Back

Best Way to Format Anki Vocab Cards?

I'm starting to create a vocab deck using the Core 2k6k10k Optimized Spreadsheet.

I currently have the cards formatted such that on the front, it displays: the furigana sentence with the kanji compound reading cloze-deleted, along with an english translation.

試写[ししゃ]会[かい]の日時[...]を教[おし]えてください。
Please tell me the date of the sneak preview.

While on the back it displays: the correct reading, the reading and translation for the word itself, and audio for the whole sentence.

試写[ししゃ]会[かい]の日時[にちじ]を教[おし]えてください。
Please tell me the date of the sneak preview.

日時[にちじ]
date and time

When studying, I would type in the kanji reading and speak aloud the sentence along with the audio when I flipped the card over.

My question to you is: do you see any problems that I may encounter in the future as I move onto harder sentences, or possible bad habits that I may learn and what could be a better way to format these cards?

Example problems could be recognizing transitive and intransitive verbs and being able to produce full words including trailing kana.

I would like to keep the cloze deletion, however I've found that it does not allow separation of furigana from the trailing kana, forcing me to cloze-delete the entire word, making it harder to learn the readings of the individual kanji.

Any help would be appreciated.
Edited: 2017-09-04, 6:03 pm
Close delete had some technical limits (can't recall the issues) so I used a simplier system on my vocab cards which you can see below:

https://anki.tenderapp.com/discussions/e...f-sentence

Basically, I hope to read the Japanese sentence and be able to guess the kanji & reading. The kanji is covered by an opaque block, but there are some hints:

- the english meaning is hidden but can be shown by clicking on the bottom of the window
- hovering over any kanji will reveal its kana above the opaque block
- clicking and highlighting the opaque block will reveal the kanji

There are just 2 cards for each word (recall-recog). For perfection we could divide this into 6+ iterations but that is a waste of time. Unless you like handwriting, you might kill the recall and just do recog. The early vocab is sourced from the KCP vocab books so my work is really vocab focused (nearly n+1 and the grammar is simple).

There are studies showing that recall of handwriting is better than recall of typing. My experience is that typing in the kana will do little to reinforce your memory of readings; handwriting could help along with saying the reading out loud. To save time I would just say the readings out loud.
(2017-09-04, 6:02 pm)GuyInALabCoat Wrote: I'm starting to create a vocab deck using the Core 2k6k10k Optimized Spreadsheet.
Any help would be appreciated.

Try this instead:
https://mega.nz/#!BYJwxSBY!9ZO17Pi68KhBE...8j2LkYkVCc
Everything is already formatted for vocab recognition, with all the related media. All you need to do is download and import the deck, no further thinking required. It's Core10k further optimised.
EPIC SALE: Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! (Sept 18 - 29)
JapanesePod101
Quote: Try this instead:
https://mega.nz/#!BYJwxSBY!9ZO17Pi68KhBE...8j2LkYkVCc
Thank you for this deck. This definitely saves me some time in creating my own deck.

I want to thank both of you for your advice. Going forward I will try to incorporate handwriting by writing the kana for the reading, when I can, and focus more on recognition rather than typing.