Back

no new cards until +1 is <30

I "finished" RTK about ten years ago, but it was a bit of a lie. I rushed to the finish line and at the end I had an unsustainable structure built on half-baked stories (sometimes none at all). I let all of my work slowly slide out of my brain and have had many times where i felt like this technique was no good after all.

I have tried to start it up again from scratch many times over the years without finding a satisfactory method (sometimes trying to shoehorn readings in since i'm an intermediate to advanced student otherwise). This time feels different, here's the strategy I'm using.

1) add a chapter (including all rtk supplement characters for that chapter, if any)
2) review 1st thing every morning (while drinking the morning koohii)
2) keep going until the 1+ stack is 30 cards or less.
3) add another chapter.

that's it. (well, one minor addition, i am adding a bit of reading info to the title in case i already know the character in connection with a japanese word. i'm also adding a bit of clarifying info to the card keywords in cases where they are so similar that i don't feel there is value in trying to remember which is which (town vs village, angling vs. fishing etc.))

the <30 card limit for advancement on the 1+ stack prevents me from adding new cards when I already have enough cards on my plate that need attention (reworked stories, etc.).

the limit also keeps me from ever feeling too discouraged because the cards that don't need a lot of work sail on up to the other stacks and it never feels like i have too many failed.

anyways, hope that is of help to anyone else.
(2017-08-05, 6:21 pm)wasurenaide Wrote: ...I had an unsustainable structure built on half-baked stories (sometimes none at all).
LOL!  That's an amusing way of putting it.  I know what you mean.  Sometimes I come across a kanji whose keyword I've forgotten, and when I go back and look up the story I made up, I'm like, What the f--k?  How the hell could this story have possibly helped me to remember this keyword?
One thing I've noticed:  in every single case where I was never able to think up a good story, I have trouble today remembering the keyword.  That is, rote memorization does not work (for me, anyway).
I'm also redoing the RTK after about 6 years from the first pass. I'm doing something similar to you, but I also changed the max interval on my Anki deck to 2 months (I might increase it to 3 months, I'm not sure if I'll do that yet). That way I won't ever forget how to write the characters (I'm taking a Japanese course at the moment, so there I need to be able to write the Kanji by hand). I'm not 100% sure but I have the impression that if I allow the SRS scheduling increase the card interval too much, the stories will fade away and I won't be able to remember the character so easily. I'm at about 700 now and I only add 5 cards a day when my daily reviews are less than 30.
On a side note, I'm using that strategy only with RTK cards, not vocabulary cards.
Edited: 2017-08-06, 11:10 am
MONSTER Sale Get 28% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! (Oct 16 - 27)
JapanesePod101
Having in the past performed almost exactly the same series of missteps as wasurenaide, I've also come round to the opinion that, hackneyed as it may sound, slow and steady really does win the race--at least as far as RTK is concerned.

Unless you've some sort of deadline looming ahead of you in the near distance, I think you're far better off adding a modest amount each day--or taking wasurenaide's approach of not adding any more kanji until a certain benchmark has been cleared.

Though I suppose that making a bit of a mess of things the first time round probably didn't hurt in the long run, as it forced me to sit down and really think of what had worked and what hadn't. Also, coming up with stories for problematic kanji does become somewhat easier with time and practice.

I think the other chief problem of trying to zoom your way through the course is the ever deepening mire of reviews as you add more and more kanji. This can be quite demoralising and an issue which I think that wasurenaide may have found a useful way of mitigating.
Pardon me if I'm asking a stupid question here, but what do you mean with the "+1 stack"? I'm the the exact same boat as you and I really need to stop slacking with my kanji.
(2017-08-14, 1:43 am)SankakuNeko Wrote: Pardon me if I'm asking a stupid question here, but what do you mean with the "+1 stack"? I'm the the exact same boat as you and I really need to stop slacking with my kanji.

If you go to the review page, you can see how many cards are in each stack (1+-7+). To read about the stacks, check out the help page.
(2017-08-14, 12:15 pm)shintoo Wrote:
(2017-08-14, 1:43 am)SankakuNeko Wrote: Pardon me if I'm asking a stupid question here, but what do you mean with the "+1 stack"? I'm the the exact same boat as you and I really need to stop slacking with my kanji.

If you go to the review page, you can see how many cards are in each stack (1+-7+). To read about the stacks, check out the help page.

Oh, I just assumed we were talking about anki. Rather silly considering the page we're on Blush  Cheers!