Back

Japanese Language Study Log: Nella

So hoping this can help put some order to the chaos and be a point of reference.

July 2017 passed N2 110/180
21 29 60

Not the most flash results but I'll take it!

I will need to decide whether I'll retake N2 or go for N1 whenever that will be. Definitely not this December that would definitely be a waste of money.

I need to start studying seriously again starting with kanji. I have barely touched a text book since finishing Genki 2 some 3yrs ago.

I tried RTK but did not last, maybe less than 5 chapters and restarted my anki deck so many times I've lost count. All the SKM books (N3-N1) are collecting dust on my shelf.

I am the opposite of many who start with working on reading and then go to listening and speaking. Listening and speaking is fine no issues there.

The plan is to work on my kanji/vocab/reading/grammar/writing at the same time so
1. I will be working through the kanji kentei levels starting from 10,
2. I will start reading everyday starting with some graded readers, manga etc
3. I will reset my anki deck yet again and this time will start at one item per day that way there is no mountain of reviews if there is a missed day and gradually increase the amount so i can ease back into it
4. Continue watching/listening to whatever fills my fancy Smile

Let's see how long this lasts!
Congrats on passing N2!

Take this with a grain of salt, as I'm just going through Genki myself right now, but I think you'd probably learn more if you aim for N1. I'd imagine that N1 material also includes N2 material that it assumes you know, so you'd get the review of the N2 stuff included along with new material.
(2017-09-05, 1:32 pm)Skullclutter Wrote: Congrats on passing N2!

Take this with a grain of salt, as I'm just going through Genki myself right now, but I think you'd probably learn more if you aim for N1. I'd imagine that N1 material also includes N2 material that it assumes you know, so you'd get the review of the N2 stuff included along with new material.

Thanks. At the moment I am just trying to build up my reading and kanji muscles so am not specifically looking at the JLPT materials. I might start adding them in down the track Smile

Update for the week

Anki stats
Mature 0
Young + Learn 6

Kanji Peen
The seen cards in this collection contain:
4 total unique kanji.
Old jouyou: 4 of 1940 (0.2%).
New jouyou: 0 of 196 (0.0%).
Jinmeiyou (regular): 0 of 641 (0.0%).
Jinmeiyou (variant): 0 of 145 (0.0%).
0 non-jouyou kanji.
Jouyou levels:

Grade 1: 1   of 80  (1.2%).
Grade 2: 3   of 160 (1.9%).
Grade 3: 0   of 200 (0.0%).
Grade 4: 0   of 200 (0.0%).
Grade 5: 0   of 185 (0.0%).
Grade 6: 0   of 181 (0.0%).
JuniorHS: 0   of 934 (0.0%)

Studied
Kanji Kentei Step 10kyuu Book Finished Step 9

Read
Finished reading Graded Reader Level 0 volume 1

What went well
Reading the Graded Reader has been great. I could probably read the volume in 10minutes but forcing myself to 1 story everyday might help me set up a reading routine so am happy to be taking it nice and slow.
Anki has been a breeze at 1 new card a day, from next week i will move up to 2 Smile
Going through the Step book has been good. There is a little writing practice, vocab and the exercises are fun.
Edited: 2017-09-08, 5:17 pm
EPIC SALE: Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! (Sept 18 - 29)
JapanesePod101
I've been working through the Graded Readers as well. Do you just read one straight through, or is there a specific way you tackle each one?
(2017-09-11, 7:43 am)Skullclutter Wrote: I've been working through the Graded Readers as well. Do you just read one straight through, or is there a specific way you tackle each one?

At the moment I have just been reading straight through. I haven't listened to the audio either. They have all been pretty straight forward to me so far.I am taking an extensive approach so unless something bothers me I'll just move on.

Update for the week

Anki stats
Mature 1(+1)
Young & Learn 19(+13)

Kanji Peen
  • 20 total unique kanji. (+16)

• Old jouyou: 20 of 1940 (1.0%).(+16)

• New jouyou: 0 of 196 (0.0%).

• Jinmeiyou (regular): 0 of 641 (0.0%).

• Jinmeiyou (variant): 0 of 145 (0.0%).

• 0 non-jouyou kanji.
Jouyou levels:
  • Grade 1: 5   of 80  (6.2%).(+4)

• Grade 2: 10  of 160 (6.2%).(+7)

• Grade 3: 3   of 200 (1.5%).(+3)

• Grade 4: 1   of 200 (0.5%).(+1)

• Grade 5: 1   of 185 (0.5%).(+1)

• Grade 6: 0   of 181 (0.0%).

• JuniorHS: 0   of 934 (0.0%).
Studied
Kanji Kentei Step 10kyuu Book Finished Step 19 (+10)

Read
Finished reading Graded Reader Level 0 volume 2

What went well
Continued with the Graded Reader series. From tomorrow will be reading some manga instead to change things up so will see how that goes.
Anki is still good. This week was 2 new cards a day next week I move up to 3.
Still going through the step book. I need to have vocab/kanji readings reinforced so hopefully changing up my reading material will help with variety.
Edited: 2017-09-15, 2:56 pm
Update for the week

Anki stats
Mature 7 (+6)
Young & Learn 27 (+8)

Kanji Peen
  • 36 total unique kanji. (+16)

• Old jouyou: 36 of 1940 (1.9%). (+16)

• New jouyou: 0 of 196 (0.0%).

• Jinmeiyou (regular): 0 of 641 (0.0%).

• Jinmeiyou (variant): 0 of 145 (0.0%).

• 0 non-jouyou kanji.
Jouyou levels:
  • Grade 1: 11  of 80  (13.8%). (+6)

• Grade 2: 13  of 160 (8.1%). (+3)

• Grade 3: 8   of 200 (4.0%). (+5)

• Grade 4: 2   of 200 (1.0%). (+1)

• Grade 5: 2   of 185 (1.1%). (+1)

• Grade 6: 0   of 181 (0.0%).

• JuniorHS: 0   of 934 (0.0%).
Studied
Finished the 10kyuu book and started the 9kyuu one and currently working through Step 3.

Read
Started reading a manga called What's Micheal 2. No idea what happened to 1. It's got volumes instead of chapters but they are only a couple of pages. I read from vol. 22 to 27. No furigana.

What went well
It has been a super busy and hectic week and still going so am glad to have kept up with it all as much as I have. Starting the 9kyuu kanji book felt like a real level up. I feel this is going to be a good step up as I am familiar with reading the kanji but not writing them. I think the manga might be for high school level and above? It is pretty funny and the short chapters make it manageable. I will try and see how I go this coming week as some things should die down and I may be able to squeeze in more than just one little chapter everyday. I was also able to keep up with anki everyday having few new cards and 2 or 3 review cards helped. This coming week moving to 4 new cards a day. Tadoku month is coming up next month looking forward to keeping up the experimentation with reading Smile