Back

[Kanji Koohii] NEW : Highlight entries with known kanji in Dictionary

Today's update adds an interesting feature for users of Koohii flashcards. The dictionary lookup in Study and Flashcard Review pages now highlights vocabulary entries made of known kanji.

Currently a known kanji is simply a kanji for which you have added a flashcard. In the future this may be refined based on your feedback. Should a "known kanji" also be reviewed once? Should it include kanji in the failed card pile? Etc.

In this example, a verb made of a single kanji (plus kana suffix) will be highlighted and thus brought to the user's attention. This can provide a good example word to remember the kanji.

[Image: 2017-10-02-known-kanji-example2.png]

In this second example the user has learned the first 50 kanji with the RTK method (index #1 to #50). The second word is not highlighted yet but once the user has learned 大 (kanji #112 "large") then the second word will be highlighted too.

[Image: 2017-10-02-known-kanji-example1.png]

Over the weeks and months as you add more flashcards and your "known kanji" expands, and you revisit the dictionary during flashcard reviews, new entries will be highlighted.

A key point with this approach is that any vocabulary item that is highlighted is always based on previous knowledge.

This feature corresponds to Github issue #125.

Do you find this feature useful? How does it fit into your study and how would you like to see it improved?
This is awesome, it helps in learning compounds a lot. Thanks for the new feature!
Great initiative Fabrice! I don't look at the example dictionary words a lot now, but it would have helped a lot as I was plowing through RTK!
Edited: 2017-10-11, 5:30 pm
See this thread for Holiday Countdown Deals (until Dec 15th)
JapanesePod101
After implementing this I realised that it wouldn't be terribly exciting for long time users and people who completed RTK. With 2000+ kanji cards, the dictionary highlights most results.

This feature will make more sense once I implement the next step, which is a way to "pin/ favorite" any of the results. At first those will show in the Study page only. Later, all the pinned vocab could be displayed in a new vocab page. Whether I want to add another SRS for these I'm not sure. But having a list of all pinned vocab sorted by add date would be a good start.
Didn't there used to be a function where you could paste any arbitrary text and highlight completed and uncompleted cards? Or was that someone else's service?
(2017-10-12, 7:18 pm)colinsky Wrote: Didn't there used to be a function where you could paste any arbitrary text and highlight completed and uncompleted cards?  Or was that someone else's service?

https://kanji.koohii.com/sightreading (requires to be logged in)
Yeah it's called "Kanji Recognition" now from the Study menu. I think I was lazy there with the mobile update and just left it out the mobile navigation. I figured maybe it wasn't that convenient to use from a non desktop view, since I assume you'd do a lot of lookups on other sites.

It would be cool if I could just pull some articles with xml / json from Japanese news sites. If anyone has some technical info for this, like some good feeds I could use I might experiment with it, perhaps add them to the page.
Edited: 2017-10-13, 5:17 am
A quick search has given me http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/news-list.json. It has a BOM, so it breaks some parsers. On GNU/Linux, I'd recommend something like:
Code:
# Yeah, that's "uconv", not "iconv". There are other ways to remove the BOM signature ("tail --bytes=+4", for instance)
curl 'http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/news-list.json' | uconv --remove-signature |  python3 -m json.tool
to inspect it comfortably.

I don't know if you were thinking about something like that (the articles are still in HTML, though)
Thank you, I had been looking for that!