Back

JLPT Kanji from Kanken level 1?

Hello,

I've been studying the Kanji from the 常用漢字 (Jouyou Kanji) list, which is a little less than 2200 Kanji I believe. If my understanding is correct, those are the Kanji that are commonly used in newspapers and books without providing furigana. If a Kanji is not part of that list, furigana is provided, like in museums for example. 

At some point, I think I might be interested in taking the JLPT N1 exam. I just looked at the list of Kanji and it looks like there are many that are not part of the list. If we use the Kanji Kentei (漢検) levels, about 200 are on level pre-1 and 40 on level 1.
https://www.nihongo-pro.com/kanji-pal/li.../N1/kanken (JLPT N1 by Kanken level) 

Except for a few, I'm not familiar with most of those. 

Could someone tell me if those Kanji are really common and if they're tested on the JLPT N1 exam? Why did they choose those kanji to be part of the JLPT?

Thanks
Edited: 2017-06-26, 7:11 pm
There are 2,136 characters on the present joyo kanji list. Many (but not all) publications will put furigana on kanji that are outside the list.

The JLPT body used to publish a guide book with a suggested list of kanji for each level, but stopped doing so about ten years ago. They later changed the tests and added an extra level.

I'm not sure where the site you linked to got their list from. I would think the joyo kanji would suffice for JLPT level 1.
Edited: 2017-06-26, 8:21 pm
That's odd. I can't remember seeing many of those Kanken level pre 1 or above on N1. I wonder where that site gets its information from.

That said, the organization intentionally no longer publishes any standard lists, so anything that might show up in advanced reading material is theoretically fair game. And it is worth noting that while newspapers and government documents are technically limited by the jouyou rules, books and many other published media are not. Books written for literate adult readers can and do use far more kanji without glossing.

Personally, I prioritized learning the old and new jouyou and have never had a problem with the kanji section of N1. But that list is probably a useful guide to rarer kanji that you might encounter in wider reading. I have seen many though by no means all of them at some point.
JapanesePod101
All the kanji I encountered on the test and in the review materials were commonly used joyo kanji. 

The test purports to cover many "jinmeiyo" kanji as well but they're highly unlikely to appear on the test in my experience.

EDIT: Looking at the list you posted I could recognize only a few of the kanken 1/1.5 kanji but I still had no issues with the kanji portion of the actual test
Edited: 2017-06-26, 10:29 pm
Bear in mind also that the format of the JLPT N1 test doesn't really test kanji knowledge specifically all that much -- it is more interested in vocabulary and reading ability. Even the 'give me the reading' questions ask for readings of words, not individual kanji, and tend to pick words you can't guess simply from knowing common readings. And there are no questions at all that require you to be able to write kanji. So for both N1 study and for daily life purposes I would recommend just aiming to build your reading ability and reading vocabulary -- that will give you enough to pass the N1 kanji questions without studying kanji themselves specifically. (The Kanken test is a completely different beast.)
By way of comparison, here is another list of non-joyo kanji suggested for JLPT1.

This list of 54 kanji comes from the JLPT organization's own content specification book. Note that the book is quite old (published 2006) and both the joyo kanji list and the JLPT test format have changed since then.

In fact their original list was 114 kanji, but 60 of those were incorporated into the new joyo kanji list in 2010 and these are the other 54: 

垢或伊炒嘘嬉噂於嘩霞鞄噛喧梢此匙繍醤咳噌其剃揃只叩忽溜蛋馳蝶呟壷吊撫賑睨濡覗這筈髭紐吠惚殆撒蒔稀勿尤貰茹蘇碗.

The book also gives a vocabulary example for each kanji, usually a relatively common word.
Edited: 2017-06-28, 6:24 am
(2017-06-28, 6:18 am)Katsuo Wrote: 垢或伊炒嘘嬉噂於嘩霞鞄噛喧梢此匙繍醤咳噌其剃揃只叩忽溜蛋馳蝶呟壷吊撫賑睨濡覗這筈髭紐吠惚殆撒蒔稀勿尤貰茹蘇碗.

The book also gives a vocabulary example for each kanji, usually a relatively common word.

Just at a quick glance, I see quite a few kanji that are fairly common, IMO.
垢, 嘘, 嬉, 噂, 鞄, 喧 ...
Actually, I recognize most of them from regular reading.

If you're wanting to study extra kanji, I'd definitely suggest those. I didn't even realize that things like 嬉, 鞄, and 這 weren't jouyou kanji, since I see them so often.