Back

Japanese Learner Stereotypes

Those Interested In Anything But The Language
These people seem to be a lot more interested in discussing anything but the actual target language or culture. When you see that they've posted in a forum thread you can be sure that they've derailed it to hell already. Also not uncommon for these people is ignoring key words in any request made in the opening post to a thread, and responding with a post that is tangentially related at best. Of course, the tangential relation has nothing to do with the target language nor culture. One has to wonder, why not discuss this stuff on any other platform? Perhaps it is inevitable for a community with a long and rich history of being unable to stay on topic.

The Unfounded Experts
These people are very keen to give advice when they really have no business doing so. They will make strong statements that cannot be backed up by hard evidence. Sometimes they will try and bring in knowledge from other domains; however the connection to language learning is tenuous at best. While the unsuspecting may be led astray by language composed with an air of expertise (and an obese ego), the ones who have been around the block for many years are undoubtedly face-palming. Naturally, these "experts" never actually address any criticism and continue to ignore any opposition to their claims.
Quote:These people are very keen to give advice when they really have no business doing so.

that sentence makes me tingle. seems it could be me Confused  since I feel like I ended up trying to poorly answer questions whereas I should be the one asking...^^; hope I'm not completely that guy though...
(2017-11-11, 2:52 am)karageko Wrote: Those Interested In Anything But The Language
These people seem to be a lot more interested in discussing anything but the actual target language or culture. When you see that they've posted in a forum thread you can be sure that they've derailed it to hell already. Also not uncommon for these people is ignoring key words in any request made in the opening post to a thread, and responding with a post that is tangentially related at best. Of course, the tangential relation has nothing to do with the target language nor culture. One has to wonder, why not discuss this stuff on any other platform? Perhaps it is inevitable for a community with a long and rich history of being unable to stay on topic.

I can think of at least one person this fits.
Thanksgiving Sale: 30% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS Subscriptions! (Nov 13 - 22)
JapanesePod101