Back

typing on a computer is a nightmare...help!

I'm finding it very difficult to type in Japanese. How do you move onto the next word without the computer thinking that everything is one word and constantly trying to change whatever I type? My method at the moment is to type the word that I want in another app then just paste it word by word into my email/message. I'm not sure i've explained what I mean very well but basically need an outline of how to actually type properly in Japanese. Thanks
(2017-08-09, 3:58 pm)turningjapanese Wrote: I'm finding it very difficult to type in Japanese. How do you move onto the next word without the computer thinking that everything is one word and constantly trying to change whatever I type? My method at the moment is to type the word that I want in another app then just paste it word by word into my email/message. I'm not sure i've explained what I mean very well but basically need an outline of how to actually type properly in Japanese. Thanks

You press space to convert, then press enter/return to type something new.
Depending on your IME, things will be a bit different, but in my experience (Windows IME on Windows 7 and Anthy on Precise Puppy) it's best to type the word you want, convert it, and then keep typing. If it's kana only, then hit enter/return and keep typing. It certainly takes some getting used to, though. I'm not sure if it's any easier using a kana keyboard or not (don't have one).
If you have to do English in between, you can either set up a hotkey (I use ctrl + `) to switch between methods or, if your IME works this way, you can start with a capital letter and type a whole sentence.

You have to choose your IME and get used to its quirks, maybe even set up some rules or hotkeys, before you can type comfortably using a standard keyboard.
See this thread for Holiday Countdown Deals (until Dec 15th)
JapanesePod101
get google ime for japanese
The below is how you can use Windows IME (the keyboard shortcuts are the default ones).

<Alt-Shift> is to switch between keyboards.

When the Japanese keyboard gets active for some reason it tends to prefer half-width roumaji, so you need to type:
<Alt-CapsLk> to switch to hiragana (the icon in the language bar tells you the current language and, in case of Japanese, type of characters (roumaji, hiragana, katakana)), then let's say you want to write a sentence:
この話は面白かったね。

Keys that you type are:
k,o,n,o,enter,h,a,n,a,s,i,space,h,a,enter,o,m,o,s,i,r,o,k,a,t,t,a,n,e,period,space,enter

The order of typing the space bar and the enter key can be different from the above, for example when I've typed just now:
k,o,n,o,h,a,n,a,s,i,h,a,o,m,o,s,i,r,o,k,a,t,t,a,n,e,period,space,enter

I've got the same sentence.

If you don't want kanji for some reason then you should not press the space bar, for example, the sequence:
k,o,n,o,h,a,n,a,s,i,h,a,o,m,o,s,i,r,o,k,a,t,t,a,n,e,period,enter

should give you:
このはなしはおもしろかったね。
Edited: 2017-08-09, 8:52 pm
(2017-08-09, 7:08 pm)howtwosavealif3 Wrote: get google ime for japanese

Do others agree that it's better than Windows?
(2017-08-10, 4:32 pm)Stansfield123 Wrote: Do others agree that it's better than Windows?
In the past this was the case. I recently upgraded to Win10 and decided to check out a few things and the IME on Win10 is considerably better and probably closer to Google IME. The thing that made Google IME better for years was the fact that they crowd sourced inputs from people using it. The conversion candidates were basically laid out in a frequency distribution. You could even accidentally type an English word and Google would have the English word as a candidate.
On a Mac, is there a way to force it to use hiragana? LIke I just wanted to type す and the default given was 巣. They should have a hiragana only option, just like they have for katakana. Maybe I just haven't found it?
(2017-08-12, 12:05 am)ayu_modoki Wrote: On a Mac, is there a way to force it to use hiragana? LIke I just wanted to type す and the default given was 巣. They should have a hiragana only option, just like they have for katakana. Maybe I just haven't found it?

No, because no one would use it.  Katakana has it because katakana doesn't change to kanji.  Just use hiragana and don't press space. Pressing enter will leave it as hiragana.  Remember, Japanese only has spaces in kids books, so practice leaving the spaces out if that's where you're having issues.
Edited: 2017-08-13, 9:46 am