Back

How to study readings through kanji koohii

I'm still pretty much in the beginning of my heisig studies, will reach kanji 300 today, but I'm pretty much set in my mind that I will be taking rtk 2 so I was wondering....How do you also srs kanji readings with kanji koohii software? This site has helped me greatly so far in my heisig studies and I want to keep using it for the readings as well, but as far as I noticed there is nowhere to click on the kanji during srsing to make it display the readings, do I have to manually insert them or something?
The main on-yomi is displayed below the kanji in its study page. Is that not enough?
Kanji Koohii does not directly support readings on flashcards.

It supports indirectly by enabling "example words" from your Account Settings page or when using the Kanji Reviews (non SRS), so you get readings in context of words.

Although it used to be better with the kanji reading highlight in the example words. Hopefully I can fix this someday when I'm not continually having issues with server, spammers and whatnot. >_>

ps: you can also lookup dictionary while reviewing (D).
Edited: 2017-06-19, 6:35 am
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
(2017-06-19, 3:42 am)KameDemaK Wrote: The main on-yomi is displayed below the kanji in its study page. Is that not enough?

Well, I actually wanted to srs the readings.

(2017-06-19, 6:34 am)ファブリス Wrote: Kanji Koohii does not directly support readings on flashcards.

It supports indirectly by enabling "example words" from your Account Settings page or when using the Kanji Reviews (non SRS), so you get readings in context of words.

Although it used to be better with the kanji reading highlight in the example words. Hopefully I can fix this someday when I'm not continually having issues with server, spammers and whatnot. >_>

ps: you can also lookup dictionary while reviewing (D).

That's too bad that the website doesn't support srs for the readings, is there any special reason to that?
Well anyway, I guess I'll either use the non srs functionality or refer to heisig 2 itself as I srs the kanji.
Edited: 2017-06-19, 6:53 pm
What do you mean by SRS the readings?

IF I had the time, or say if a contributor helps me someday, what I planned was to add words to cards. Then you can have the readings highlighted. And you cna pick words to match RTK 2 , or the ON or the KUN to your preference. Whereas atm, the example words are picked at random from common entries.

Quote:(...) is there any special reason to that?

The reason is I'm some random 42 year old dude from Belgium who started "Reviewing the Kanji" back in summer of 2005 to learn php / web development, and I somehow kept the sites going till now in my spare time. This site is too niche, and there is too much competition out there for me to live off my websites. So I do what I can.

ps: you CAN customize keywords with a reading if you want some people do that, it's a bit tedious though.
Edited: 2017-06-20, 5:48 am
(2017-06-20, 5:46 am)ファブリス Wrote: What do you mean by SRS the readings?

What I mean by that is to have a flashcard with the kanji on one side and all of the readings on the other side, so people can practice recalling the readings of the single kanji.

(2017-06-20, 5:46 am)ファブリス Wrote: The reason is I'm some random 42 year old dude from Belgium who started "Reviewing the Kanji"  back in summer of 2005 to learn php / web development, and I somehow kept the sites going till now in my spare time. This site is too niche, and there is too much competition out there for me to live off my websites. So I do what I can.

ps: you CAN customize keywords with a reading if you want some people do that, it's a bit tedious though.

I've realized that I might have sounded critical about the site but that wasn't my intention, I really appreciate what you're doing with both kanji koohii and the forums, I think you've done a great job with the sites so I'm sorry if I sounded critical.

(2017-06-20, 5:46 am)ファブリス Wrote: IF I had the time, or say if a contributor helps me someday, what I planned was to add words to cards. Then you can have the readings highlighted. And you cna pick words to match RTK 2 , or the ON or the KUN to your preference. Whereas atm, the example words are picked at random from common entries.
I think adding words to match RTK 2 is a good idea but I was thinking that if that was to be done in the actual usual SRS cards it might kinda mess the SRS up, because let's say one person writes the kanji right but forgets the readings, how would the program measure their progress? I may be wrong here but maybe SRS isn't capable of keeping up with two categories at the same time.
Edited: 2017-06-20, 10:53 am
@luri_ I wasn't defensive at all. Smile More like irritated I can't do more atm.

I wonder if people even do that in Anki though? With the amount of reviews you have between kanji and vocab, I'm not sure it's a good idea to review isolated readings.

I mean *if¨I ever get the time, I thought the neatest thing was to allow to "star" dictionary entries just like stories, so you customize kanji cards with vocab that you find useful, or matches whatever book / course you use. (edit to clarify in plain english => example word + highlighted reaading is the reading in context).

Thing is , in RTK 2 heisig tries to make the most of the mess by organizing some bits around ON readings mostly.. but you'd figure these out oyurself through a lot of review with example words I think (because there are some correspondances comng from chinee bteween radicals and ON).
Edited: 2017-06-20, 11:01 am
(2017-06-20, 11:00 am)ファブリス Wrote: I wonder if people even do that in Anki though? With the amount of reviews you have between kanji and vocab, I'm not sure it's a good idea to review isolated readings.

I mean *if¨I ever get the time, I thought the neatest thing was to allow to "star" dictionary entries just like stories, so you customize kanji cards with vocab that you find useful, or matches whatever book / course you use. (edit to clarify in plain english => example word + highlighted reaading is the reading in context).

Thing is , in RTK 2 heisig tries to make the most of the mess by organizing  some bits around ON readings mostly.. but you'd figure these out oyurself through a lot of review with example words I think (because there are some correspondances comng from chinee bteween radicals and ON).
You do have a point about people not having time to also srs kanji readings, that said I'm pretty much decided to do RTK 2 though, because despite what you said that we can ultimately learn the ON readings through vocabulary, what is true, I think that the subject is so complicated and daunting that a bit of structure to help you pull through it, even if not comprehensible, is help enough.

Now even though RTK 2 could be a useful resource in my opinion, maybe srs readings really is not necessary and you could just practice by assimilating vocabulary as you go through the book. About the customizable dictionary entries to each kanji, I think it could be useful if the readings are hidden somehow and you can make them appear by clicking on the words.
If you're going to SRS readings, I recommend you SRS the signal primitives and the reading they carry. Focus on the pure groups and the semi-pure groups with one exception. For kanji that don't belong to those groups I recommend learning their readings through vocabulary. But SRSing 2200 kanji with their readings is overkill and confusing, imho. My suggestion brings a bit of order to all that chaos.