Back

Looking for feedback on my site about Japanese words / kanji history

Hi there!

My name is Romy and I am a Japanese teacher living in the USA.  I recently created a website with my husband about interesting Japanese words, their connotations, and their historical backgrounds.  Some Japanese words have very fun stories behind them, and I found that my students enjoyed learning these because the stories help them learn the words faster.  The website address is https://www.romysensei.com (please let me know if it does not work for you!)

I am posting here because we created this first version of our website and we are wondering what people would like to see on our site.  Do you think this site is interesting for Japanese students?  Is there anything you would like to change? Also, when you study words and kanji, what kinds of information are you looking for?

Any feedback is appreciated!  Thank you!
Hi romy!
I think your site is great, instant fav ^^. Can't wait to see it grows.
Design is great and mobile-friendly.
Having a short definition alongside the detailed story is a very nice touch. Exemple sentences are a must.
I like the idea of focusing on words which you cannot guess their meaning just by looking at their kanji.
Besides that I have nothing much to add. Maybe that it would be nice to have a way to display only words containing a same kanji so it would be easier to lookup for compounds.

When studying vocab, I mostly struggle with synonyms. I don't know if there is a better way to tell when to use such word or another besides looking at their kanji, exemple sentences or their japanese definition. When you look at a translation, you often end up with the same exact word...which sometimes doesn't make sense... like 展覧会・博覧会 or all the words meaning conference/meeting...

anyway good luck with your website!
Edited: 2017-10-16, 6:38 pm
(2017-10-16, 6:36 pm)pied2porc Wrote: Hi romy!
I think your site is great, instant fav ^^. Can't wait to see it grows.
Design is great and mobile-friendly.
Having a short definition alongside the detailed story is a very nice touch. Exemple sentences are a must.
I like the idea of focusing on words which you cannot guess their meaning just by looking at their kanji.
Besides that I have nothing much to add. Maybe that it would be nice to have a way to display only words containing a same kanji so it would be easier to lookup for compounds.

When studying vocab, I mostly struggle with synonyms. I don't know if there is a better way to tell when to use such word or another besides looking at their kanji, exemple sentences or their japanese definition. When you look at a translation, you often end up with the same exact word...which sometimes doesn't make sense... like 展覧会・博覧会 or all the words meaning conference/meeting...

anyway good luck with your website!

Oh having a way to look up words containing a same kanji is a great idea!  Thank you for that!!

Also, my students struggle with synonyms. I also have the same problem with English. I wonder if it would be good to maybe include a clear "connotation" explanation and a "related words" on the definition page.  I would like my site to not be a dictionary, but instead to explain more about the word feelings and usage.  I think that would make it unique and very helpful to Japanese learners.
Thanksgiving Sale: 30% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS Subscriptions! (Nov 13 - 22)
JapanesePod101
Looks great! The only small suggestion I might make is to maybe have furigana for the words listed on the first page. I know you show the reading when you click on a word & go to its page, but it might make the site look less imposing for intermediate learners if it had furigana on the main page, unless your target audience is beginners that is, then romaji might work better, despite my general dislike of it as a learning tool.
Overall, awesome job!
(2017-10-16, 8:52 pm)Bokusenou Wrote: Looks great! The only small suggestion I might make is to maybe have furigana for the words listed on the first page. I know you show the reading when you click on a word & go to its page, but it might make the site look less imposing for intermediate learners if it had furigana on the main page, unless your target audience is beginners that is, then romaji might work better, despite my general dislike of it as a learning tool.
Overall, awesome job!

Yes!  We will add furigana for sure.  Our target audience I think will be intermediate to advanced.  But I hope beginners can find it interesting too because the definitions and meanings are all written in english.
Great stuff! It would be nice if you could add an option where I would get an email with every post ... or something like that. It's going to be tough for me to remember to visit the site every day....

Good luck!
Nice to hear! Any plans to add an RSS feed? If you do I'll likely follow it, since even as an advanced learner there are still a couple words I haven't come across before.^-^
(2017-10-25, 11:53 am)hooroosha Wrote: Great stuff! It would be nice if you could add an option where I would get an email with every post ... or something like that. It's going to be tough for me to remember to visit the site every day....

Good luck!

Yes! We added this very recently, you can sign up for the updates at the bottom of a page with a word on it.  We will soon make it easier to find!

(2017-10-26, 1:00 am)Bokusenou Wrote: Nice to hear! Any plans to add an RSS feed? If you do I'll likely follow it, since even as an advanced learner there are still a couple words I haven't come across before.^-^

We do now have email updates that we will email as new words are created.  I do not know if we will do RSS but we will definitely do Facebook and Twitter.  We are still building on the site in my husband's off-time, but soon!

(2017-10-16, 8:52 pm)Bokusenou Wrote: Looks great! The only small suggestion I might make is to maybe have furigana for the words listed on the first page. I know you show the reading when you click on a word & go to its page, but it might make the site look less imposing for intermediate learners if it had furigana on the main page, unless your target audience is beginners that is, then romaji might work better, despite my general dislike of it as a learning tool.
Overall, awesome job!

Also we added furigana!  You can toggle it in the menu bar!  It was a great idea, thank you for suggesting it!!
Edited: 2017-11-05, 8:04 pm
(2017-10-16, 1:03 pm)romysensei Wrote: Hi there!

My name is Romy and I am a Japanese teacher living in the USA.  I recently created a website with my husband about interesting Japanese words, their connotations, and their historical backgrounds.  Some Japanese words have very fun stories behind them, and I found that my students enjoyed learning these because the stories help them learn the words faster.  The website address is https://www.romysensei.com (please let me know if it does not work for you!)

I am posting here because we created this first version of our website and we are wondering what people would like to see on our site.  Do you think this site is interesting for Japanese students?  Is there anything you would like to change? Also, when you study words and kanji, what kinds of information are you looking for?

Any feedback is appreciated!  
[quote pid='247401' dateline='1508176985']
The website looks great and I love the concept! I look forward to seeing more words!

[/quote]