally the articles I clicked seemed to read like partisan cheer leading rather than honestly digging for truth, but maybe there's better stuff than the pieces I clicked on.  

Do you have any other journalists or news sources you can recommend?
Edited: 2017-11-09, 6:18 pm
(2017-11-09, 4:51 pm)yogert909 Wrote:
(2017-11-09, 10:10 am)sokino Wrote: Try Wall Street Journal or Redstate. Redstate used to have this guy who I really respect as a conservative even though I often don't agree with him (Leon Wolf). He's at the blaze now (Glenn Beck's site), which is overall garbage but he's very good. Here's a very fair and balanced piece from Leon Wolf.

Thanks for this sokino!  I have been searching for thoughtful journalism on the conservative side for several years.  I like this guy's writing.  He clearly cares about digging out the actual truth.  My only criticism is that the tone isn't simply reporting the news, but had a strongly persuasive tone.  Which is fine is it's an opinion piece but the subject seemed more like investigative journalism.  I'll definitely read up on some more of Leon Wolf's pieces. 

How do you feel about redstate.com in particular?  I browsed a few of their recent articles and I wasn't impressed.  Generally the articles I clicked seemed to read like partisan cheer leading rather than honestly digging for truth, but maybe there's better stuff than the pieces I clicked on.  

Do you have any other journalists or news sources you can recommend?

WRT to Leon Wolf: I don't mind his persuasive tone  it is indeed back up by solid facts and thoughtful, measured (not necessarily right) commentary. But yeah, he's definitely been one of my go to conservative writers for a while (to make it clear, I'm actually fairly far left but I do try to keep up with the best of the other side.)

Re: redstate, tbh, I haven't really followed it since Leon Wolf left. I know that it seemed pretty good back when he was helming the site but once he left, I left. I can't really speak to the quality of it right now, but it wouldn't surprise me if it has turned into a run of the mill, low effort, conservative site.

As far as thoughtful conservative commentary the only sites I know of are Wall Street Journal, The Federalist, and National Review. I think those are the best that I have found. If you had to only pick one I'd say go with National Review.

@phil, lol. Megyn "Jesus and Santa are white" Kelly wasn't destroying any one back on her show on Fox.
Edited: 2017-11-10, 12:22 am
(2017-11-05, 7:13 am)phil321 Wrote:
(2017-11-04, 11:58 pm)vix86 Wrote:

Sean Hannity of Fox News is very good.  Also you could give Tucker Carlson a try.  You might like Rush Limbaugh. 
Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson are absolute trash if you're looking for a lack of sensationalism and bias. They're both 12/10 on the right-wing scale (extremist territory even by Republican standards), put party over country, and will lie through their teeth about anything and everything to push the current Fox agenda.
Quote:"The Five" on Fox News is often entertaining. It's a panel discussion of five people, at least one of whom is liberal
The "liberals" permitted to come on Fox are almost always staged in advance as a convenient tool to repeat or help promote the current agenda while being someone who is "not them" to add credibility. If you prove them wrong you're obviously not allowed on the show.
Edited: 2017-11-10, 8:07 am
(2017-11-10, 12:19 am)sokino Wrote: Re: redstate, tbh, I haven't really followed it since Leon Wolf left. I know that it seemed pretty good back when he was helming the site but once he left, I left. I can't really speak to the quality of it right now, but it wouldn't surprise me if it has turned into a run of the mill, low effort, conservative site.
Don't bother.  I read a few more articles there and it wasn't hard to find a lot of outright lies since they helpfully linked the sources that they were quoting.  In one article, they mis-attribute a quote to bill nye which was actually spoken by the interviewer.  The mis-attributed quote actually made the headline "Bill Nye says climate deniers should be jailed."  This just goes to show how little they think of their readership that they know nobody will actually click the link and realize the writer got it wrong.
(2017-11-10, 12:19 am)sokino Wrote: As far as thoughtful conservative commentary the only sites I know of are Wall Street Journal, The Federalist, and National Review. I think those are the best that I have found.  If you had to only pick one I'd say go with National Review.

I've read a bit of the National Review.  Maybe I'll look again.  The articles I read a few years ago seemed too opinionated with very little factual information.  Again, it could've been the articles I clicked on.

So far the best I've found are David Brooks and the economist Greg Mankiew who was chair of George W's council of economic advisers.  Unfortunately, since they both frequently write for the Times, I'm not sure I'm getting mainstream conservative thought.

One thing I've been meaning to check out are reports from conservative think tanks such as Heritage, Cato, and the American Enterprise Institution.  So far I haven't, but if I have time today i'll take a dive and see what I find.
(2017-11-10, 7:55 am)ryuudou Wrote: Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson are absolute trash if you're looking for a lack of sensationalism and bias. They're both 12/10 on the right-wing scale (extremist territory even by Republican standards), put party over country, and will lie through their teeth about anything and everything to push the current Fox agenda.
Quote:"The Five" on Fox News is often entertaining.  It's a panel discussion of five people, at least one of whom is liberal
The "liberals" permitted to come on Fox are almost always staged in advance as a convenient tool to repeat or help promote the current agenda while being someone who is "not them" to add credibility. If you prove them wrong you're obviously not allowed on the show.

You're totally wrong about Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson.  Try watching them before spouting off.