Back

Fujitv - Japanese television streaming

So, I don't know if you knew this website but I love it. It's called FUJITV and it let's you to watch Japanese TV. You have available all these channels:

Quote:関東
(関東) NHK総合 (Ch.1)
(関東) 日テレ (Ch.2)
(関東) テレビ朝日 (Ch.3)
(関東) TBS (Ch.4)
(関東) テレビ東京 (Ch.5)
(関東) フジテレビ (Ch.6)
(関東) Tokyo MX1 (Ch.7)
関西
(関西) NHKE テレ (Ch.8)
(関西) サンテレビ1 (Ch.9)
(関西) MBS 每日放送 (Ch.10)
(関西) KBS京都 (Ch.11)
(関西) ABC テレビ (Ch.12)
(関西) テレビ大阪 (Ch.13)
(関西) 関西テレビ (Ch.14)
(関西) 読売テレビ (Ch.15)
BS
NHKBS1 (Ch.16)
NHKBSプレミアム (Ch.17)
BS日テレ (Ch.18)
BS朝日1 (Ch.19)
BS-TBS (Ch.20)
BSジャパン (Ch.21)
BSフジ (Ch.22)
WOWOWプライム (Ch.23)
WOWOWライブ (Ch.24)
WOWOWシネマ (Ch.25)
スター・チャンネル1 (Ch.26)
スター・チャンネル2 (Ch.27)
スター・チャンネル3 (Ch.28)
BS11 (Ch.29)
BS12トゥエルビ (Ch.30)
グリーンチャンネル (Ch.31)
BSアニマックス (Ch.32)
FOXスポーツエンタ (Ch.33)
BSスカパー! (Ch.34)
J SPORTS 1 (Ch.35)
J SPORTS 2 (Ch.36)
J SPORTS 3 (Ch.37)
J SPORTS 4 (Ch.38)
BS釣りビジョン (Ch.39)
イマジカBS・映画 (Ch.40)
BS日本映画専門ch (Ch.41)
ディズニー・チャンネル (Ch.42)
ディーライフ (Ch.43)
CS
東映チャンネル (Ch.44)
衛星劇場 (Ch.45)
チャンネルNECO (Ch.46)
ムービープラスHD (Ch.47)
スカイA (Ch.48)
GAORA (Ch.49)
日テレジータス(Ch.50)
ゴルフネットワークHD (Ch.51)
TAKARAZUKA SKY STAGE (Ch.52)
時代劇専門チャンネルHD (Ch.53)
ファミリー劇場HD (Ch.54)
TBSチャンネル1 (Ch.55)
TBSチャンネル2 (Ch.56)
テレ朝チャンネル1 (Ch.57)
テレ朝チャンネル2 (Ch.58)
チャンネル銀河 (Ch.59)
フジテレビONE (Ch.60)
フジテレビTWO (Ch.61)
フジテレビNEXT (Ch.62)
100%ヒッツ!スペースシャワーTV プラス (Ch.63)
スペースシャワーTV (Ch.64)
MTV HD (Ch.65)
MUSIC ON! TV (Ch.66)
キッズステーション HD (Ch.67)
海外アニメ!カートゥーン ネットワーク (Ch.68)
AT-X (Ch.69)
ディスカバリーチャンネル (Ch.70)
日テレNEWS24 (Ch.71)
TBSニュースバード (Ch.72)

You can also choose any tv show from the 7 previous days as they are stored online so you can watch them at any time. Unfortunately this is a paid website but there is a trial period until June 30th. After that time, you will have to pay more than $25 per month but at least their website is pretty nice and they have available apps for mobile devices too.

One thing that I'm missing is a desktop program or a feature that let's you to watch their channels on your favorite player (specially useful for pip).

So I hope you like this resource!
Looks pretty impressive. $25+/month is overpriced, though. They could probably make more money by lowering the price and attracting more subscribers.
(2017-06-27, 5:36 pm)Stansfield123 Wrote: Looks pretty impressive. $25+/month is overpriced, though.  They could probably make more money by lowering the price and attracting more subscribers.

This is about average for this type of black-market service. 

Now, LiveCA? LiveCA is overpriced (https://liveca.net/online/).
JapanesePod101
I'm very tempted to sign up for this.

My teacher has encouraged me to start listening to tv, dramas, etc.

I told him that I use crunchyroll to watch anime. But he thinks that I'll get better practice watching shows with "real" people, using "real" speech patterns.

The thing that's preventing me from pulling the trigger on this is that I hear that some of these sites are sketchy, etc. It's a shame, really.

