Back

Reliable VPNs

I use OpenVPN and profiles from vpngate on my iPad to stream Japanese TV with good success, but on my laptop, it is extremely unreliable. Always disconnects ater about 3-4 minutes and is generally too slow for streaming. Can anyone recommend a reliable, stable, and fast Japan VPN, free or paid? Thanks. (I'm pretty sure this is within the forum rules, as VPN isn't  piracy, right?)
VPN discussion doesn't break any rules I know of.

I use Private Internet Access, which has a Japanese VPN. It works for most Japan-only sites, but sites like Netflix are usually a lot more strict about VPNs and catch on pretty quickly when an IP is being used by one. There seems to only be one server, but maybe they just list all of the IPs under the country for servers outside of the US.

And while I haven't tried this one personally (I almost did, because PIA didn't have a functioning Japanese exit node for a long time), TigerVPN has server(s?) in Osaka and Tokyo.
It's been around a few years and I'd read some decent reviews, but again, I have no personal experience with this service.
(2017-08-24, 12:48 pm)sholum Wrote: VPN discussion doesn't break any rules I know of.

I use Private Internet Access, which has a Japanese VPN. It works for most Japan-only sites, but sites like Netflix are usually a lot more strict about VPNs and catch on pretty quickly when an IP is being used by one. There seems to only be one server, but maybe they just list all of the IPs under the country for servers outside of the US.

And while I haven't tried this one personally (I almost did, because PIA didn't have a functioning Japanese exit node for a long time), TigerVPN has server(s?) in Osaka and Tokyo.
It's been around a few years and I'd read some decent reviews, but again, I have no personal experience with this service.

Thanks! I will check them out. OpenVPN profiles fro vpngate usually work with Netflix, but occasionally do not. The thing is there are A LOT of different servers, and it can take a long to find a stable one, which then might not work a week later. I was hoping for a stable solution that didn't require a bunch of fiddling.
EPIC SALE: Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! (Sept 18 - 29)
JapanesePod101
I use ExpressVPN which works really well, the downsides being it's a bit expensive compared to others, and its blocked by Netflix. Perfectly fine and stable for everything else, and I could reliably watch JPN Netflix until they blocked it.
(2017-08-25, 12:26 pm)Woodgar Wrote: I use ExpressVPN which works really well, the downsides being it's a bit expensive compared to others, and its blocked by Netflix. Perfectly fine and stable for everything else, and I could reliably watch JPN Netflix until they blocked it.

Thanks. I can usually watch Netflix using vpngate profiles (free), but I sometimes have to try a few to get a fast one. I guess I'll stick with this, since it looks like Netflix is onto the big ones.
(2017-08-26, 4:37 pm)johndoe2015 Wrote:
(2017-08-25, 12:26 pm)Woodgar Wrote: I use ExpressVPN which works really well, the downsides being it's a bit expensive compared to others, and its blocked by Netflix. Perfectly fine and stable for everything else, and I could reliably watch JPN Netflix until they blocked it.

Thanks. I can usually watch Netflix using vpngate profiles (free), but I sometimes have to try a few to get a fast one. I guess I'll stick with this, since it looks like Netflix is onto the big ones.

THANK YOU. Vpngate was a pain to set up (it wouldn't work with my linux distribution and had to download and install Ubuntu), but it works like a freaking charm! 

Netflix actually has subs for my favorite Japanese show I've watched  (Ultraman Mebius) which makes me immensely happy. Now to learn all that weird scifi and paramilitary language Smile
(2017-08-31, 7:31 pm)uchuu Wrote: Netflix actually has subs for my favorite Japanese show I've watched  (Ultraman Mebius) which makes me immensely happy. Now to learn all that weird scifi and paramilitary language Smile

There's a lot of tokusatsu stuff on amazon.co.jp prime video also, you have to get the subs off kitsunekko and use a stand alone subtitle player like penguin subtitle player though.
The other day I realized that running tunnelbear's free trial on google chrome was good enough to trick AbemaTV. Unfortunately the trial doesn't come with very much data as far as video streaming is concerned, and I can't find any playback quality controls.
(2017-09-02, 8:26 pm)cracky Wrote:
(2017-08-31, 7:31 pm)uchuu Wrote: Netflix actually has subs for my favorite Japanese show I've watched  (Ultraman Mebius) which makes me immensely happy. Now to learn all that weird scifi and paramilitary language Smile

There's a lot of tokusatsu stuff on amazon.co.jp prime video also, you have to get the subs off kitsunekko and use a stand alone subtitle player like penguin subtitle player though.

Yeah, but it's kamen rider and super sentai... not top many ultra shows are on there. I'm surprised Netflix has subbed them all considering that the original dvds for earlier incarnations don't have subs.
Whatever you do, don't use Hola!