Back

Japanese Language Study Log: Skullclutter

Hey all

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've really been enjoying the language learning log threads lately -  they're a great way to get motivated for a study session. I know most people logging are way more advanced than me, but as a beginner, I though it'd be useful (to me, if nobody else) to join in for the accountability and so I can look back later and see how far I've come.

Ultimate Goal:
I'm a web developer, and I've been working on branching out into game development. My goal is to be able to create translation patches for old games that were never localized, and I want to be able to read materials on game design and development written by japanese developers. And, of course, partake in any other japanese media that strikes my fancy.

Long-ish term goal:
I'm aiming to take the N3 exam December 2018. I won't quite be ready for the N4 this December, and I'm not sure if writing the N5 instead would be helpful. I'm also hoping that by then I'll be at a point where I can start an account on pixiv to post my game art and communicate with other artists as production practice.

Mid-term goal:
Finish Genki 1 & 2 and start working in sources like NHK Easy news, Watanoc, Yotsubato, etc.

Currrent Study Plan:
Grammar:
Genki 1 - textbook & workbook, creating custom anki deck as I go.
Genki 2 - textbook & workbook
Should finish these by mid-december at which point I'll be moving on to Tobira.
Currently 1/4 through chapter 5.

Vocab:
Core10K anki deck at 20 new cards per day
Currently at 79 mature, 96 young+learn

Kanji:
Just Genki so far. Planning on ordering KKLC.

Goal of the Week:
- I'm currently working on the textbook exercises for Chapter 5 grammar section, so this week's goal is to finish Chapter 5, both grammar & reading/writing, in both workbook & textbook.
- Keep up with Anki reviews
(2017-08-09, 11:43 am)Skullclutter Wrote: Long-ish term goal:
I'm aiming to take the N3 exam December 2018. I won't quite be ready for the N4 this December, and I'm not sure if writing the N5 instead would be helpful. I'm also hoping that by then I'll be at a point where I can start an account on pixiv to post my game art and communicate with other artists as production practice.

I think you should consider taking the N5 this December.  Then do N4 then N3.  I did the N5 in 2016 and passed but it was harder than I thought it would be.  Now I'm studying for the N4.  Writing the N5 was extremely helpful because going through the experience gave me an idea of what these exams are all about.

The pass rate for the N5 is around 50% each year while for the N4 it's around 35%.  I wonder whether the pass rate for N4 is so much lower than N5 because a lot of the people writing the N4 skipped the N5 and wrote the N4 before they were ready.

Anyway, if you're "not quite ready" for the N4 this December I would consider writing the N5 this December instead.  Then do N4 in 2017.  Just my two cents.
(2017-08-09, 3:55 pm)phil321 Wrote:
(2017-08-09, 11:43 am)Skullclutter Wrote: Long-ish term goal:

I think you should consider taking the N5 this December.  Then do N4 then N3.  I did the N5 in 2016 and passed but it was harder than I thought it would be.  Now I'm studying for the N4.  Writing the N5 was extremely helpful because going through the experience gave me an idea of what these exams are all about.

The pass rate for the N5 is around 50% each year while for the N4 it's around 35%.  I wonder whether the pass rate for N4 is so much lower than N5 because a lot of the people writing the N4 skipped the N5 and wrote the N4 before they were ready.

Anyway, if you're "not quite ready" for the N4 this December I would consider writing the N5 this December instead.  Then do N4 in 2017.  Just my two cents.

This is definitely food for thought. At my current rate, I should finish Genki 2 by the end of December, and the JLPT is held early December, so that's why I say I won't be quite ready. They only hold the December JLPT in my area, and I don't want to wait a whole year after the N5 to write the N4, but you make a good point that having the test experience at an easier level would be helpful. Maybe I could take an N5 mock test after I finish Genki 1 and judge things from there.
August Sale (14th - 25th): 30% OFF Premium PLUS - 25% OFF Premium
JapanesePod101
Didn't quite manage to finish Chapter 5 this week. I've still got one page of exercises in the reading & writing section to do, so it will take one more evening.

On the plus side, though, my copy of KKLC arrived in the mail yesterday. I'm excited to start that, but I also don't want to take too much time away from Genki. I'd like to finish Genki 2 before I divert time away from studying grammar, so then at least I'll have NHK News Easy to study with. Might take some experimenting to find a good pace.

Goal of the Week
Complete up to the grammar exercises in Chapter 6 of Genki textbook & workbook
Read KKLC preamble
Edited: 2017-08-16, 7:58 am
Gonna switch my reporting-in day to Mondays to see if that extra motivation helps me be more productive on the weekends.

Had to work overtime over the weekend to make a tight deadline, so I didn't get as much done as I'd hoped.
I added cards to Anki for the Chapter 6 vocab and took notes on the new grammar points, and got the first page of exercises from the textbook done so far.

I've also added the first 28 Kanji from KKLC to a custom group in KanjiStudy.

Lastly, I ordered Level 0 of the Japanese Graded Readers and they should have arrived today!

Goal of the Week
Going on a cruise for my honeymoon on friday, so I expect a pretty slow couple of weeks.
I'm going to take my graded readers with me with the aim of getting through at least one set.

Really, though, the main goal is just to keep up with Anki so I don't end up buried in reviews when I get back.
Congratulations on your marriage! Don't spend too much time on anki - you only get one honeymoon(hopefully), so make sure to enjoy every minute.