There seems to be no equivalent of crunchyroll for "normal" tv shows.
Well, they're all sketchy, in that they're technically illegal. If you can stomach the possibility of spending money and the service going *poof* tomorrow, then they're more convenient than 'other' methods of watching dramas. Also better for discovery, if you're someone who can just sit down and watch TV.

There are pros and cons of course. Biggest con for me is the price.
Crunchyroll has some live action dramas as well as the anime, though since I don't much get on with the genre I don't know how good or poor their selection is. Otherwise, yeah, like Sholum says...
(2017-06-28, 2:10 pm)pm215 Wrote: Crunchyroll has some live action dramas as well as the anime, though since I don't much get on with the genre I don't know how good or poor their selection is. 

Very poor. An extremely limited selection of what's available, and none of the recent most popular in Japan (no 逃げ恥, no タラレバ, no キントリ, no 母になる, etc.). The illegal services are your best bet, sadly.
Likewise, Viki https://www.viki.com/countries/japan has a pretty small library, all older series. But there are some travel shows as well as dramas, and it's free and legal. Some shows also have at least partial JP subs.
I have a £4 monthly subscription to Viki. It's fine for the time being, as I probably won't run out of dramas to watch for quite some time. I did look at all the black market options but they are all overpriced in my opinion. $25 a months is good value for money only if you watch a LOT, which I don't.

I don't have a problem with the fact that these services are dodgy (because what can you do when there are so few legit options?), or with the possibility that they may disappear any day, because the maximum I'd lose is a month's subscription. It's the price that's the problem.

The pricing defies logic. It's not as though these services are paying a lot of royalty fee to the Japanese producers. For all I can tell, they pay nothing whatsoever, and their cost base should be very low. Quite why they price themselves so high is a mystery to me.
(2017-06-29, 7:02 am)tokaimoto Wrote: The pricing defies logic. It's not as though these services are paying a lot of royalty fee to the Japanese producers. For all I can tell, they pay nothing whatsoever, and their cost base should be very low. Quite why they price themselves so high is a mystery to me.

It's not that high, though. It's around $25/mo. for every single channel that streams from Japan, including pay channels like WOWOW. That's a fraction of the cost of cable TV. In the US, NHK tries to sell TV Japan via cable for $25/mo. for a SINGLE CHANNEL (and a single channel that sucks to boot).
If the goal is to learn, does it matter that it is live TV? Couldn't we put a list of quality Japanese channels on YouTube or other similar platforms?

I mean I follow some channels on YT they put out so much content I can hardly watch all of it.

The trick though is to find quality content with all the garbage that the YT homepage keeps pushing.

edit: oh, and YT also has bunch of live streams.
Edited: 2017-06-29, 9:13 am
I don't mind the price but I sometimes have a few seconds buffering while watching videos whereas I have a good connection so I'm hesitant. I doubt being a "premium" member will make those problems disappear.
(2017-06-29, 9:13 am)Kanken Wrote: I don't mind the price but I sometimes have a few seconds buffering while watching videos whereas I have a good connection so I'm hesitant. I doubt being a "premium" member will make those problems disappear.

That's useful to know.

Does the buffering occur once or twice before going away, or is it so bad that it kills the flow?

And does it occur every time you watch, or maybe like once or twice a week?

Another thought: These questions are getting asked so often nowadays that perhaps we should make a sticky thread with the various options and their pros and cons.
Edited: 2017-06-29, 10:17 am
(2017-06-29, 9:11 am)ファブリス Wrote: If the goal is to learn, does it matter that it is live TV? Couldn't we put a list of quality Japanese channels on YouTube or other similar platforms?

I mean I follow some channels on YT they put out so much content I can hardly watch all of it.

The trick though is to find quality content with all the garbage that the YT homepage keeps pushing.

This is what I do (because I can find plenty of science and history content), but I doubt that people looking for J-dramas are going to have that desire fulfilled by YT, except for shows that have been recorded.
(2017-06-29, 10:53 am)sholum Wrote:
(2017-06-29, 9:11 am)ファブリス Wrote: If the goal is to learn, does it matter that it is live TV? Couldn't we put a list of quality Japanese channels on YouTube or other similar platforms?

This is what I do (because I can find plenty of science and history content), but I doubt that people looking for J-dramas are going to have that desire fulfilled by YT, except for shows that have been recorded.

That's correct. Dramas are ripped off by Fuji et. al. shortly after they're put up. Some variety can be seen as well, but it's usually in a minified window surrounded by a border (I'm guessing to defeat automated copyright detection), which makes it hard to watch. And practically no news/morning shows are put on YT. It's much easier to subscribe to one of the services mentioned above and use their 7-day replay feature to watch my favorite dramas and variety and whatnot.
Would anyone like to or be able to write a post comparing the various black market services, Fuji, Sakura,...?

