Back

What type of "Cards" are in your Core 2k/6k Deck?

Hello everyone!

Was your original "Core 2k/6k deck" only had Kanji-Vocab --> English Translation cards? Or, Did I somehow messed up the note types and it consequently deleted the English Translation --> Kanji-Vocab cards? Because mine has no English --> Kanji cards.

If this is how the deck comes, then I need to create the "the English Translation --> Kanji-Vocab" cards as well. If not, I will try to find a way to fix the deck.

Thank you in advance for your comments.
Edited: 2017-07-15, 5:36 pm
You greatly benefit in higher retention rate if your deck has at least three types of cards (elements in the braces are not target of testing):
  • "Kanji --> Meaning(+Reading)" (e.g. 鐘楼 --> bell tower (しょうろう))
  • "Meaning  --> Reading(+Kanji)"  (e.g. bell tower --> しょうろう(鐘楼))
  • "Reading --> Meaning(+Kanji)" (e.g. しょうろう --> bell tower(鐘楼))
And ideally, you would include in your cards audio so you could see the "Reading" as well as hear it.
(2017-07-19, 4:26 am)Inny Jan Wrote: You greatly benefit in higher retention rate if your deck has at least three types of cards (elements in the braces are not target of testing):
  • "Kanji --> Meaning(+Reading)" (e.g. 鐘楼 --> bell tower (しょうろう))
  • "Meaning  --> Reading(+Kanji)"  (e.g. bell tower --> しょうろう(鐘楼))
  • "Reading --> Meaning(+Kanji)" (e.g. しょうろう --> bell tower(鐘楼))
And ideally, you would include in your cards audio so you could see the "Reading" as well as hear it.

How do you get 3 types simultaneously?  I tried this and my deck wanted to completely finish kanji>meaning/reading before moving onto the new card type.

I would totally do this if there was a way to link the 3 bell tower cards.  Can you help me with this?
EPIC SALE: Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! (Sept 18 - 29)
JapanesePod101
generally, you can sort your cards in the browser, "select all" and " "reposition" will make the order of new cards whatever the sort was. so you can sort your cards by "sentence_optimized" field(or whichever) and "reposition" them.
(2017-07-19, 7:24 pm)yogert909 Wrote: generally, you can sort your cards in the browser, "select all" and " "reposition" will make the order of new cards whatever the sort was.  so you can sort your cards by "sentence_optimized" field(or whichever) and "reposition" them.

If all hell breaks loose is it easy to get things back?  I've got 11,000+ vocab cards and 3000 kanji cards.  Losing everything would be my worst nightmare.
(2017-07-20, 3:28 am)theadamie Wrote:
(2017-07-19, 7:24 pm)yogert909 Wrote: generally, you can sort your cards in the browser, "select all" and " "reposition" will make the order of new cards whatever the sort was.  so you can sort your cards by "sentence_optimized" field(or whichever) and "reposition" them.

If all hell breaks loose is it easy to get things back?  I've got 11,000+ vocab cards and 3000 kanji cards.  Losing everything would be my worst nightmare.

I have done it and it worked perfect. There is nothing to be scared about.

Regarding getting things back, please see below quote from a previous question of mine:

(2016-12-07, 6:14 pm)xtreme1 Wrote: And if you are scared about messing something up. Keep in mind anki keeps full backups everytime you make an upload, that you can restore. They are in your anki folder, usually in user folder under USER\Documents\Anki\PROFILE_NAME\backups. But this wont restore reviews that weren't synced obviously, eg say if you reviewed on anki mobile then overwrote your collection from the desktop
Not Anki, but Memrise. I put up the first 2000 words of an Optimized Core 2k/6k order. I split up the vocabulary and sentences into two. For vocabulary, it's English prompt (I improved many of the Core 2k/6k definitions to remove ambiguity) to typed in Japanese text. For sentences, it's Japanese audio to Japanese sentence (picked from multiple choice). Sentences are less about memorization and more about spaced exposure listening practice. Typing in the answer seems to be working well so far though.

For the next set of 4000 words, I intend to add a cloze deleted sentence and pitch accents as additional information to the English prompt for vocabulary on top of editing/improving the English definitions like I did with the first 2000 words.
(2017-07-20, 3:28 am)theadamie Wrote: If all hell breaks loose is it easy to get things back?  I've got 11,000+ vocab cards and 3000 kanji cards.  Losing everything would be my worst nightmare.
Do you have backups (independently of anything Anki is doing or its on-the-network-server copies)? You should have backups of any data you care about even a little bit :-)
(2017-07-20, 6:26 pm)Nukemarine Wrote: Not Anki, but Memrise. I put up the first 2000 words of an Optimized Core 2k/6k order. I split up the vocabulary and sentences into two. For vocabulary, it's English prompt (I improved many of the Core 2k/6k definitions to remove ambiguity) to typed in Japanese text. For sentences, it's Japanese audio to Japanese sentence (picked from multiple choice). Sentences are less about memorization and more about spaced exposure listening practice. Typing in the answer seems to be working well so far though.

For the next set of 4000 words, I intend to add a cloze deleted sentence and pitch accents as additional information to the English prompt for vocabulary on top of editing/improving the English definitions like I did with the first 2000 words.

You seem more organized than most people I meet in your studies.  I only have a rough guideline for myself :/  Have you taken the JLPT yet?  I'm curious what level you're at and if following such an organized regimen made a big difference.
(2017-07-28, 11:45 pm)theadamie Wrote:
(2017-07-20, 6:26 pm)Nukemarine Wrote: Not Anki, but Memrise. *snip*

You seem more organized than most people I meet in your studies.  I only have a rough guideline for myself :/  Have you taken the JLPT yet?  I'm curious what level you're at and if following such an organized regimen made a big difference.

I've taken the J-CAT twice so far and plan on taking it next month again. I scored 159 August of last year and 171 in February this year. So a high N4 or low N3 but should be better this time I take it.
I made my deck out of the updated files that were uploaded somewhere. By the time I refixed up my core 6k deck (a long time ago I did half of it going normal kanji to furigana/meaning) I had already finished going through Nayr's 5k, so I just did core 6k as audio cards. Then I did all of Nayr's 5k as audio cards too.