Back

Unbabel (translation startup)

Hey everyone. 

(I asked Faburisu if I could create a thread on this.)

I'm the community manager for Unbabel, a translation startup company

We are currently lacking people for the korean community, but the japanese community could also use some more translators. Asian languages are better paid because there's a high demand and not that many translators. 

I'm here posting this in the hopes that some of you, who speak japanese, korean, or whatever languages you speak (feel free to translate for us even if you are not an asian language speaker!). 
I deal directly with the community, so if you register and need to know something I'll most likely be the one answering (unless is technical problems). 

It works like this. A new editor/translator (you will be editing - hence our using of the name "editor", instead of translator - the contents of machine translation) will register. Then, you'll have to do 5 language verification tasks to prove you are not a robot. These tasks are short, easy. 

After the language verification, you'll have to do at least 10 training tasks, that will be evaluated by our native evaluators. If your rating is positive, you will get access to paid tasks (we pay via Paypal or Skrill).
If one wants to add other language pairs, besides the one chosen at registration, you'll have to fill out this form

Anything you might want to ask, just let me know. 

Best regards
Is your current market <Language> -> Japanese translations?

I only ask because I notice you don't have offices in China, Korea, or Japan. In my job hunting (Software Engineer), I interviewed with one company that was involved in the translation business (in Japan) and they were doing something similar to what you are doing -- Machine Aided translation with human editors. They weren't doing a task-based/freelance approach though.

The lack of presence in these countries where face-to-face business transactions are still important, kind of hurts. Plus advertising is easier with an in-country footprint.
Few days ago ABC in Australia aired a show about how AI is going to affect us in the coming years. They were talking about jobs like truck drivers, paralegals, GPs. In all the cases the conclusion was obvious: most of the mundane tasks will be done in future by robots, in some cases making people redundant.

Now, I thought for few seconds about the post from the OP and my reactions were more or less like that:
- hey, I could do those translations!
- wait, how does it work? (goes on the internet and does background reading)
- what?! so, it will be me who will be teaching machines how to make better translations?
- nah, I don't think it's in mankind's interest to make the machines better in translating
- nice company, see you later...
Edited: 2017-08-10, 9:48 pm
August Sale (14th - 25th): 30% OFF Premium PLUS - 25% OFF Premium
JapanesePod101
Its in mankind's interest to have machines that translate better. A big barrier for a lot of companies to move international is language. If machines could give 90% accurate translations every time, those barriers would shrink/disappear.

AI is a tide. You can't fight the tide.
(2017-08-11, 5:10 am)vix86 Wrote: AI is a tide. You can't fight the tide.

I prefer an analogy that is closer to the other force of nature - people are walking straight into a raging fire with blindfolds on their eyes, and they will start realising their demise only after it's to late for going back. This should not be happening or at least not the current way. It's to frightening how reality is catching up on SF.
Edited: 2017-08-11, 6:11 am
Hello @Rina, I am maybe interested in that proposal, do you currently have any vacancies for the English/Brazilian Portuguese pair?

I also have a few questions:

Are you looking for native bilinguals mostly or is it enough to be a person who has a sound knowledge of the L2 language?
Are you looking mostly for translations from English to the other language or also the other way around?
How much is paid for each translation?
How many translations should I expect per week after I'm a member of the editor's community?
How are eventual mistakes in the translations handled?
(2017-08-11, 5:10 am)vix86 Wrote: Its in mankind's interest to have machines that translate better. A big barrier for a lot of companies to move international is language. If machines could give 90% accurate translations every time, those barriers would shrink/disappear.

You just wait a few hours for it to go down, much easier.
(2017-08-10, 9:51 am)Rina Wrote: After the language verification, you'll have to do at least 10 training tasks, that will be evaluated by our native evaluators. If your rating is positive, you will get access to paid tasks (we pay via Paypal or Skrill).

I have a question about this, are the evaluators part of the job pool for the tasks in that language?  If they are and tasks are limited, which they seem to be, what motivation would they have to give people a positive rating?  You wouldn't want more competition taking your possible earnings if you have the ability to cull future peers.

If they aren't part of the pool and they're separate staff then my concern is probably unwarranted.
Edited: 2017-08-14, 6:51 pm
(2017-08-11, 5:10 am)vix86 Wrote: Its in mankind's interest to have machines that translate better. A big barrier for a lot of companies to move international is language. If machines could give 90% accurate translations every time, those barriers would shrink/disappear.

Have you ever seen examples of '90% comprehension' where 10% of the words are deleted? They're essentially incomprehensible.

You need 99+% accuracy for functional communication, and artistic communication (i.e., prose and poetry translation) is currently something we have no means to quantify at all.

Machine translation will get there eventually for functional communication, including legal and technical documents, but that day currently appears to be a long way away. Whether it will get there ever for artistic communication is a matter of opinion -- then again, whether or not even the most skilled human translation is valid for artistic communication is also a matter of opinion.
Edited: 2017-08-15, 2:22 am
(2017-08-14, 6:49 pm)cracky Wrote:
(2017-08-10, 9:51 am)Rina Wrote: After the language verification, you'll have to do at least 10 training tasks, that will be evaluated by our native evaluators. If your rating is positive, you will get access to paid tasks (we pay via Paypal or Skrill).

I have a question about this, are the evaluators part of the job pool for the tasks in that language?  If they are and tasks are limited, which they seem to be, what motivation would they have to give people a positive rating?  You wouldn't want more competition taking your possible earnings if you have the ability to cull future peers.

If they aren't part of the pool and they're separate staff then my concern is probably unwarranted.

We have translators (editors), evaluators, native reviewers, etc they do separate things. 

Tasks are limited, but there are language pairs that have new paid tasks very regularly (like daily), and since we based on the "first come, first served" principle, those who see get the tasks first are the one doing it (we can use our notifications so you get to know if there are new tasks available instantly - I recommend the mobile app. where you can also work).

(2017-08-11, 6:41 am)Iuri_ Wrote: Hello @Rina, I am maybe interested in that proposal, do you currently have any vacancies for the English/Brazilian Portuguese pair?

I also have a few questions:

Are you looking for native bilinguals mostly or is it enough to be a person who has a sound knowledge of the L2 language?
Are you looking mostly for translations from English to the other language or also the other way around?
How much is paid for each translation?
How many translations should I expect per week after I'm a member of the editor's community?
How are eventual mistakes in the translations handled?

YES! That language pair is indeed availabel Smile

We are looking for everyone who has a decent knowledge of languages, even if they are not a native speaker. Please see the languages we have available. There is also the "other way around" for many language pairs. Go take a look. 
https://unbabel.com/languages/

The prices vary according to the quality and speed of your translation. The faster and better you are, the more your hourly rate will rise. 

Translations depend on the demand. There are time where we have to contact the community rather frequently because there is so much work to be done. 

First there is the AI translation, that will then be edited by one translator, then by another, and only then it will go to a native reviewer. If the client is not happy, he will let us know.
Edited: 2017-08-15, 3:13 am
Bump.

Do you have any korean friends who know english?
We really need some more people for this (and the japanese) community...

Please let me know.

Carolina