Hi Fabrice, 

I would be very interested in this.

As I mentioned in other threads:
  • I will be traveling to Japan in December
  • I watch a bunch of anime on crunchy roll
  • My teacher recommended I migrate from watching anime to dramas or other programs that have "real people using real Japanese". He says that it will help my listening comprehension. (And that in turn should help me get more out of my upcoming trip to Japan).
Once I started watching fuji TV I saw exactly what my teacher meant. The difference in how language is used by dramas or any kind of "real" scenario is just so different than how it's used in anime.

Any recommendations you have on youtube channels to watch would be welcome. As you pointed out, I don't have a particular need to watch live tv. 

My only concern right now is to find content that's appropriate for my skill level. I guess that I'm about N3 right now. So I can't watch the bulk of native material out there.

Any recommendations you have would be welcome!
Edited: 2017-06-29, 12:29 pm
(2017-06-29, 11:34 am)tokaimoto Wrote: Would anyone like to or be able to write a post comparing the various black market services, Fuji, Sakura,...?

It changes so often that someone would need to devote themselves to keeping such a thread up to date. In the meantime, there's a large, ongoing thread on D-Addicts on the subject: http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=73546. I'd highly recommend starting from the end, as over half of the services discussed when the thread began are now dead.
(2017-06-29, 2:05 pm)gaiaslastlaugh Wrote:
(2017-06-29, 11:34 am)tokaimoto Wrote: Would anyone like to or be able to write a post comparing the various black market services, Fuji, Sakura,...?

It changes so often that someone would need to devote themselves to keeping such a thread up to date. In the meantime, there's a large, ongoing thread on D-Addicts on the subject: http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=73546. I'd highly recommend starting from the end, as over half of the services discussed when the thread began are now dead.

Going to pitch in here that I found a service that I think beats them all - JapanIPTV. You can order here: https://japannettv.com/shop/index.php?ro...uct_id=100

It's $26/mo. (less if you order ahead). It not only comes with seven-day rewind, but also the killer feature of downloading past programs as .mp4 files for viewing on the go. I have the new 月曜から夜ふかし up for the bus ride home!
Note that if you have Netflix, you have a lot of good listening practice material with Terrace House.
the signal is awesome! god i remember keyhole tv from 5 years ago, that was barely watchable! 25/mo and I don't even need a box! it just plays HD in a browser! amazing. totally worth it IMHO...
(2017-07-13, 9:56 am)dtcamero Wrote: the signal is awesome! god i remember keyhole tv from 5 years ago, that was barely watchable! 25/mo and I don't even need a box! it just plays HD in a browser! amazing. totally worth it IMHO...

Oh man I'd forgotten about Keyhole!!

There are some services with better quality, and the quality of the downloads isn't great on a high res laptop. But they're just fine for my iPhone, and they enable me to re-watch the latest ワイドナショー and いってQ on the bus, so I'm not going to complain!
(2017-06-29, 12:14 pm)ariariari Wrote: Any recommendations you have would be welcome!

My bad I meant youtube channels in general. The onlyJapanese channels I currently follow are jiroppe and mugumogu... they don't talk much Wink

I don't study Japanese anymore. Just watch some random things now and then so I'm not the person to ask.

A thread with YT japanese channels would be useful.

There's lots of good stuff on YT.. but to find it >_>
(2017-07-13, 4:48 pm)ファブリス Wrote: A thread with YT japanese channels would be useful.

There's lots of good stuff on YT.. but to find it >_>

Wasn't there a thread like that already? If not (and if no one gets to it before me) then I'll start one when I get home.
(2017-07-11, 5:08 pm)gaiaslastlaugh Wrote:
(2017-06-29, 2:05 pm)gaiaslastlaugh Wrote:

Going to pitch in here that I found a service that I think beats them all - JapanIPTV. You can order here: https://japannettv.com/shop/index.php?ro...uct_id=100

It's $26/mo. (less if you order ahead). It not only comes with seven-day rewind, but also the killer feature of downloading past programs as .mp4 files for viewing on the go. I have the new 月曜から夜ふかし up for the bus ride home!
Looks good and being able to download programs in a mp4 file format a big plus. However, what I don't like is the interface. Even if it's far from being perfect, I was surprised about how neat is the FUJITV interface.

(2017-07-13, 9:56 am)dtcamero Wrote: the signal is awesome! god i remember keyhole tv from 5 years ago, that was barely watchable! 25/mo and I don't even need a box! it just plays HD in a browser! amazing. totally worth it IMHO...

If you spend at least a couple of hours a day I think it's worth it too. As I said I like the interface compared with other products. I miss not being able to play it in an external window/video player to watch TV while I'm browsing the web though.