Back

2017 JLPT N4 (December 3rd, Chicago)

Big Grin  Hi Everyone!    Big Grin

I'm currently studying for the JLPT N4 December 2017 test in Chicago.  Are there any others here who want to share resources / tips?  And if you are in Chicago maybe we could meet up.

I just started using the Heisig method, and it is really working thanks to his books and to Kanji Koohii!

So far, I'm using Anki, RTK Book 1, and I just signed up with JapanesePod101.com.  The only problem I have with JPod101 is that there is so much information ... too much ... I will log in, get overwhelmed, then just log out.  Not good.

91 Days until the JLPT N4 TEST!!  December 3rd, 2017

Please write back with success stories, encouragement, learning tips, anything ... I really want to pass and start focusing on the JLPT N3.

Thanks,
-Robert
I'm writing the N4 in December in Canada....(exact city not disclosed Smile ).

I'm preparing by using various N4 practice books that I purchased from Amazon.  I have one just for grammar, one just for vocabulary, one just for kanji, one with all three (including three mock exams) and one just for the listening part of the test.  In all I have 5 CD's of audio material.

I've already worked through the grammar book, doing the exercises and making notes.  I've pretty much memorized all the vocabulary I didn't previously know.  So now I'm focusing on my listening skills.  After I practice listening for awhile I'll do the three mock exams.
(2017-09-03, 10:45 am)phil321 Wrote: I'm writing the N4 in December in Canada....(exact city not disclosed Smile ).

I'm preparing by using various N4 practice books that I purchased from Amazon.  I have one just for grammar, one just for vocabulary, one just for kanji, one with all three (including three mock exams) and one just for the listening part of the test.  In all I have 5 CD's of audio material.

I've already worked through the grammar book, doing the exercises and making notes.  I've pretty much memorized all the vocabulary I didn't previously know.  So now I'm focusing on my listening skills.  After I practice listening for awhile I'll do the three mock exams.

Wow!  You are really prepared!  Here are the books I'm using:

1) A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar (Makino)
2) All About Particles, A Handbook of Japanese Function Words
3) The Preparatory Course for the Japanese Proficiency Test
4) Remembering the Kanji 1
5) Japanese for Busy People 2 & 3 (old, I know)
6) Mock Test for Levels 4 & 5.

I think listening will be the hardest thing.  Kanji readings will probably be the easiest.

Are you planning to work / live in Japan?  I'm hoping to spend a few months there next year, and maybe teach at some point.

-Robert
EPIC SALE: Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! (Sept 18 - 29)
JapanesePod101
My current ETA to finish Genki 2 is the end of January, so I've been thinking about sitting the N5 in December instead. The test site in my area doesn't offer the July test. My main goal is to sit N3 by December of next year, so at least I'll have some familiarity with the test conditions this way.

Planning on going through Genki 1. Currently on chapter 6, so I should finish that by the end of October. The plan after that is to move straight on into Genki 2 and get as far as I can before the test.

Other materials: KKLC, Japanese Graded readers, Level 0.
Edited: 2017-09-05, 3:34 pm
(2017-09-03, 12:54 pm)robertchicago2017 Wrote:
(2017-09-03, 10:45 am)phil321 Wrote: I'm writing the N4 in December in Canada....(exact city not disclosed Smile ).

Wow!  You are really prepared!  Here are the books I'm using:

1) A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar (Makino)
2) All About Particles, A Handbook of Japanese Function Words
3) The Preparatory Course for the Japanese Proficiency Test
4) Remembering the Kanji 1
5) Japanese for Busy People 2 & 3 (old, I know)
6) Mock Test for Levels 4 & 5.

I think listening will be the hardest thing.  Kanji readings will probably be the easiest.

Are you planning to work / live in Japan?  I'm hoping to spend a few months there next year, and maybe teach at some point.

-Robert

I can also recommend "Japanese Sentence Patterns for Effective Communication" by Taeko Kamiya.  I'm working through it chapter by chapter doing all the exercises (writing the answers down).