Anyone has any experience with Android TV?
I need something that would make it possible to watch YouTube videos on my parents' TV.
I don't need anything too fancy as long as it supports 1080p YouTube videos and as long as it streams them without any lag. Actually, the simpler the interface is, the better. (My parents and tecnology are far apart from each other asd)
I've came to this two options: beelink mini and beelink gt1.
The gt1 model costs 10 € more than the mini model. I'd better spend 10 € more but only if it makes a difference in term of results.
Also, are there any valid alternatives in the same price range (50-60€ max)?

My TV supports full hd and it has two hdmi connections and one usb connection.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance!
What about a "google chromecast" if it is only for playing youtube videos. This does require a smartphone to operate though,,, but it it really easy to operate if you have one.
(2017-08-07, 3:01 pm)loonytik Wrote: What about a "google chromecast" if it is only for playing youtube videos. This does require a smartphone to operate though,,, but it it really easy to operate if you have one.

Thank for the reply!

Unfortunately my parents don't even know how to hold a smartphone asd
August Sale (14th - 25th): 30% OFF Premium PLUS - 25% OFF Premium
JapanesePod101
(2017-08-07, 3:21 pm)cophnia61 Wrote:
(2017-08-07, 3:01 pm)loonytik Wrote: What about a "google chromecast" if it is only for playing youtube videos. This does require a smartphone to operate though,,, but it it really easy to operate if you have one.

Thank for the reply!

How do you intend for them to use youtube? You generally need to search for something to watch. How will they input a search term, or navigate the menus? If you are planning to have it just through a remote, that seems like it would be awfully difficult to use. A cheap tablet might work well with chromecast. I've never heard of those beelink things.
(2017-08-07, 4:12 pm)Zarxrax Wrote:
(2017-08-07, 3:21 pm)cophnia61 Wrote:

Thank for the reply!

How do you intend for them to use youtube? You generally need to search for something to watch. How will they input a search term, or navigate the menus? If you are planning to have it just through a remote, that seems like it would be awfully difficult to use. A cheap tablet might work well with chromecast. I've never heard of those beelink things.

They are already used to TV so they'll be more willingly to learn, while they are unwilling to learn to use a table. Also their sight is not very good at their age, so a small tablet would be troublesome to them. And I see that a decent table would cost more than those android boxes. Also for what I'm seeing on youtube, their interface is more simplified than that of a tablet, with less options and so on. To control them you can use a gamepad controller, which my parents are already used to. You know, like when you need to insert a name after you win in a consolle game. A virtual keyboard pops up and you move with the joystick arrows. Other than that it seems that it's just a matter of arrows to select an application, and then press enter. Also with a tablet they would need to use a touchscreen which they are very bad with. They would end up inadvertitely pressing things with their fingers and opening random things asd.
I'm not sure about this "Android TV" thingy (don't you hate those marketing bs terms?...) but I do own chromecast and roku. Using roku for youtube is pita but it is possible, whereas browsing youtube on your mobile and playing videos over chromecast is a breeze (you are right here though, certain level of technical competency in setup and usage is required). I don't think you should worry much about lags and such as long as your internet connection is decent in general - can you stream without lags on your computer, for example?
(2017-08-07, 8:34 pm)Inny Jan Wrote: I'm not sure about this "Android TV" thingy (don't you hate those marketing bs terms?...) but I do own chromecast and roku. Using roku for youtube is pita but it is possible, whereas browsing youtube on your mobile and playing videos over chromecast is a breeze (you are right here though, certain level of technical competency in setup and usage is required). I don't think you should worry much about lags and such as long as your internet connection is decent in general - can you stream without lags on your computer, for example?

Tank Inny for your reply! No lag on my computer. About those Android TV, I think I've found the perfect one for my parents. It's called "xiaomi mi box 3", it has a very basic interface, the control has only a bunch of buttons and it has even a microphone for voice recognition which you can use to search the youtube.